Van-Van car

Lex

Van-Van car

Unread post by Lex »

Hello!

I setup my mister fpag very well and it works great. However I encountered a weird problem with the game Van-Van car. First of all I discovered that there is no rbf core for Van Van car in the arcade core folder but there is a mra file. I guess this is the case because the game is based on pacman hardware and it "uses" the pacman arcade core (not sure)

The game itself works fine but I discovered an issue - when you pickup a "bullet" and fire it agains the opponent cars it simply goes through and there is no damage to the cars. Other than that I can shoot at the balloons and they pop. Anyone discovered the same problem? I tried different romsets and mra files but the problem is still present. Can it be that the pacman arcade core is faulty at some point? But pacman works fine and I am also using the latest pacman arcade core (rbf)

regards,
macro
Core Developer

Re: Van-Van car

Unread post by macro »

Not near my MiSTer to be able to check, but according to mame there is an extra dip switch "Missile Effect" which states 0 = killer car destroyed, 1 = killer car not destroyed.

so if you add an extra dip it may sort out the problem, something like ...

<dip bits="28" name="Missile effect" ids="Off,On"/>

default should probably be changes as well

<switches default="FF,FF,F0,00">
Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee
Lex

Unread post by Lex »

Hello Macro!

I am not quite sure what you mean - where am I supposed to implement this extra dip switch? As I said I cannot find any van van car.rbf file in mister but a van van car.mra file. The game rom itself should be fine as it is working correctly in mame.

regards,
macro
Core Developer

Unread post by macro »

You need to change the MRA file for it, it runs on Pacman hardware so does not have it's own rbf file.
Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee
Lex

Unread post by Lex »

Thx Macro!

I added an extra dip in mra file and also put default to the values you said but still does not work. Perhaps there is an issue with the pacman rbf core. I am using the latest ones. The missile effect is shown an can be set to on but without effect

regards,
KnC

Unread post by KnC »

it did work here but changing the option did not work so took a look at mame and the dip is 27 not 28

try deleting the dip setting for van van car in the config dip folder on mister as just changing the default should have fixed it but with no option to change it

adding the <dip bits="28" name="Missile effect" ids="Off,On"/> from macro's post
but changing the dip to 27 instead will give you the option to change it too
Lex

Unread post by Lex »

Hi KnC!

Thx very much man! I got it working now

For all of you facing the same problem here is what I did

I implemented <dip bits="27" name="Missile effect" ids="Off,On"/> in the van van.mra file from Micro

and also changed original <switches default="FF,FF,F0,FD"> to <switches default="FF,FF,F0,00"> but

it works both ways.

In mister you set dip switches missile effect to NONE

regards,
Lex