Simpsons or X-Men Arcade cores whos Patreon should I back to develop these?

redsteakraw

Simpsons or X-Men Arcade cores whos Patreon should I back to develop these?

Unread post by redsteakraw »

Simpsons or X-Men Arcade cores who's patreon should I back to develop these? Is anyone working towards these iconic and beloved arcade titles and if so who should I and others support to help make this happen. Am I alone here for my love of these titles, that always seemed to attract me to them in any arcade I have been to?
Fear is the mind killer!
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Simpsons or X-Men Arcade cores whos Patreon should I back to develop these?

Unread post by Newsdee »

Don't think anybody is doing those at the moment. Just wait, it will happen sooner or later.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Furrtek has been working on schematics (correct term?) for various Konami (and related) chips. That is probably the closest until someone(s) start putting together actual cores.

My kids love Turtles beat 'em ups, and I would love to play the arcade versions.
kikaso

Unread post by kikaso »

Did I hear correctly that these boards are famous for having loads of custom chips?
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

kikaso wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm Did I hear correctly that these boards are famous for having loads of custom chips?
Seems that way. System 16 has a lot of info about Konami boards.
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

kikaso wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm Did I hear correctly that these boards are famous for having loads of custom chips?
My memory of this is fuzzy, but I recall that late '80s/early '90s Konami hardware is regarded as noteworthy because they had a library of custom chips that were very flexible and could be combined in various ways to suit the needs of different games. Wire two tilemap generator chips one way and they address a larger pattern ROM. Wire the exact same chips a different way, and they provide two tilemap layers with a smaller pattern ROM. And so on with sprite generators, priority encoders, palette chips, etc.. So any individual chip doesn't have terrible complexity, but you can't run many games until you have a large percentage of the chip library and a framework that allows combining them in arbitrary ways (HDL/FPGA being a perfect fit for the latter point).

The above description notably doesn't apply to the Bubble System/GX400/000529x chipset, which to the best of my knowledge is meant to operate as a set and was not used on many distinct boards.