Game & Watch Core

Milongero

Re: Game & Watch Core

Unread post by Milongero »

mrtomato wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:22 pm
Moondandy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:12 pm Hopefully a kind person will make a pack of the compatible rom files, I had a quick look and couldn't find any roms.
I've donwloaded this romset https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ouABwh ... 86rko/view but games are in *.mgw format. I do not have any idea how to convert them to BIN.
Hello,

has anyone already converted the other games?

thx
mrtomato

Unread post by mrtomato »

Milongero wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:51 pm
mrtomato wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:22 pm
Moondandy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:12 pm Hopefully a kind person will make a pack of the compatible rom files, I had a quick look and couldn't find any roms.
I've donwloaded this romset https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ouABwh ... 86rko/view but games are in *.mgw format. I do not have any idea how to convert them to BIN.
Hello,

has anyone already converted the other games?

thx
Probably no one, for now tutorial on Github page about roms generator isn't completed :(
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Hopefully @pierco comes back, looking at his twitter he's been working on a Super Vision core. Be nice if some of the finished cores he has done make it into main.

https://twitter.com/pcornier
Pierco
Core Developer

Unread post by Pierco »

Yes, I'm sorry, I wanted to make a first release of the Supervision core before going back to G&W. I also worked on the HMCS44 MCU so I should be able to port some new VFD games to MiSTer soon.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

It might be an unpopular opinion @pierco, but I'm all for you finishing the Supervision core first then going back to the Game & Watch core. The reason is that MiSTer already has all four Game & Watch Galleries playable on the Game Boy cores which unlocks over half of the Game & Watch library. They're the definitive ways to play G&W imo and also come with modern versions of the games.

Supervision would be a cool core to add because I've never played it before, but I've played G&W to death lol. I'm not saying I don't want the G&W core, but the Supervision core would be a greater priority just in my opinion.
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

On my side, I agree with your opinion @KremlingKuthroat19 it is for me a valid point to say that some of the G&W games can be played vie the GB & GBA core till the G&W core will permit this. I would put also the priority on the Supervision core for the reasons you pointed out. So you have my vote also :-)

かすりん

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Thanks for the update! Supervision is a cool core to get, will need to get the games downloaded.

Are you going to add Scramble and Galaxy II to the main repo?
Pierco
Core Developer

Unread post by Pierco »

It's done, I added the two cores to the main repo.
WolfgangBlack

Unread post by WolfgangBlack »

Pierco wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:03 pm It's done, I added the two cores to the main repo.
Thanks!
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Hey Pierco, did you manage to finish your Supervision core? Good to see you and Alan are making good progress on the Coco.
kathleen
Top Contributor

@Moondandy, nice to hear that the Coco core is moving forward. Not the right section to discuss this but I hope that the ADCin will be taken into account as some program pack request audio input (like the Audio Spectrum Analyzer) and of course to also be able to load real tapes. Will see.

かすりん

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Might be worth you starting a new thread in the right section for Coco and popping a request in, can see if Alan and Pierre can get eyes on it. Also exciting is they are looking at coving some of the clones and cousins as well, so hope for a Dragon 32/64 core which I know at least one person will be very excited about.
kathleen
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:47 am Might be worth you starting a new thread in the right section for Coco and popping a request in, can see if Alan and Pierre can get eyes on it. Also exciting is they are looking at coving some of the clones and cousins as well, so hope for a Dragon 32/64 core which I know at least one person will be very excited about.
You're absolutely right, just need to figure out how to start this in a proper way, I'm use to answer to already existing threads and never created a new one by my own :-(.
Anyway, a Dragon 32/64 already exists and works pretty well.

