"Bad contact between games" error

Crystal

"Bad contact between games" error

Unread post by Crystal »

After setting up the NeoGeo core, with needed bioses and romsets.xml and the games themselves, in every game I have tried[Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001, Metal Slug X, Neo Bomberman, SNK vs Capcom], sooner or later, it crashes, with a message that pins on the cartridge should be cleaned. Reloading or loading other game doesnt work, the core needs to be restarted every time. Whats behind this? Is it bad roms? Could it be that the roms are on a share, instead of the sd card?

After 2 hours at 130MHz with no failed test, I rebooted and tried again, got to play metal slug one more level further and then same thing but this time, even the error itself was graphically glitched, which wasn't before. Bad apple demo runs absolutely perfect though.

mxnacg0.jpeg
mxnacg0.jpeg (4.81 MiB) Viewed 20258 times

Hashes of bios files and roms
000-lo.lo MD5: FC7599F3F871578FE9A0453662D1C966
sfix.sfix MD5: AA2B5D0EAE4158FFC0D7D63481C7830B
uni-bios.rom MD5: 4f0aeda8d2d145f596826b62d563c4ef
Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001 (mslug).neo MD5: ecd5c861252dec0503cead1fb0ae1da1
Metal Slug 4 (mslug4).neo MD5: 649c665013f53236e798462266f05085
Metal Slug X (mslugx).neo MD5: 9f40ef01c18b11e3d864e74bf02e0011
Neo Bomberman (neobombe).neo MD5: 18e65c785f0d983dc26f000a7747a1ed
SNK vs. Capcom (svc).neo MD5: f01e3a4169af00be7a17585db3ea1068

MiSTer_20200519
NeoGeo_20200510.rbf
Brettster

Re: "Bad contact between games" error

Unread post by Brettster »

Have you tried moving a couple of roms over to the SD card and running locally? maybe your network is going to sleep on your server?
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
Crystal

Unread post by Crystal »

I tried that too but this time, its a "Hardware Test Failed" crash in the middle of the game
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Crystal wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:49 am After setting up the NeoGeo core, with needed bioses and romsets.xml and the games themselves, in every game I have tried[Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001, Metal Slug X, Neo Bomberman, SNK vs Capcom], sooner or later, it crashes, with a message that pins on the cartridge should be cleaned. Reloading or loading other game doesnt work, the core needs to be restarted every time. Whats behind this? Is it bad roms? Could it be that the roms are on a share, instead of the sd card?

After 2 hours at 130MHz with no failed test, I rebooted and tried again, got to play metal slug one more level further and then same thing but this time, even the error itself was graphically glitched, which wasn't before. Bad apple demo runs absolutely perfect though.

Hashes of bios files and roms
000-lo.lo MD5: FC7599F3F871578FE9A0453662D1C966
sfix.sfix MD5: AA2B5D0EAE4158FFC0D7D63481C7830B
uni-bios.rom MD5: 4f0aeda8d2d145f596826b62d563c4ef
Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001 (mslug).neo MD5: ecd5c861252dec0503cead1fb0ae1da1
Metal Slug 4 (mslug4).neo MD5: 649c665013f53236e798462266f05085
Metal Slug X (mslugx).neo MD5: 9f40ef01c18b11e3d864e74bf02e0011
Neo Bomberman (neobombe).neo MD5: 18e65c785f0d983dc26f000a7747a1ed
SNK vs. Capcom (svc).neo MD5: f01e3a4169af00be7a17585db3ea1068

MiSTer_20200519
NeoGeo_20200510.rbf
I had similar problems due to a faulty 128 MB SD-RAM module, it passed the memtest, but when loading games, I ran either in graphical corruption or error messages. I could pin the error down to the SD-RAM easily, because the games worked fine on my old 32 MB module.
Crystal

Unread post by Crystal »

if it passes the memtest and something like bad apple demo has no artefacts or glitches[afaik, it should push the ram module], then how can it be related to ram issue? is the memtest not enough of indication, whether the ram is good or not?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Crystal wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:28 am if it passes the memtest and something like bad apple demo has no artefacts or glitches[afaik, it should push the ram module], then how can it be related to ram issue? is the memtest not enough of indication, whether the ram is good or not?
I didn't ran the Bad Apple demo, so I can't say anything about this, but the memtest working doesn't mean that the RAM is okay. There was a discussion on the Atari-Forum about this.
Crystal

Unread post by Crystal »

