RDI Halcyon Laserdisc Game System Prototype

seastalker

RDI Halcyon Laserdisc Game System Prototype

Unread post by seastalker »

Ben Heck recently did an amazing video:

Super Rare RDI Halcyon Laserdisc Game System Prototype Repair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFpYHY3VFE

I did not know it is basically a standard laserdisc player, but with a separate little module that sits on top of it. THAT module really IS the RDI Halcyon. Ben Heck really helps demystify the system. Wouldn't it be great if someone could get in touch with Ben and the owner of the rare system to do hi-res scans of the board or lend it to a FPGA genius?

Before people say "but it only had two games for it" [Thayer's Quest and NFL Football], please consider the Mega65 project's dedication to re-creating the Commodore 65's prototype in full hardware form. In FPGA, likely ANY keyboard could be used with a custom printout of the original keyboard overlays. Also in FPGA, perhaps instead of solely relying on Laserdisc player support, it could work with a DVD player or video files. For example, in Ben Heck's video, Thayer's Quest had disc rot. I have the DVD release of the game though and image .ISO file. It might be a fun system for homebrew, or ports of other 'Daphne' type titles.

I've always been fascinated with this odd curiosity of a system that never was.
rhester72

Re: RDI Halcyon Laserdisc Game System Prototype

Unread post by rhester72 »

Of course, there's not a thing FPGA can do to recreate a laserdisc, which is kind of the meat-and-potatoes part here. The controller hardly calls for it, as there's a LOT of slop in response time (see: DAPHNE).

I will agree that Ben is a badass. :)
lupin3rd

Unread post by lupin3rd »

seastalker wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:56 pm For example, in Ben Heck's video, Thayer's Quest had disc rot.
I'm curious, did he mention whether or not it was identical to the arcade laserdisc?
rhester72 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:23 pm Of course, there's not a thing FPGA can do to recreate a laserdisc, which is kind of the meat-and-potatoes part here.
Well, while that's technically a true statement since the FPGA isn't an analog video player, others have done just that by implementing software that interprets the commands output from actual motherboards to control a "laserdisc" player on a SBC. See the Dexter project for more information.

What's cool about the laserdisc replacement options is that in some cases, higher definition versions of the videos have been sourced or upscaled and cleaned up to create better-than-the-original. Of course, if you're using a MiSTer to recreate an experience as authentically as possible, then you're probably also trying to avoid too much enhancement.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

rhester72 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:23 pm Of course, there's not a thing FPGA can do to recreate a laserdisc, which is kind of the meat-and-potatoes part here.
The Domesday Duplicator / ld-decode projects may beg to differ. :)
rhester72

Unread post by rhester72 »

ash2fpga wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:02 pm
The Domesday Duplicator / ld-decode projects may beg to differ. :)
That neat! Still, it's acting to assist as part of capture, it's not playing the role of laserdisc LOL