Namco ND-1

Kannibal

Namco ND-1

Unread post by Kannibal »

I don't know how many people are aware of the arrangement versions of the classic Namco games we have cores for already, but they were developed on the Namco ND-1 board. They have only been seen on one console compilation known as Namco Museum for PS2, GameCube and Xbox. I have not gotten rid of my PS2 copy mainly because I have never come across an arcade cabinet of any of the Namco Classic Collections. These would be a cool pair of compilations to have available on the MiSTer but I understand their appeal may be low and on top of that getting a board will be difficult.
Gyruss

Re: Namco ND-1

Unread post by Gyruss »

I`ve got both Namco Classic collections 1 and 2 in my private collection, I did sent Jotego some great pcb`s in Spain like R-Type, Pacmania, Demons World, Hyper Olympics, Raiden 2 etc. but to sent these would be to much for me since these are very rare and also expensive.. but maybe someone else from this community is so kind to donate these...
lamarax

Unread post by lamarax »

Gyruss wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:51 pm I`ve got both Namco Classic collections 1 and 2 in my private collection, I did sent Jotego some great pcb`s in Spain like R-Type, Pacmania, Demons World, Hyper Olympics, Raiden 2 etc. but to sent these would be to much for me since these are very rare and also expensive.. but maybe someone else from this community is so kind to donate these...
Gyruss you're a treasure. I bet many in the community haven't yet realized the importance of your contribution.

That said, I don't think physical boards are required to be at hand in each case, unless some of their chips need to be decapped. Jotego doesn't do that, he wants schematics.

So please keep your most precious boards; their sacrifice would be unavailing.
Gyruss

Unread post by Gyruss »

lamarax wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:13 pm
Gyruss wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:51 pm I`ve got both Namco Classic collections 1 and 2 in my private collection, I did sent Jotego some great pcb`s in Spain like R-Type, Pacmania, Demons World, Hyper Olympics, Raiden 2 etc. but to sent these would be to much for me since these are very rare and also expensive.. but maybe someone else from this community is so kind to donate these...
Gyruss you're a treasure. I bet many in the community haven't yet realized the importance of your contribution.

That said, I don't think physical boards are required to be at hand in each case, unless some of their chips need to be decapped. Jotego doesn't do that, he wants schematics.

So please keep your most precious boards; their sacrifice would be unavailing.

I did not knew this! so in other words there is not always hardware needed from a original the PCB`s I did sent to him? he did not told me that.. :shock:
Minpin

Unread post by Minpin »

@lamarax clearly you don't know what you are talking about.
jotego

Unread post by jotego »

Schematics are rarely available. I collect all I can find on the internet as PDF files. I also buy the ones I find on eBay. But, they are still uncommon. For most arcade games, if you want the schematics, you have to create them yourself using the actual PCB. You can see the schematics I made for Exed Exes from the PCB here. So PCBs are necessary for most games.

For games for which there are schematics available, PCBs are still needed to verify them. It happens quite often that the schematics do not match the final PCB version. I have seen wrong connections in the schematics of 1942, MX5000 and Konami's Kicker; to name a few.

Then, most original PCBs contain custom chips for which original schematics may not even provide pin names. So these chips are big black boxes. Having the PCB sometimes is enough to find out what they do in a faithful way. A successful story about this is the CPS-A chip in CPS hardware. I was able to correctly implement the complex DMA feature of this chip by taking direct measurements without decapping the chip.

Sometimes, we need to crack open a chip to extract its information by taking die shots. This means breaking the chip and potentially breaking the PCB. This is one of the reasons why I want PCB donations, not loans: because a loan limits how far we can go with it.

Gyrrus sent me a few expensive boards to work on. I am extracting schematics from them and we will see the first core based on Gyrrus' boards in a few months. Thanks, Gyrrus!
Open IP for many chips in my github account
RBF files for my MiSTer cores in jtbin
Support new IP and core development here
lamarax

Unread post by lamarax »

I'm glad to stand corrected in my assumptions! I was just sad, because clearly Gyruss doesn't want to part with his most precious boards, and I feel for him.

He wholeheartedly wants to share his belongings, and I frankly believe he has already gone above and beyond :/