Odyssey2 Core Dead?

djsquare

Odyssey2 Core Dead?

Unread post by djsquare »

I remember when the Odyssey 2 core came out back in 2018 and thinking this really cool. I haven't seen any updates on this poor core since about the time it was released, not even the framework has been updated. I'm wondering if this core is just dead at this point. I think the Odyssey 2 is fun system and if you haven't tried Attack of the Timelord, try it because it's a great game...even without the voice enhancements
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Re: Odyssey2 core dead?

Unread post by Moondandy »

Sorg is currently going through the cores and updating the Framework on all of them, so hopefully he will do this as well.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

What does it actually mean "updating the framework", in laymans terms? Basically, updating the core with latest additions and improvements?
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

The framework is basically the common stuff that all cores share, which integrate with MiSTer. When there's a new global feature like custom aspect ratio, each core has to be updated to support it.
djsquare

Unread post by djsquare »

I'm just a bit concerned that at this point that core is dead an no longer being worked on. I would love to be wrong. I wish I could dive into dive into development myself but I'm way too dumb contribute in any meaningful way
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Was this one that someone ported over from MiST? It feels like an orphan someone could pick up if they wanted, there are actually some nice things that could be added into the core to bring some very nice improvements. There were three expansion modules, and there was a successor released in Europe that had higher quality games on them, the Videopac+/Jopac, so (presumably) the core could be upgraded to support Videopac+/Jopac.

Expansion modules:

The Voice: provides speech synthesis and enhanced sound effects. Unlike Intellivoice, games compatible with The Voice did not require it; Danny Goodman of Creative Computing Video & Arcade Games predicted "that eliminates any incentive to buy the $100 voice module".
NOTE: Kevtris added this module into his Odyssey2 core on the NT Mini.

Chess Module: the Odyssey 2 did not have enough memory and computing power for a decent implementation of chess on its own, so the C7010 chess module contained a secondary CPU with its own extra memory to run the chess program.

Videopac+/Jopac-compatible only, Microsoft Basic. The rare C7420 Home Computer Module, made available in 1983 by Philips, was a costly extension for the newer Videopac+ and Jopac consoles only. It went with a thick A4 manual, and required an optional external tape recorder to save the programs. This module was the sole valuable justification of the presence of a so-called keyboard, which was supposedly designed to look like a hybrid educational toy, as read in header lines describing earlier this family of pluri-purpose consoles, even in the TV commercials that echoed the slogan written on these brand-new machines: “Video Computer”. Unfortunately, this late niche concept, even limited to learning game code contrary to the more professional packaging, could not resist at all the already overwhelming market of the real 8-bit home computers, where the Atari 400 shared the same look in 1979, surprisingly. [The latter was advertised itself: « The affordable home computer that's easy to use even for people who've never used a computer before ».] This expensive module is not to be confused with the cheap cartridge #9: Computer Intro!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnavox_ ... ifications