Any plans for a Mr Do! core?

Tchucolate

Any plans for a Mr Do! core?

Unread post by Tchucolate »

Dr Do! is one of the early Arcades classics, though is sometimes over-looked for games that went on to have a larger lineage (Yes, Im looking at you Donkey Kong). Mr Do! is a deceptively simple game, taking ideas from Dig-Dig (tunnels with roaming monsters) and just making it work SOOOOO much better. It DID spawn a few more games, most notable of which is Mr Dos Castle (another stone cold classic), which again is SIMPLE in design and yet very complex, allowing for massive replay value.

Seriously, I go back to Donkey Kong now, and its OK, but Mr Do! (and Castle) is still as playable, varied and fun now as it was then.

Anyway, enough eulogising. Thing is, there is NO Mr Do! core, or Mr Do's Castle core. Does anyoneone know if a Core is in the works, or if the game actually ran on an existing system. I know the game was published in the USA by Universal, but it appears it was a TAITO title.

So, any hope here?
guddler

Re: Any plans for a Mr Do! core?

Unread post by guddler »

I believe it was the other way round. A Universal title licensed by Taito.

And let's not forget:
Mr Do's Wild Ride
Do! Run Run
Neo Mr Do

All superb games.
Tchucolate

Indeed

Mr Do!
mrdo.png
mrdo.png (14.36 KiB) Viewed 5696 times

Mr Do's Castle
mr-dos-castle-arcade-wide.png
mr-dos-castle-arcade-wide.png (38.06 KiB) Viewed 5696 times

Mr Do's Wild Ride
mr-dos-wild-ride-fa43b4ea-01bf-48bc-93f7-b1293804117-resize-750.jpeg
mr-dos-wild-ride-fa43b4ea-01bf-48bc-93f7-b1293804117-resize-750.jpeg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 5696 times
Minpin

Unread post by Minpin »

Mr Do! is also one of my favorite games. Hope someone can do this core.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

There's also a port of this game on the Neo Geo
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

There is a Japanese core - I tried to contact the author but I didn’t get a response. I have a mr do. I want the core anyway!
Tchucolate

MostroW wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:34 am There's also a port of this game on the Neo Geo
Good to know, I guess that would be pretty faithful to the original.

Still, Mr Do! and Mr Do's Castle certainly are important games in the early arcade canon. I'd love to see their arcade originals ported in a core, or, if they actually used shared hardware, get some .mra files put together.

I'd also support paying on a Patreon account to make it happen.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

The board uses a Z80a processor according to it's documentation, though it shouldn't be too hard for an experienced FPGA developer we will have to wait and see if someone will pick it up and work on it.
Sadly i am by far not experienced enough to handle this. :lol:
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Tchucolate wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:40 pm
MostroW wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:34 am There's also a port of this game on the Neo Geo
Good to know, I guess that would be pretty faithful to the original.

Still, Mr Do! and Mr Do's Castle certainly are important games in the early arcade canon. I'd love to see their arcade originals ported in a core, or, if they actually used shared hardware, get some .mra files put together.

I'd also support paying on a Patreon account to make it happen.
The NG version is hugely different - they tried to take advantage of the greater color palette and sound capability of the platform. It's nice, but the first time you see it, you're going to question whether it's even the same game. :)
Tchucolate

rhester72 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:49 pmThe NG version is hugely different - they tried to take advantage of the greater color palette and sound capability of the platform. It's nice, but the first time you see it, you're going to question whether it's even the same game. :)
Yeah... I consider PORTS to be a different game. Retro is kind of about experiencing things in as faithful a format as you can. So playing Mr Do! on the Neo Geo, Spectrum or C64 is NOT the same as playing the arcade machine. And this is the Arcade forum, so...

Obviously what I am asking for is NOT a single machine, but for two machines to be cored up, Mr Do! and Mr Do's Castle, and ideally, Mr Do's Widle Ride. Looking at these, I would imagine that at least Mr Do! and Castle/Wild Ride come from different generations of hardware. But I might be wrong. I have looked online, and so far, I cant see any information about the boards used for these machines.

I DO have the MAME cores for these. which I previously played on my Raspberry Pi setup.

Whats is odd, right now is that we DO have a core for Mr Do's Nightmare, which appears to be a home-brew mash up of what appears to be Mr Do's graphics. And yet, we do not have ANY of the official Mr Do games.
Tchucolate

BTW, just found this text, whilst reading up about Mr Do's Castle, give you an idea of how big a game it was back in the day

"In Japan, Game Machine listed Mr. Do's Castle on their October 1, 1983 issue as being the second most-successful new table arcade unit of the year."

So there you go, these games WERE hits in their time.
Tchucolate

Here is a pretty cool tour of a real Mr Do! refurbed arcade cabinet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLecePprh60

And here is the gameplay :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLecePprh60&t=466
Tchucolate

And this page seems to be a pretty decent source of information on the game, CPU, Sound Chips etc
http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_m ... search_id=
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »