Intellivision Core (INTV)

Ashfall

Re: Intellivision Core (INTV)

Unread post by Ashfall »

This core is working really well, your hard work is greatly appreciated.

Would it be possible to add the option "Pause when OSD is open:" (choose on or off) like in the NES core?

My use case is as follows:
I'm using a 2600-daptor d9 to connect a Flashback controller. It works really well like this, but the only way I could figure out how to map something to the Menu button was using the key combination 1+9. It works great to get in and out of the menu with this controller. 1+9 pauses the game on the original console, but now it will no longer pause the game, it just opens the OSD. If you could add that option, 1+9 could open the OSD and simultaneously pause the game.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Has anyone installed the new core? I did and games no longer launch. It just sits at a blank screen.

EDIT: For anyone coming from the old core please note that the new one requires a boot.rom file in the Intellivision folder. Currently update_all doesn't yet support getting this file for you.
Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

What folder does it go in? The Intellivision games folder?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Swainy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:52 pm What folder does it go in? The Intellivision games folder?
As a general rule:
Start the core.
Bring up the OSD.
On the left side, in the vertical white band you will know the name to use.

One exception that I know of: Minimig uses the Amiga folder.
Silverbot

Unread post by Silverbot »

Sorry, I’m new to this, where do I find the boot.rom file? Thanks 😀
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Swainy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:52 pm What folder does it go in? The Intellivision games folder?
Yes
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Intv_MiSTer
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Silverbot wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:01 pm Sorry, I’m new to this, where do I find the boot.rom file? Thanks 😀
Read the Readme in the Wiki, it tells you how to build it. You are on your own to find the different parts.
johhenrik

Unread post by johhenrik »

Silverbot wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:01 pm Sorry, I’m new to this, where do I find the boot.rom file? Thanks 😀
Give it a couple of days and update_all.sh will have added this for you, I am sure.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

One thing update_all can't amend, is the fact that these cores need peculiar controllers to be enjoyed as they should.

Here's a gift for you, before the 'bios_getter' script ups to the job ;)
No_name.7z
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Silverbot

Unread post by Silverbot »

Awesome, thanks for your help 😀
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Silverbot wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:53 pm Awesome, thanks for your help 😀
I'd dump the whole Intellivision library/folder in here, but I'm afraid the police would go retroactively after me :mrgreen:
CafeClimber

Unread post by CafeClimber »

CartoonDonkey wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:24 am This core would be perfect with 16 directions for the real Intellivsion controllers. (Another Ultimate PC interface user here, with reproduction Intellivision flashback controllers.) - It's crucial in some games to be able to move diagonally and shoot diagonally as well. Is any further work being done on this core?
Yes, I would definitely love to see 16 directions supported. I'm also using the Ultimate PC interface w/ Flashback controllers. That would help a number of games. I expect this could be done in the INTV core controller setup.
CafeClimber

Unread post by CafeClimber »

Just catching up on the latest updates to this core. Thanks for all the great work, Grabulosaure!
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

CafeClimber wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:53 am Just catching up on the latest updates to this core. Thanks for all the great work, Grabulosaure!
seconded :)
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
johhenrik

Unread post by johhenrik »

update_all.sh is now updated to fix the bios for the new core.
caffeinekid

Unread post by caffeinekid »

How do I set all the number controls etc to work, while still being able to use my joypad? Can I set numbers on keyboard and rest of controls on pad? I'm sure I've seen this before but my memory is not what it once was. Thank you.
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

CafeClimber wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:51 am
CartoonDonkey wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:24 am This core would be perfect with 16 directions for the real Intellivsion controllers. (Another Ultimate PC interface user here, with reproduction Intellivision flashback controllers.) - It's crucial in some games to be able to move diagonally and shoot diagonally as well. Is any further work being done on this core?
Yes, I would definitely love to see 16 directions supported. I'm also using the Ultimate PC interface w/ Flashback controllers. That would help a number of games. I expect this could be done in the INTV core controller setup.
Same here, I'm using original Intellivision controllers via the 2600daptor D9, and it would be great if 16 direction control was supported.
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

Lightwave wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:07 pm
CafeClimber wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:51 am
Same here, I'm using original Intellivision controllers via the 2600daptor D9, and it would be great if 16 direction control was supported.
16 directions seems to work for me. When I run handdemo2.itv it registers 16 directions. It is a bit sloppy though, could it be interpolating the extra 8 directions?
Lightwave

Ashfall wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:36 pm
16 directions seems to work for me. When I run handdemo2.itv it registers 16 directions. It is a bit sloppy though, could it be interpolating the extra 8 directions?
Oh, that would be great if true!

I’m using a version of the core from before it was merged into main, and it appeared to be only using 8 directions in-game.

I haven’t tried with that test rom though, so I’ll have to update to latest and see how it works
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

Lightwave wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:00 pm
Ashfall wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:36 pm
Oh, that would be great if true!

I’m using a version of the core from before it was merged into main, and it appeared to be only using 8 directions in-game.

I haven’t tried with that test rom though, so I’ll have to update to latest and see how it works
That would be great if you could try it when you have time. I'm new to MiSTer so am not sure if I'm interpreting some things right. :)
Either handdemo1 or handdemo2 would work. It's part of the JzINtv install, in the examples folder. The only place I found handdemo2 though was in the jzinstall.exe found on the Ultimate PC Interface page.
CartoonDonkey

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

Handdemo2 only registering 8 directions here. @ashfall what do you have as far as controller / interface to the Mister?

