Vectrex Overlay Autoload?

rhester72
Top Contributor

Vectrex Overlay Autoload?

Unread post by rhester72 »

A recent MiSTer update said that Vectrex now supports autoload of overlays...anyone know how? I've put overlays in /media/fat/Games/Vectrex/overlays, put identically-named Vectrex ROMs in /media/fat/Games/Vectrex, and no manipulation of names, locations, or menu options is getting the overlay to load with the ROM.

Any tips?

JBeau

Re: Vectrex Overlay Autoload?

Unread post by JBeau »

I put te overlays with the exact name as the rom in the same dir. So: MineStorm.vec and MineStorm.ovr in /games/Vectrex/. It autoloads for me.
rhester72
Top Contributor

OK, I tried every combination except that. LOL

Works perfectly, thank you!
OrtWalker

Unread post by OrtWalker »

Is there a link where I can download the overlay files please?
rhester72
Top Contributor

Skeeter

Unread post by Skeeter »

New MiSTer user here and trying to get this going. The games all run great but none of the overlays load, well the bar pops up with a loading screen if I try to manually load them but nothing happens. I have tried placing the overlays in the same folder as the game files and in a folder inside the games folder, so /media/fat/Games/Vectrex and /media/fat/Games/Vectrex/overlays.

I used the overlays from this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=690&hilit=bezels

The game and overlay have been named the same, ie, MineStorm.vec and MineStorm.ovr

I just have the bare bones DE10 Nano with no addons, maybe I need the SDRAM for this?

Thanks for any help,
Skeeter

Unread post by Skeeter »

Turns out my problem above was the SDRAM. After adding 128MB SDRAM the overlays are now working.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Overlays in vectrex and other cores use Sdram usually.
lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

I have 2 Misters with both 128MB Sdram, and overylais don't works, in no one of two,
i don't know what to do
mattsoft

Unread post by mattsoft »

lroby74 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:07 pm I have 2 Misters with both 128MB Sdram, and overylais don't works, in no one of two,
i don't know what to do
In the vectrex directory on your SD card where you put your games (.vec files), put the overlays (.ovr) files. Make sure they have the same name as the game ROMs (e.g., Bedlam.vec and Bedlam.ovr).
lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

mattsoft wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:39 pm In the vectrex directory on your SD card where you put your games (.vec files), put the overlays (.ovr) files. Make sure they have the same name as the game ROMs (e.g., Bedlam.vec and Bedlam.ovr).
This is what I'm already doing and the same pair of files (gamename.vec + gamename.ovr) on my friends' Misters works, only on my 2 Misters it doesn't work.

To be more precise, the overlay file is loaded into memory along with the game but then instead of the colored image, a colored background comes out with a high number of oblique stripes at the top, as if it could not correctly show the image it has. loaded in the ram
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

lroby74 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:56 am
mattsoft wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:39 pm In the vectrex directory on your SD card where you put your games (.vec files), put the overlays (.ovr) files. Make sure they have the same name as the game ROMs (e.g., Bedlam.vec and Bedlam.ovr).
This is what I'm already doing and the same pair of files (gamename.vec + gamename.ovr) on my friends' Misters works, only on my 2 Misters it doesn't work.

To be more precise, the overlay file is loaded into memory along with the game but then instead of the colored image, a colored background comes out with a high number of oblique stripes at the top, as if it could not correctly show the image it has. loaded in the ram
Are you using the latest Main Mister file ?

かすりん

lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

kathleen wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:26 am Are you using the latest Main Mister file ?
Yes, i have both Misters connected to LAN and each day i run update_all.sh script :D
lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

On a fresh installed Microsd overlays works, but it's not a good news for me, i need to fix issue on my main microsd card
lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

I've solved my issue, simply deleting Vectrex*.* files from "config" folder and restarting Mister..
Tested on 2 Misters, work perfectly on both!