Working Ram for CPS2 core?

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Working Ram for CPS2 core?

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Currently I have a XXSV 128 MB Ram module in my MiSTer and it fails with the CPS2 core. Can anyone with a module that works can recommend me one? I am currently looking at the module from ManuferHi but I don't want to spend money on it just to find out that it also has problems with the core.
Malloc

Re: Working Ram for CPS2 core?

Unread post by Malloc »

I got a new 128GB ram module as my original one (which came with the mister as a bundle) wouldn't work on the newer cps cores, I figured the module it came bundled with must have been some cheapo variant so got my new one from misterfpga.co.uk to make sure it was a "good" one.

On the plus side the new one works, but weirdly enough my old one is identical - exact same memory chips on it (alliance?), so it honestly seems like pot-luck, thankfully the new tests they've made should prevent any bad batches being sold but there is no surefire way of knowing otherwise.
XtraSmiley

Unread post by XtraSmiley »

Chris23235 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:35 pm Currently I have a XXSV 128 MB Ram module in my MiSTer and it fails with the CPS2 core. Can anyone with a module that works can recommend me one? I am currently looking at the module from ManuferHi but I don't want to spend money on it just to find out that it also has problems with the core.
Have you tried running the advanced memory tests to see if they pass? It might be that the core still has issues. Run the tests to help narrow down what's wrong.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/45967856
Chris23235
Top Contributor

It is for sure the Ram, every single game crashes with a detailed error log on the screen after a few seconds. I just ordered the Ram from Manuferhi will keep you posted if this works.
ahoihoi

Unread post by ahoihoi »

I have a complete Mister from Manuferhi. CPS1.5 games work flawlessly and I ran both advanced memory tests for 5 minutes without problems. Can't test CPS2 since I'm not a patreon.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Just to update this thread, I tried the new Ram and it works flawless. The XXSV module I used prior worked with other picky cores like NeoGeo but the CPS2 core seems to be more demanding.
caad

Unread post by caad »

Does that module say which revision of the board it is?