Xbytez
Site Admin

Re: PlayStation

Unread post by Xbytez »

For those following development a few new updates:

Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Based on the progress of the team, I think I'm not taking any risk saying we'll get a fully fonctional core by the end of the year. Unbelievable.
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

WOW!!
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

this together with the Saturn, would make the system practically complete i'd say
H6rdc0re

Unread post by H6rdc0re »

Perhaps once there will be a Playstation core on the Mister. Something like PXGP support could be implemented for perspective correct texturing. That would be awesome and maybe even a turbo mode for locked and stable framerates. Can’t wait to see what you guys will bring.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

MostroW wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:49 pm this together with the Saturn, would make the system practically complete i'd say
I'll say that when I see a DC and a 3DO core as well :P

But yeah, a PSX core would really make my year.
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

pgimeno wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:47 pm
MostroW wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:49 pm this together with the Saturn, would make the system practically complete i'd say

I guess 128 bit systems will be only on Cyclone 10

really expensive right now

I am happy closing the 32 bit gen with n64 core next
Neocaron

pbsk8 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:53 pm

I guess 128 bit systems will be only on Cyclone 10

really expensive right now

I am happy closing the 32 bit gen with n64 core next
Same here, 64 would be a stretch but it would still be a fitting end for the Mister (as a power ceiling), that and maybe a Pentium core with a 16/32mb graphics card. :mrgreen:
Dreamcast however is 100% impossible because the Mister just doesn't have what it takes in hardware to do it and nothing can change that. Not to mention that creating a DC in FPGA will take probably years as the chips in these consoles got more and more intricated as time went by.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

i'm not expecting dreamcast to happen on this MiSTer, maybe if and when there will be bigger fpga's available in the future? (for a reasonable price)

everything after the Playstation and Saturn used pretty complex cpu's and video chips i think?

If there'd ever be a MiSTer where DreamCast, PS2 and the first XBOX would be emulated, i personally think there would be nothing left for me anymore that i'd like?
The newer systems have most games available on PC as well, or the hardware itself is still pretty cheap to obtain.
Neocaron

New update on their Patreon. Very technical, but interesting nonetheless.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/update-38-for-50716376

The way they are handling the cache is pretty interesting. :mrgreen:
I knew latency with the DDR modules would be a b**** But with the workaround they are using, it's getting pretty close. Could the "pre cache" fonction be used on other cores to bypass the need for the 128mb addon?
scanline_samurai

Unread post by scanline_samurai »

What's the likelihood that something like PGXP could be developed for the PSX core? I would welcome a way to eliminate vertex wiggle and UV wobble.
vgesoterica

Unread post by vgesoterica »

Getting PS1 and maybe Saturn would take an already amazing project (MiSTer) and just make it that much more incredible
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

scanline_samurai wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:01 pm What's the likelihood that something like PGXP could be developed for the PSX core? I would welcome a way to eliminate vertex wiggle and UV wobble.
PGXP uses openGL which requires a GPU. The MiSTer doesn't have a GPU. This would be a serious undertaking. A GPU in a recent research paper has been designed using thousands of logic elements in the Cyclone V that is on the DE10-Nano which are highly parallelized, which ostensibly has enough performance to do something like this, but how would this affect timing? Will there be enough space? How difficult will it be to achieve? etc... It's unlikely this will be done very easily if at all. It would be awesome if someone figured it out though!
birdybro~
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

That funky integer math has to be one of the things that makes this project more doable. At least I'm assuming that means simpler chips are being used, which means there's better odds they can be replicated and fit onto the de-10.
scanline_samurai

Unread post by scanline_samurai »

aberu wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:40 pm A GPU in a recent research paper has been designed using thousands of logic elements in the Cyclone V that is on the DE10-Nano which are highly parallelized, which ostensibly has enough performance to do something like this, but how would this affect timing? Will there be enough space? How difficult will it be to achieve? etc... It's unlikely this will be done very easily if at all. It would be awesome if someone figured it out though!
Could you do something crazy and hook up a second DE-10 nano? One running the PSX core and another running a GPU core?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

scanline_samurai wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:56 am Could you do something crazy and hook up a second DE-10 nano? One running the PSX core and another running a GPU core?
There are not too many GPIO pins free to do that.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

https://www.patreon.com/laxer3a

FWRnIsJ.png
FWRnIsJ.png (76.16 KiB) Viewed 10739 times

well, that sucks :(
im guessing someone will jump in and help with this project at some point, but id imagine this core development may be put a (long) hiatus
Blitzwing

Unread post by Blitzwing »

PikWik wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 pm https://www.patreon.com/laxer3a

well, that sucks :(
im guessing someone will jump in and help with this project at some point, but id imagine this core development may be put a (long) hiatus
Yea saw it on the Patreon, these things happen.

