Intellivision Core (INTV)

KremlingKuthroat19

Re: Intellivision Core (INTV)

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Yeah, the Intellivision core is one of the cores I'm most excited for. With the Intellivision Amico coming out in April this year, it'd be amazing for this core to launch around the same time, but no pressure on getting it done early :)
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 am Yeah, the Intellivision core is one of the cores I'm most excited for. With the Intellivision Amico coming out in April this year, it'd be amazing for this core to launch around the same time, but no pressure on getting it done early :)
I never heard of that until your post. I just checked it out and it looks like the perfect blend of retro/classic and modern gaming. Very cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXVR5eV ... e=youtu.be
KremlingKuthroat19

thorr wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:32 am
KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 am Yeah, the Intellivision core is one of the cores I'm most excited for. With the Intellivision Amico coming out in April this year, it'd be amazing for this core to launch around the same time, but no pressure on getting it done early :)
I never heard of that until your post. I just checked it out and it looks like the perfect blend of retro/classic and modern gaming. Very cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXVR5eV ... e=youtu.be
Yeah man. It's mind boggling that Atari, Intellivision and KFC of all companies are releasing consoles this generation lmao even though I'm a millenial, it feels like the early 80s
kfreiberg

Unread post by kfreiberg »

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 pm Yeah man. It's mind boggling that Atari, Intellivision and KFC of all companies are releasing consoles this generation lmao even though I'm a millenial, it feels like the early 80s

You do realize that these "consoles" are not actually being released by the original companies/creators of Atari and Intellivision, correct? These are random people that bought up the rights to use the names to slap on mediocre hardware ideas to try to make a buck off of nostalgia.
KremlingKuthroat19

kfreiberg wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:23 pm
KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 pm Yeah man. It's mind boggling that Atari, Intellivision and KFC of all companies are releasing consoles this generation lmao even though I'm a millenial, it feels like the early 80s

You do realize that these "consoles" are not actually being released by the original companies/creators of Atari and Intellivision, correct? These are random people that bought up the rights to use the names to slap on mediocre hardware ideas to try to make a buck off of nostalgia.
Of course I know that. It doesn't make it any less novel. The Atari VCS is certainly a scummy console, but at least the Intellivision Amico has a lot of passion behind it. Tommy Tallarico is a huge fan of the original Intellivision. They have a vision, but the problem is that $249 price tag. Most people would rather buy a Switch for that price range. If they sold it at $100-150, then I could see it being successful.
kfreiberg

Unread post by kfreiberg »

To each their own. IMHO, I believe the Amico is just as slimy as the Atari VCS. Not as bad as the Coleco Chameleon, because I think both of these will actually come out with a product, but not a good product.
CafeClimber

Unread post by CafeClimber »

I'm fairly new to MiSTer and very pleased to find the Intv core! The Intellivision was my favorite console growing up. Very nice work!

Q: Is the latest core posted here? http://temlib.org/pub/mister/

It appears there have been updates since the January 1, 2020 core on that page. Would we need to somehow "compile" the source from GitHub to have the latest core version (https://github.com/Grabulosaure/Intv_MiSTer)? I expect I'm missing something.

Sorry for the newbie questions. Just excited to dig into this one and noticed some bugs in the Jan 2020 version (e.g., Auto Racing and AD&D lock up).

Thanks!
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

Oh nice to see some updates on this beloved core. Hope that @Grabulosaure will publish soon a compiled version. The 1st game that I owned and played a lot back in the days was Space Armada, unfortunately it freezes after a minute or so on the Jan. core. So really looking forward for an update as well.

かすりん

tontonkaloun

Unread post by tontonkaloun »

CafeClimber wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:03 am I'm fairly new to MiSTer and very pleased to find the Intv core! The Intellivision was my favorite console growing up. Very nice work!

Q: Is the latest core posted here? http://temlib.org/pub/mister/

It appears there have been updates since the January 1, 2020 core on that page. Would we need to somehow "compile" the source from GitHub to have the latest core version (https://github.com/Grabulosaure/Intv_MiSTer)? I expect I'm missing something.

Sorry for the newbie questions. Just excited to dig into this one and noticed some bugs in the Jan 2020 version (e.g., Auto Racing and AD&D lock up).

Thanks!
Hello,

I have already tried, there are errors during compilation.
We will have to wait
Grabulosaure
Core Developer

Unread post by Grabulosaure »

kathleen wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:16 am Oh nice to see some updates on this beloved core. Hope that @Grabulosaure will publish soon a compiled version. The 1st game that I owned and played a lot back in the days was Space Armada, unfortunately it freezes after a minute or so on the Jan. core. So really looking forward for an update as well.
I've just fixed Space Armada and Auto Racing. Maybe others as well.

https://temlib.org/pub/mister/Intv.rbf
kathleen
Top Contributor

Oh this is a great news, thank you @Grabulosaure. Cannot wait to try.

かすりん

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Great to hear, well done!

I used to play Auto Racing with my friend who had an Intellivision. It is also featured on Knight Rider as a kind of radar system of KITT :D
kathleen
Top Contributor

Have tested yesterday Space Armada and yes, it works like a charm now, to my recollection, Soccer was not working with the previous core, now it works as well. Thanks again for your great work Grabulosaure.

かすりん

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

That's fantastic news! I have got very fond memories about this lovely Console. I will test the new release tonigt! Just can'wait!!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Guys, I have just realised that I would need the .rbf.