Does memtest have any value then? Tried reseating the RAM, twice, and while I dont get any of these errors again[at least from the short testing of first metal slug], there are now a lot of little graphical glitches and slowdowns, more frequent as the game goes on, which werent present before, when it was 'just' crashing. Its the XXSD 128MB module from https://misterfpga.co.uk. Are these modules unreliable?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Crystal wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:21 pm Does memtest have any value then? Tried reseating the RAM, twice, and while I dont get any of these errors again[at least from the short testing of first metal slug], there are now a lot of little graphical glitches and slowdowns, more frequent as the game goes on, which werent present before, when it was 'just' crashing. Its the XXSD 128MB module from https://misterfpga.co.uk. Are these modules unreliable?
The memtest shows you if a certain module passes at certain frequencies. From what I understood it is not entirely clear, why some modules fail in certain cores. For me everything worked fine after the seller sent me a new module. If your module fails make screenshots and ask the seller for a replacement.
Crystal

Unread post by Crystal »

but thats the strange part, it did not fail for 2 hours at 130MHz. only thing i can go on, is the neogeo issues. i started a new memtest at 130MHz now, ill let it run for few hours and see the results. it was originally sold as reliable at 140MHz, but it failed at that after 47 minutes
EDIT: also tried the bad apple demo again, that one seemed flawless, both image and sound. but actual games are glitchy now[and crashes i have mentioned before]
Brettster

What else do you have plugged into your MiSTer? and are you using it with the supplied power supply?

I have a 1,2 USB hub, analogue IO board with Fan,256GB SD card, 128MB SD ram from Misterfpga.co.uk Logitech wireless keyboard usb and Retrobit Saturn wireless usb dongles
I've just played though, Bad apple demo, all the way though metal slug 1 and Samurai Shodown 5 special (smokemonster set) using the supplied PSU and monitored the whole time with a power meter and it never really drew more than 1.2A during all that time.
just wondered if you had a HDD plugged in or some other setup that might pull more power?
if not then I guess it does only point to the Ram. Are all other cores working ok?
Crystal

Unread post by Crystal »

I have:
  • MiSTer IO Board XL v6.0 with Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX 5V
  • MiSTer SDRAM XXSD 128MB
  • USB Hub v2.1 For MiSTer
  • MiSTer RTC Real Time Clock Board v1.3
  • Audio Tape Input Board (ADC In)
  • MiSTer FPGA Power Supply 5 Volt 4 Amps
all from misterfpga.co.uk
Brettster

well it's unlikely to be a power issue then :(
glenfiay

Unread post by glenfiay »

Try setting your core bios on arcade rather than unibios
this seems to be a unibios related issue first, most of the times it has been solved either by an update (mister, linux, menu, core) or a psu related issue, some people reported using a on-off switch caused power related issues due to the fact the switch did not get enough amperage to the de10-nano

hope those possible problem would help you solve yours :)
Heuristics

Unread post by Heuristics »

I have very nearly exactly the same issue. Also have a 'XXSD 128MB module from https://misterfpga.co.uk'. Memtest passes but metal slug 1 either has graphical glitches and then crashes or just crashes without any glitches.

I tried removing the io board&rtc clock, still glitches&crashes.
I tried supplying the usb hub and the de10 with separate power supplies but still glitching&crashing.
Also tried setting the bios to arcade but same issue.

I have taken some images of what it looks like:
https://imgur.com/a/cxqDADB

I have:
USB Hub v2.1 For MiSTer
MiSTer RTC Real Time Clock Board v1.3
MiSTer SDRAM XXSD 128MB
MiSTer FPGA Power Supply 5 Volt 4 Amps
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

As Chris23235 said, there was a thread with the same issue on the old subforum on Atari-Forum and it was the RAM. Crystal, that you now have different (additional) issues after reseating the RAM leads to this conclusion, too. Same for Heuristics.

Memtest was discussed there, too. If I remember right Memtest will show if a RAM is obviously faulty but it cannot catch every issue there may be?

You can do a CRC-Check with Universe BIOS (http://unibios.free.fr/index.html): Press (A)+(B)+(C) during the BIOS splash screen, there you will find the option to do a CRC check on the ROM. These checks were all OK with the faulty RAM, but it should tell you if your ROM in genereal is faulty.
rickdangerous

Unread post by rickdangerous »

All have the same problem, pcb routing. if anyone need I can fix / service them all for free. A brand new ram is received.

Just pm or send e-mail to geral@retroshop.pt

Thank you,
Ricardo

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt

Heuristics

I have contacted Nat from https://misterfpga.co.uk and he wrote:

"I have just received a information from another MiSTer board maker that on some DE10 Nano boards issues can be present under SegaCD and NeoGeo cores." As well that possibly it could be avoided by not mounting a capacitor. But since that is not expected for customers to do he has shipped me a replacement RAM. So i am happy with such good customer support. Odd issues are expected here and there offcourse-
rickdangerous

Nothing related to caps, and not installing them won't fix board routing or change phases in cores, but anyway i'm glad that situation is resolved.