Using the ultimate pc interface and an intellivision flashback controller I'm only seeing eight directions register: Going slowly around the disc with handdemo2 running, starting at the top, you should see the number 4 (N), continue clockwise pressing the outer edge of the disc ..you will then see a 2 (NE) then a 0 (E), then a Uppercase E (SE), Uppercase C (S), Uppercase A (SW), 8 (W), 6 (NW) - so only 8 directions, not 16.

Maybe this needs to be checked against an actual Intellivision. I could have sworn more positions than that register.
Hrm... more info on this here: Possibly depends on the game?
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/169987-16-directions/
Lightwave

Maybe it would be useful to post the handdemo & handdemo2 ROMs here for everyone to test out their controllers?

(Not sure many people will download and install an emulator and then compile the assembly source examples just for this)
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

CartoonDonkey wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:02 pm Handdemo2 only registering 8 directions here. @ashfall what do you have as far as controller / interface to the Mister?

Using the ultimate pc interface and an intellivision flashback controller I'm only seeing eight directions register: Going slowly around the disc with handdemo2 running, starting at the top, you should see the number 4 (N), continue clockwise pressing the outer edge of the disc ..you will then see a 2 (NE) then a 0 (E), then a Uppercase E (SE), Uppercase C (S), Uppercase A (SW), 8 (W), 6 (NW) - so only 8 directions, not 16.

Maybe this needs to be checked against an actual Intellivision. I could have sworn more positions than that register.
Hrm... more info on this here: Possibly depends on the game?
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/169987-16-directions/
Here, I videoed it:
https://youtu.be/y9_YAaAX2fE

Shown in the video are the Retronic Design adapter and the 2600-daptor D9. Not shown is the Ultimate PC Interface which works exactly like the D9, with all 16 directions.

Maybe you should update the adapter's firmware?
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

Lightwave wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:13 pm Maybe it would be useful to post the handdemo & handdemo2 ROMs here for everyone to test out their controllers?

(Not sure many people will download and install an emulator and then compile the assembly source examples just for this)
Handdemo1 and handdemo2 are attached. I had to change the extension of handdemo2 to .int for MiSTer to see it.
Attachments
handdemo.zip
(2.86 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Lightwave

Ok, I had this working properly with 16 directions while testing in handdemo2.

Then somehow after doing a few other things, it has reverted to 8 directions and I cannot find a way to enable 16 directions again.

I've deleted all mapping configs for the controller and tried remapping from scratch, tried powering on MiSTer with and without controller plugged in, but no luck. It's quite maddening!

Again, this is with a 2600daptor D9 and original Intellivision controller (I've made sure to press 0 at power on to enable Intellivision controller mode on the D9).
jordi

Unread post by jordi »

nice it got into official repo!!

looks like the IntelliVision has lot of homebrew:
http://www.indieretronews.com/search/la ... ELLIVISION
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

Lightwave wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:08 am Ok, I had this working properly with 16 directions while testing in handdemo2.

Then somehow after doing a few other things, it has reverted to 8 directions and I cannot find a way to enable 16 directions again.

I've deleted all mapping configs for the controller and tried remapping from scratch, tried powering on MiSTer with and without controller plugged in, but no luck. It's quite maddening!

Again, this is with a 2600daptor D9 and original Intellivision controller (I've made sure to press 0 at power on to enable Intellivision controller mode on the D9).
My 2600daptor is flakey. Periodically keys 4,5,6 and the right half of the disc will all stop working. No amount of reboots/reconnects helps. Even moving it to a Windows PC the problem is there. After a while it starts working again, until it flakes out again. I have two of them, they both do the same thing. I just got a Retronic Design adapter, and it works fine. Will see if it's stable.
Lightwave

Ashfall wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:32 pm
Lightwave wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:08 am Ok, I had this working properly with 16 directions while testing in handdemo2.

My 2600daptor is flakey. Periodically keys 4,5,6 and the right half of the disc will all stop working. No amount of reboots/reconnects helps. Even moving it to a Windows PC the problem is there. After a while it starts working again, until it flakes out again. I have two of them, they both do the same thing. I just got a Retronic Design adapter, and it works fine. Will see if it's stable.
Hmmm, very weird. I can't say I've had that issue (or any other problems) with the D9, it seems to work consistently for me with 2600 and Mega Drive controllers at least.

I should try my other adaptor now that you mentioned it and see if it behaves the same. And maybe updating the firmware as well, not sure if I'm on the latest.
retroactive

Unread post by retroactive »

This core is awesome, I'm really enjoying it.

I didn't know if anyone else noticed that in Dreadnaught Factor that the explosion effect when you destroy a ship doesn't correctly display as it does on real hardware? I know this is a known issue in emulation, but assumed that FPGA would properly emulate this, but it has the same issue of just the border flashing whereas the whole screen flashes on real hardware. I remember from the interview with Tom Loughry on the Intellivisionaries podcast that he mentioned this issue with emulators. If this is an inappropriate place/question to ask here, let me know and I'll delete it, but I was just curious about this, or even wondering if anyone was aware.

Thanks.
Sarge

Unread post by Sarge »

Might want to bring it up as an issue in the repository.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Intv_MiSTer/issues

I'm going to take a look at this core for sure. It's the one system that I haven't reobtained from my childhood yet, and I probably should.