Can someone please be so kind as to share it with me? That would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
RascalUK

Unread post by RascalUK »

Just head to the MiSTer section in Grabulosaure's signature a couple of posts above. :) It's INTV.rbf
mapf

Unread post by mapf »

You can find it in the first link in the signature from Grabulosaure. I think it is http://temlib.org/pub/mister/Intv.rbf
Alkadian
Top Contributor

@RascalUK, @mapf

Thanks guys. That's me bad. I can't believe it I have just missed it!!

Well, I guess I need a new pair of glasses :lol:

Thanks again!
RascalUK

Enjoy :-)
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

Can anyone suggest a good controller setup for this core if we don't have an original Intellivision controller?

I was thinking about using a regular joystick or gamepad, along with an Atari 2600 touchpad via USB adapter (since it has the same layout and number of buttons as the Intellivision controller). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to combine 2 controllers together via joystick mapping in MiSTer.

(Of course it's possible to custom map a gamepad for only the buttons used in a specific game, but since we can't save per-game joystick configurations that would require re-mapping every time a different game was started)
RascalUK

I'm lucky enough to have bought a USB converter for an orig controller years ago which works perfectly on the core. Then picked up a spare controller on eBay. I remember emulating Intellivision on my PC previously. It's tough to get a decent solution :(

https://www.raphnet.net/electronique/in ... dex_en.php
Lightwave

Yeah, I have the 2600dapter D9 which supports the original Intellivision controllers no problem, but loose controllers seem to be scarce on ebay etc., and I don't fancy paying for a whole system when I just need a controller...
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

You guys should pop on over to here, when you get some time.

http://intellivisionrevolution.com/entr ... brew-games

Some truly talented people out there doing some dark magic with the trusty old Inty.
CafeClimber

Grabulosaure wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:26 am I've just fixed Space Armada and Auto Racing. Maybe others as well.

https://temlib.org/pub/mister/Intv.rbf
Great! I was so happy to see this update for my favorite console. Auto Racing or Space Armada seem to be working fine now. I had experienced hangs/crashes with the previous core version. And no more issues with my favorite Intelliivision game Advance Dungeons & Dragons (a.k.a. 'AD&D Cloudy Mountain' or 'Crown of Kings')! Yay!!

Love this update. Great work, Grabulosaure!
CafeClimber

Lightwave wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:36 pm Can anyone suggest a good controller setup for this core if we don't have an original Intellivision controller?
I'm pretty happy with my Intellivision controller setup for MiSTer. I'm using Intellvision Flashback controllers plugged in through an Ultimate PC Interface. It works well with MiSTer and I'm able to map two controllers for players 1 & 2. This interface plugs into the MiSTer through USB and connects to a variety of DB9 connector controllers, such as Flashback, INTV2, Atari 2600 and Colecovision controllers.

Even though AtGames has a mixed track record, these Intellvision Flashback controllers are very faithful to the original INTV Model 1 controllers. They're much better IMO than INTV2 controllers. The late Keith Robinson, original Blue Sky Rangers and President of Intellvision Productions, worked closely with AtGames to ensure the Flashback was a great product.

I used a special version of this Ultimate PC Interface I ordered from Byte Knight on AtariAge. It was designed specifically to fit in an Intellvision Flashback case, so people could put it and a Raspberry Pi in the shell to make an "Ultimate Flashback." I put this in a shell (without the RPi) to use exclusively as a USB interface. I hung the USB cable through the original AV hole in the back of the case. I like the look.

I believe Byte Night still makes these boards if you have a spare INTV Flashback. You could use the shell to house the USB interface and you'll have great controllers for it. These Flashback systems tend to be expensive on Ebay, so I'd check your local thrift stores or Facebook Marketplace to find better deals. Many people got them as 2014 impulse Christmas gifts and barely played them, so they're ripe for re-homing.

From what I can tell, the one drawback is that this setup gives you 8 directions on the controller disc ("d pad"). The original INTV gave you 16 directions and therefore more precise movement. I haven't noticed this as too big a limitation but it's worth noting.

Finally, I played Astrosmash on an Intellvision Flashback with Keith Robinson back in 2015 at the SXSW tech conference. Very cool.
Lightwave

CafeClimber wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:52 pm
Lightwave wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:36 pm Can anyone suggest a good controller setup for this core if we don't have an original Intellivision controller?
Ultimate PC Interface
I'm set for the controller adapters, I have 2 D9 adapters made by the same person who makes the Ultimate PC Interface. The supported devices are almost identical between the 2 adapters, aside from the 2 Intellivision devices that require both joystick ports (the typing and musical keyboards).
CafeClimber wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:52 pm Intellivision Flashback
Yes, this was the conclusion I came to as well, but as you mentioned they are going for quite inflated prices on ebay right now. So I'll just have to keep an eye out I guess.

Anyway, thanks for confirming this setup works well.
teller

Unread post by teller »

I just tested the lastest Intv.rbf from 2021-04-05. Is it possible that it has more bugs than the last one posted before? The sound of the voice sounds distorted and chopped off.
Grabulosaure
Core Developer

Unread post by Grabulosaure »

teller wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:24 pm I just tested the lastest Intv.rbf from 2021-04-05. Is it possible that it has more bugs than the last one posted before? The sound of the voice sounds distorted and chopped off.
That's strange, I didn't change anything to sound.

But sound have always been wrong somewhere. Voice is distorted/choppy.
teller

Unread post by teller »

But I'm sure that wasn't before. I tested an older version and it's also distorted and choppy. Must be because of a massive MiSTer update that the sound got distorted. This also happened with the VIDEOPAC core, which was recently updated. The voice there is distorted too.
Lightwave

Not sure if you are referring to Intellivoice specifically, but there are definitely sound issues in general with this core that have always been there (Astrosmash is a good example where this is immediately obvious).

Otherwise, the core is spot on as far as I can tell.