All the best to laxer though, great work by everybody involved to get it as far as it is right now. Physical and mental well-being are definitely more important than games.
Neocaron

:o Well that sucks... I hope it's nothing too serious on a personal level.
However he never made the code available on github though right? I hope he does, so other devs can take a crack at it without restarting from scratch.
This is pretty sad seriously. He could have made the message available for everyone to see. Ultra embedded didn't put anything up on Twitter, so this is kind of a blurry mess right now. Anyone got the chance to read the full post?
Blitzwing

Unread post by Blitzwing »

Neocaron wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:45 pm :o Well that sucks... I hope it's nothing too serious on a personal level.
However he never made the code available on github though right? I hope he does, so other devs can take a crack at it without restarting from scratch.
This is pretty sad seriously. He could have made the message available for everyone to see. Ultra embedded didn't put anything up on Twitter, so this is kind of a blurry mess right now. Anyone got the chance to read the full post?
Nope it is up on GitHub, right now it is the parts laxer has done but I believe ultra will open source his designs too. Looking in from the outside it really was quite sudden.

https://github.com/Laxer3a/PS-GTE
https://github.com/Laxer3a/PS-GPU
https://github.com/Laxer3a/psdebugtool
https://github.com/Laxer3a/MDEC

Edited. Just in case people don't search etc. Ultra has also released his designs on GitHub.
Neocaron

I just checked Github and I was about to change my comment, but yeah you're right.
Hopefully it doesn't end there.
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

Well console wise we are still missing Jaguar, 3DO, 32X and CDI

N64 won't fit and the DS won't either and Dreamcast won't as well.

What I would want is all the Playstation based arcade titles ported like Tekken 1- Tag Tournament, DDR, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter EX, and more These are the boards for reference

http://www.system16.com/base.php#1
Fear is the mind killer!
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

im a little skeptical a PSX, or a saturn core, will happen at this point.
considering the library of the playstation, and im sure a never ending list of bug fixes,
this is without a doubt the biggest core to develop for the MiSTer.

with ~4,000 games on the playstation 1 library, it would be a full-time job for countless people to get a polished 100% compatibility core developed.
(i will happily/gladly be proven wrong, but these gaming systems were made by an entire team of smart people, not just 2 or 3 people)

but yes, i do hope laxer is doing well, and they consider revisiting their work and get it to a point where they could hand it off to someone else
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

PS1 will happen at some point. Kitrinx said it's inevitable due to the interest in the system and the fact that it can fit on the De-10, and she's a dev so I trust her opinion more than the average person. It all depends on how talented the devs of the core are though.
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

That's really unfortunate considering the status already reached.
I hope Laxer comes back to this project.

If not, I might start with PSX after wonderswan.
PSX cannot be left undone.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

redsteakraw wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:07 am

Well console wise we are still missing Jaguar, 3DO, 32X and CDI
As well as CD-32, hopefully that wouldn't be too much work to create, as it is so close to an Amiga 1200.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Can't mention Amiga CD-32 without Commodore CD, which is presumably easier as I don't think it has any special chips, while CD-32 has one that would have to be done.
max1602

Unread post by max1602 »

Xbytez wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:15 pm For those following development a few new updates:

STOKED
can't say more. LOVE for PSX man. :)
MY childhood system.
Less is not always more.
Neocaron

After finally reading the patreon post, it feels like it's a drama between Laxer and Ultra which put the project to a halt...
It's really annoying when people can't keep it together. You understand why so many devs decide to work by themselves and are always unease to bring people in. You never know how people are gonna behave. We clearly don't know much, but it's just f ing sad.

E0-gdDfWYAAEJLU.jpg
E0-gdDfWYAAEJLU.jpg (361.1 KiB) Viewed 12687 times
chanunnaki

Unread post by chanunnaki »

Sad to see it go this way. Would appear from the outside to be an issue about % ownership of the project/proceeds which might explain the "friction".

Disappointed about the news, but Laxer has been very open and forthcoming with all information up to this point and at least all the work Patreons have supported has been put up on GitHub. I hope the community gets the rest too from Ultra.

There are no guarantees with developments of cores and I think most people understand that going in. I wish Laxer the best for his contribution and hope that maybe somebody else will grab the torch.