"Bad contact between games" error

SegaMan

Re: "Bad contact between games" error

Unread post by SegaMan »

I exchanged the original power supply for one with 4A. The error message has not occurred since then.
SegaMan

Unread post by SegaMan »

I am confused.

Played a lot in the last weeks and never hat any issue.
After the last core update the "bad contact betwwen..." error is back :(
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

I get the "bad contact" error on one game (that I have tested). On Fatal Fury 3, when it first loads, right after the Unibios splash screen, it gives me the error (attached). (I am still on the 20200622 core, though. MVS, Unibios 4, NTSC.) However, if I go into the Unibios menu first, and then exit it, even without changing any settings, the game loads without error.

I have launch a variety of other games, including ones that require 64mb and 128mb. Bad Apple runs fine, too (let it run all the way through a few times).

Edit: RAM is stable at 140 per memtest.
Attachments
badcontact.jpg
badcontact.jpg (357.73 KiB) Viewed 10160 times
SegaMan

Unread post by SegaMan »

Knightmare in the Dark.
Everytime in the Intro or at Info screen after pushing the start button.

Played this game a lot in the last weeks without any problem.
After the last update i cant play it anymore.
And it is not the only game, Blazing Star also dont run anymore.
Attachments
badcontact.jpg
badcontact.jpg (503.71 KiB) Viewed 10138 times
Gymcrash

Unread post by Gymcrash »

ash2fpga wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:51 pm I get the "bad contact" error on one game (that I have tested). On Fatal Fury 3, when it first loads, right after the Unibios splash screen, it gives me the error (attached). (I am still on the 20200622 core, though. MVS, Unibios 4, NTSC.) However, if I go into the Unibios menu first, and then exit it, even without changing any settings, the game loads without error.

I have launch a variety of other games, including ones that require 64mb and 128mb. Bad Apple runs fine, too (let it run all the way through a few times).

Edit: RAM is stable at 140 per memtest.
Can confirm I also have the same issue with Ff3 on first load. A reset and apply from the core menu boots it in nicely afterwards. It's not every time, usually when I register the controller too early or try and get the core menu back up too soon.
ash2fpga

Looks like the FF3 issue is already reported here:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_MiSTer/issues/95
PadPoet

Unread post by PadPoet »

I'm still on the May core (MiSTer main and Neo Geo) and just got this after the Unibios 3.3 splash screen on SNK Vs Capcom Plus.

I'll report if I get this again.
EvilDrMike

Unread post by EvilDrMike »

Just want to add I had the same issue and it turned out to be a bad sd-card. Other cores were running fine but Neo Geo just would not work just giving the "bad contact" error. I tested the card on a PC using h2testw which showed errors on the card. Swapped out for a new one and all has been fine since then
Jinxz

Unread post by Jinxz »

Having the same issue unfortunately. I bought mine from Misterfpga.co.uk
In this thread there seems to be 3 solutions:
- Swapping for a new module which is confirmed to work,

And 2 solutions that work for 1 person but hasn't been confirmed by more then themselves
- other PSU
- other SD card

I can try the SD card since I should have a spare one but I don't have a spare PSU.
Fingers crossed
DiacloneFX

Unread post by DiacloneFX »

I get this error just with the first FatalFury (romset fatalfury1). I am using Unibios v4.0 but the game doesn't start no matter the region and mode I select, and it doesn't start with the original bios either (black screen)r.
All the other above games which did not work for other users seem to work fine on my MiSTer, I can run Metal Slug 1 with no errors, and even more demanding games like Garou Mark of The Wolves runs perfectly. And Fata Fury 3 shows the error only the first time I run it, then it runs fine like everybody else.
It's just Fatal Fury which doesn't really want to run, and it makes me sad. I have the Darksoft release of all the games.
aagstn

Unread post by aagstn »

Thought I might have this issue, but it was just a problem with how I was transferring the ROMs to the SD card.
DiacloneFX

Unread post by DiacloneFX »

aagstn wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:43 am Thought I might have this issue, but it was just a problem with how I was transferring the ROMs to the SD card.
Thanks for the reply, I found out that this was my issue too.

I was transferring the uncompressed files via Filezilla, and the transfer mode was set to "Auto", which means that some files were mistakenly transferred as text files. Forcing the transfer mode to "Binary" solved the issue for me.
JB Lars

Unread post by JB Lars »

DiacloneFX wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 am I was transferring the uncompressed files via Filezilla, and the transfer mode was set to "Auto", which means that some files were mistakenly transferred as text files. Forcing the transfer mode to "Binary" solved the issue for me.
Thanks for this! Looks like that solved it for me!
Phoenix

Unread post by Phoenix »

JB Lars wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:47 pm
DiacloneFX wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 am I was transferring the uncompressed files via Filezilla, and the transfer mode was set to "Auto", which means that some files were mistakenly transferred as text files. Forcing the transfer mode to "Binary" solved the issue for me.
Thanks for this! Looks like that solved it for me!
I had the exact same issue, forcing to "binary" solved mine too, thanks a lot guys :)
ash2fpga

I switched from FileZilla to WinSCP partly because of this. It seems to have transfer settings that work better, "out of the box."