CPS 1.5

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: CPS 1.5

Unread post by Chris23235 »

lamarax wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:14 pm There's already a new v3.0 board in production (a cooperation between Sorgelig and Ricardo), but frankly, I don't believe it's needed for the time being and with what we have.

Jotego should examine his proprietary SDRAM controller more closely, instead of issuing "tests" left and right.
There were always unexplainable issues with certain SDRAM modules in several cores (e.g. the bug in FF VI were the game glitched for some people). All solutions were try and error workarounds. Jotego was the first one to come up with findings that could be reproduced and an explanation for these findings and the best of all a possible solution.

So maybe you shouldn't tell him what to do and what not to do. If you are happy with your current SDRAM module this is fine, you are free to ignore Jotego's hard work on the issue. Just don't tell other people how they should do their work which they share with the community for free.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Like Chris said, maybe you should try design and test new types of memory modules yourself?
It looks like quite a tedious process not to mention time and costs that are involved with making things that get basically given away at little to no cost?
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:44 pm So maybe you shouldn't tell him what to do and what not to do. If you are happy with your current SDRAM module this is fine, you are free to ignore Jotego's hard work on the issue. Just don't tell other people how they should do their work which they share with the community for free.
I admire Jotego's work and I'm grateful for everything he's been achieving to our collective benefit and enjoyment. I'm also equally -if not more- grateful to Sorgelig for what he has established. My knowledge and skills are way inferior to Jotego's; maybe that's why I've become frustrated with this whole issue forcing him to retrogress. I'm as hyped for what he has in store for us next as anyone really.

I'm sorry that my post came off in such an obnoxious and abrasive tone^; it wasn't meant to.
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

Why move on to cps2 when Saturday Night Slam Masters illegal instruction error after the first boss fight is not fixed! ?
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Everything works for me now.
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

FatSlob71 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 am Why move on to cps2 when Saturday Night Slam Masters illegal instruction error after the first boss fight is not fixed! ?
Why not? Jotego is perfectly aware of that issue and he will fix it eventually. Just be patient.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

FatSlob71 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 am Why move on to cps2 when Saturday Night Slam Masters illegal instruction error after the first boss fight is not fixed! ?
Because the devs for the MiSTer FPGA cores don't work for you and aren't providing a consumer product. They are hobbyists. He wants to work on CPS2, and he will likely get back to SNSM later. He has an IRL job already, and a real life, like pretty much every single FPGA core dev in this space, so developing these cores and sharing them with us is kind of a favor.

Don't get upset or entitled please. It harms the community and increases the chances of burning out all the devs that work hard on these cores.
birdybro~
FatSlob71

Dismal that it is not fixed! That is the only one that produces any error all other CPS Range Releases WORK!!!
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

It's said to be a copy protection, and it has been placed on the lower priority queue.
If you want it fixed, i'd suggest diving into some reading material and help these devs by offloading these things from them as the way you're talking about it make it seem trivial to fix at best?
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

For those who want specific fixes, features or new cores there are two 'Director' subscriptions available at Jotego's patreon.
FatSlob71

Some users are reporting that this issue has been fixed though so there is confusion regarding this issue just look on Jotego's Twitter!!
Stated that he slipped in a Fix ?
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

Wish a fix was resolved for streetfighter hasn’t worked since last few weeks . Apparently due to dodgy 32 mb ram but then had no problems with anything else ?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Shuffle7 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:28 pm Wish a fix was resolved for streetfighter hasn’t worked since last few weeks . Apparently due to dodgy 32 mb ram but then had no problems with anything else ?
The claims about the SDRAM being dodgy are, as of yet, unsubstantiated. His own poll on Patreon demonstrated this to be true as less than 3% of people who took the poll had any issue, and all except 1 (last I checked) had 128MB SDRAM modules. Additionally, there's going to be sampling bias in those results. And finally, his project is not integrated officially into the MiSTer project so he could be exceeding the intended capabilities of the SDRAM module designs, which could cause these problems. It's important to not make strong statements without proof.
birdybro~
MadDog

Unread post by MadDog »

Is it possible to have a 'save' feature on this core (and future CPS2) to save the Service/Test mode settings? Not that it's overly important, but I like to have Free Play enabled on my arcade cores, if I can help it. Since CPS1.5 (nor does CPS2, to my knowledge) doesn't use DIP switches for these settings, it'd be nice to have a save for the service mode settings.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

"nvram" save support was added to mister main recently, so it's just a matter of it being implemented in the core+mra. I'm sure it'll happen eventually
jimmystones
Core Developer

Unread post by jimmystones »

I've been working with alanswx to get save support into various arcade cores and if I can do it it'll be a very easy job for a developer of Jotego's calibre! He appears to be a busy man working on CPS2 though right now :)
bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

kfreiberg wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:51 pm Hi All,

Anyone having issues getting 3 player's simultaneous working with Cadillacs and Dinosaurs? I could get 2 players to work, but not three. All 3 controllers were working fine on the MiSTer and worked perfectly on another arcade core. I was able to set the control scheme through the OSD in C&D with all three controllers, but then the 3rd controller would not allow coins to be entered to start the 3rd player.
I can't get third player to work on C&D either. Did you happen to solve this issue somehow?

Edit: just noticed there's an open issue here: https://github.com/jotego/jtbin/issues/148