The only thing related to cap, is to fit in Villena's case.

Crystal

Unread post by Crystal »

I have just got back to this, bit relieved that issue was reproducible and I'm just not going crazy. I have just now messaged Nat from misterfpga.co.uk but according Heuristics, the communication with him should be fine. Thanks anyway, rickdangerous :) I have offered him to send the faulty RAM back for diagnostic, I'll see how it develops. I have also noticed that Nat doesnt offer XXSD anymore, do these models have faulty design or are they more prone to develop an issue?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Crystal wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:16 pm I have just got back to this, bit relieved that issue was reproducible and I'm just not going crazy. I have just now messaged Nat from misterfpga.co.uk but according Heuristics, the communication with him should be fine. Thanks anyway, rickdangerous :) I have offered him to send the faulty RAM back for diagnostic, I'll see how it develops. I have also noticed that Nat doesnt offer XXSD anymore, do these models have faulty design or are they more prone to develop an issue?
It is not a general fault with the design, as the XXSD module I received from my seller works flawless.
Nat

Unread post by Nat »

Crystal, I've posted out a replacement memory module for you today, your package tracking details have been sent via private message and email.
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
paisleyboxers

Unread post by paisleyboxers »

I'm seriously skeptical this is a memory module issue.

I'm having the exact same issue with my neogeo core. I suspect it's something to do with the latest Mister main framework syncing signals funky.
tRAcE

Unread post by tRAcE »

Just to chime in, I also have one of the XXSD module from misterfpga.co.uk (thanks Nat for your great quality and service) and a quick test in Metal Slag 1 showed no problems.

But I have read, that the XXSD module has some pcb routing problems, resulting in latency between data lines. Perhaps some of these symptoms are due to a too narrow production margin for the finished modules.
TLDR: Maybe we for whom it works are on the lucky end and the others not. It could well still be a RAM problem.
paisleyboxers

Unread post by paisleyboxers »

Latest main mister update + neogeo core seems to have already resolved this for me. (today at least)
PadPoet

Unread post by PadPoet »

I had exactly the same thing happening to me constantly a couple of months ago. Usually it was when I was using the Unibios with all cheats turned on to the max. When I haven't used Unibios cheats (but booted with Unibios) I've never came across this "bad ram" issue.

I will retest with Pulstar with all cheats on cause I updated my MiSTer setup yesterday. My ram is from Ricardo (retroshop.pt) and he tested it for two days non-stop in memtest so let's see how this goes.

Edit: Can the people that had problems here report back if they still have problems after the latest updates?
rickdangerous

That is probably a different thing. Just happen with NeoGeo? And MegaCD?

PadPoet

Unread post by PadPoet »

rickdangerous wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:55 pm That is probably a different thing. Just happen with NeoGeo? And MegaCD?

Neo Geo only Ricardo. I guess it's maybe the Neo Geo core uses a lot more ram? I've never had this happen with other cores so far but I haven't tested Mega CD and other a lot. I'll give it a go tomorrow :)
Heuristics

Update:

I received the new RAM module and have had a chance to test it. Before switching the new RAM for the old I made sure to run the update script and test if the old one was still broken by playing metal slug 1 since it can reliably always generate the problem in the first course or early second. The problem was indeed still present. Then I swapped out the RAM and tried again. Tried playing some more metal slug 1 and it appears to now work just fine. Me and the wife have so far managed to complete metal slug 1 and X from start to finish. So as far as I can tell all is now good. Just have to send back the old RAM.
Crystal

Unread post by Crystal »

Today, I have also received the replacement module, from misterfpga.co.uk, this time it was the XS-D v2.5 module. Since Heuristics first updated mister, before trying the new RAM, I have first tried the new RAM module, to rule out software and configuration issue. Tried several games [metal slug 1, metal slug x, snk v capcom, neo bomberman] and runs amazing, no errors or crashes, nor any graphical or sound glitches. After this, I have run the update script and tried again, still great! Also tried few gba game[mmbn2, warioware micro$] and then bad apple demo, all great! Much thanks to Nat from misterfpga.co.uk
SegaMan

Unread post by SegaMan »

Have the same error.

In my case it is Uni Bios 4.0.

When using Uni Bios 3.2 everything is fine.

Ok happy too early. error also occurs with UniBios 3.2.

Never had this issue before.