How accurate are spinner controls in Arkanoid/Pong, etc? (ie. sensitivity, velocity, speed, etc)

sofakng

How accurate are spinner controls in Arkanoid/Pong, etc? (ie. sensitivity, velocity, speed, etc)

Unread post by sofakng »

I have a custom arcade cabinet that uses both a spinner and trackball with MAME (and an Ultimarc "Opti-PAC" to connect it to the PC). However, MAME has lots of different settings to control the spinner so there is really no idea how accurate your settings are compared to the real arcade.

How do spinners work with MiSTer in Arkanoid, Pong, etc?

I don't know much about rotary encoders but aside from resolution (300 - 600 PR, etc?) that makes movement smoother, are there any other differences?

Would a 600PR spinner move at the same speed/velocity in Arkanoid as the real arcade machine? Would it have the same sensitivity?
OriginalXOR

Re: How accurate are spinner controls in Arkanoid/Pong, etc? (ie. sensitivity, velocity, speed, etc)

Unread post by OriginalXOR »

Admittedly I have not tried this as yet, but here is a youtube video of amoore2600 doing this.
https://youtu.be/AYzcv_SsluY

In the video he seems to be running things well, and has a diagram of the wire connections you need. (Also linked to said video)
- he runs the spinner via User Port [Serial I/O]

Hope this helps.
sofakng

Re: How accurate are spinner controls in Arkanoid/Pong, etc? (ie. sensitivity, velocity, speed, etc)

Unread post by sofakng »

Thanks! That's the video that got me interested in connecting the spinner.

There doesn't seem to be a lot (or any?) information that I can find on the Arkanoid core github page or anywhere else ... :(

I'm also aware of the mr.Spinner project by sorgelig. However, unless I'm mistaken it looks to be used for converting a spinner to a USB device (mouse?) and not using the user i/o for direct input.
rsn8887

Unread post by rsn8887 »

I use a Turbotwist 2 spinner with the Arkanoid core and it works and plays great. It is seen as a mouse.
djsquare

Unread post by djsquare »

Does anyone know if it's even possible to use usb spinners on the Pong arcade core? I have a USB spinner and it's basically a 2 button mouse with one axis. I can use the it perfectly on Arkanoid and the Atari 2600 core but it seems that Pong only uses analogue joysticks for its paddles.