SEGA Dreamcast/VMU Core

ayanami0

SEGA Dreamcast/VMU Core

Unread post by ayanami0 »

we will probably never be getting a SEGA Dreamcast Core for the MiSTer platform, Due to die limitation.  
Elysian Shadows did a FPGA implementation of VMU for his master thesis, and shared his presentation and paper on the web. Unfortunately the website got shut down, I tried to look for the presentation in way-back machine, no luck. However this is the video presentation he gave. Very interesting watch. just thought to post this out to the forum so people know about this

Anyway, this VMU FPGA core will probably be the cloasest we'll get for a DC Core on this platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcdw7fIOlfA

--------------------------
Elysian Shadows

Final project presentation for a graduate-level VLSI class by Falco Girgis. The project attempts to recreate and eventually enhance the Sega Dreamcast's Visual Memory Unit on a single chip using an FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array).

Presentation (PDF):
http://elysianshadows.com/vmu/cpe526_presentation.pdf

Presentation (PowerPoint):
http://elysianshadows.com/vmu/cpe526_presentation.pptx

Project Proposal Paper
(PDF): http://elysianshadows.com/vmu/cpe526_proposal.pdf

I figured that while I'm finishing up my Masters in Computer Engineering, I would attempt to make all of my final projects related to Elysian Shadows. This was hardware design and verification course on VHDL and System Verilog, requiring a final hardware project to be implemented on an FPGA. What better way to integrate a hardware project with the Elysian Shadows project than to recreate the beloved Sega Dreamcast Visual Memory Unit?

The first step was to implement all of the functionality of the original VMU, which was the project's scope for the class. It's about 85% there and will soon be fully playable. This core functionality will remain in the new design for backwards compatibility with existing VMU functionality and software.

The plan is to eventually upgrade the design into a VMUv2.0 with the following features:
1) PC Connectivity: The Steam/PC versions of ES and other homebrew can interface with the device just as the DC would.
2) Mass storage Device: Simply drag and drop save files and other data onto the device.
3) Upgraded Display: Color support, higher resolution, backlit screen.
4) Upgraded Architecture: 16-bit architecture and more powerful instruction set architecture.
5) More Storage Capacity: No more running out of space and needing 10 VMUs.
6) High-Quality Audio: Much more than just a simple buzzer.
7) Rechargeable Batteries: Yes, we're all so goddamn sick of the CR2032 batteries dying every two seconds.
8) Store Multiple Simultaneous VMU Games: No more only allowing one VMU-game per device. The new architecture would allow you to swap between any number of VMU games.

Schoo is out, and I don't plan on taking this many classes at once again any time soon. Look forward to more updates on Elysian Shadows and ElysianVMU coming soon!
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Re: SEGA Dreamcast/VMU Core

Unread post by Moondandy »

Looks like he did this 2-3 years ago, is his code open source and have you tried reaching out to him about porting it to MiSTer? Would be a fun little core to have, there are some interesting homebrews for the VMU.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

The developer of the core mentioned above has popped up in the forum and looking to port his core over to MiSTer, so fingers crossed there will be a VMU core soon!
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

Cute, we'll be able to raise our Chao in Chao's Adventure without burning through batteries