かすりん

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Started a new thread in other computers section:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1418
kathleen
Top Contributor

Thank you so much @Moondandy for having started it. You're much faster than me :-)

かすりん

jordi

Unread post by jordi »

mrtomato wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:38 am
Moondandy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:46 pm Thanks for the files Mr Tomato, what guide were you looking at?
I found that on GitHub page there is some html file to "port" games but, I am looking for clean way to convert roms from that pack that I posted to BIN files.

https://github.com/pcornier/GnW_MiSTer/ ... ster/tools

Also read me isn't completed yet for now how to use this, so core author posted one game that for now is playable by this core
It's feasable then to 'migrate' such code from the HTML to a javascript file and execute 'in batch' using 'node.js' commandline.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Hopefully Pierco can revisit this core, would be nice to get these games working on MiSTer.
Pierco
Core Developer

Unread post by Pierco »

As soon as Q*Bert core is finished I will make the GnW my priority. I think the core needs to be renamed to GnW_SM510 at some point. Additionally, I would like to experiment with the framebuffer as video output. It makes sense for LCD screens but I need to see if it's possible to start the core on framebuffer and how it is possible to share segment information with the ARM side.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Awesome work. Can't wait to play some Q*Bert
mic_

Unread post by mic_ »

I was wondering what had become of this core since this thread has been idle for a while. Seems like Pierco has recently started working on it again, and while it apparently is far from done, it's looking pretty good.

Looking forward to the day when I can play Donkey Kong Jr, Bomb Sweeper and Squish in their original form on my MiSTer.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

That looks really good with the improved resolution. Donkey Kong Jr is my favorite G&W game, followed by Donkey Kong II. Looking forward to it being updated. Love being able to play the old tabletop games as well on MiSTer.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Hey Pierco, are you still working on G&W and Supervision or focussing on arcade cores for now? Was great to get Q-Bert recently, many thanks for that.
Pierco
Core Developer

Unread post by Pierco »

Supervision is not yet a priority but I have just restarted the G&W today, I'm confident that I will make good progress this time :)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Pierco wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:46 am Supervision is not yet a priority but I have just restarted the G&W today, I'm confident that I will make good progress this time :)
Awesome! That is great news! Really looking forward to seeing your progress.

EDIT: Oh and do you think voices could be added to Q*Bert at some point? Probably as samples and not emulated. I preordered the Q*Bert Replicade cabinet from New Wave Toys, it even has the kicker, really looking forward to that one.
Higgy

Unread post by Higgy »

I will be interested in the 'feel' of Donkey Kong Jr, I've been playing mine since at least 1986 (I found when I took it apart some years back, that I wrote my name and year in pencil on the PCB!).
But just because I've played it a lot does not mean I am great at it though 😃

I don't know if it the logic or 'muscle memory' but on Donkey Kong JR I can move the character along fast. On Donkey Kong (which I only recently got) it seems the character is locked to the 'beat/clock' of the system. On DK Jr it seems you can move in-between the 'normal beat' and move fast over say 3 character spacings.
Interesting to hear from people who know Donkey Kong well, if this is also the case, and it is about timing of button presses. The difference in control pads between the 2 games probably makes a bit of difference.
Pierco
Core Developer

Unread post by Pierco »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:34 am EDIT: Oh and do you think voices could be added to Q*Bert at some point? Probably as samples and not emulated. I preordered the Q*Bert Replicade cabinet from New Wave Toys, it even has the kicker, really looking forward to that one.
The Votrax Chip is a complex one. The full schematic is available here: https://og.kervella.org/sc01a/schem/
but I'm not motivated enough to start the Verilog conversion. I tried a sample based emulation but result is very poor, especially between phoneme transitions... but I fully agree with you, Q*Bert without a voice is not really Q*Bert!
mic_

Unread post by mic_ »

I have just restarted the G&W today, I'm confident that I will make good progress this time
Excellent news. I'm looking forward to this core.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Great news! Really looking forward to this one. :-)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Pierco wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:00 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:34 am EDIT: Oh and do you think voices could be added to Q*Bert at some point? Probably as samples and not emulated. I preordered the Q*Bert Replicade cabinet from New Wave Toys, it even has the kicker, really looking forward to that one.
The Votrax Chip is a complex one. The full schematic is available here: https://og.kervella.org/sc01a/schem/
but I'm not motivated enough to start the Verilog conversion. I tried a sample based emulation but result is very poor, especially between phoneme transitions... but I fully agree with you, Q*Bert without a voice is not really Q*Bert!
I've looked into that before, there indeed doesn't seem to be an FPGA version of it anywhere yet. I can imagine it would be a massive amount of work to make. Too bad it doesn't work out when using samples. The voice does indeed add a lot, but the game is fun regardless.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Is that chip used in anything else?