Donkey Kong and diagonal controls

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Donkey Kong and diagonal controls

Unread post by Alkadian »

Hi guys,

I haven't played Donkey Kong for a while. But I am pretty sure that there was an option, under the core menu, called Diagonal which was sort of giving the ability to emulate a 4-way joystick by disabling the diagonal movements, or something like that. Do you know if it is still possible to enable this option?

Many thanks.
mhartman

Re: Donkey Kong and diagonal controls

Unread post by mhartman »

I don’t recall seeing the option in Mister. That being said, I have a hard time getting past the sound/music issues in the Mister version of DK.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Uhm, I am not experiencing any sound/music issues with this game.
lupin3rd

Unread post by lupin3rd »

Alkadian wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:09 pm Uhm, I am not experiencing any sound/music issues with this game.
Unfortunately, I agree with mhartman. Donkey Kong has 2 separate audio sections on the PCB. Analog and Digital. The analog sound just doesn't come through correctly. I'm not even sure if it can be fixed. I'm sure it's probably the equivalent of trying to 100% emulate a Commodore SID chip.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

lupin3rd wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:03 pm
Alkadian wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:09 pm Uhm, I am not experiencing any sound/music issues with this game.
Unfortunately, I agree with mhartman. Donkey Kong has 2 separate audio sections on the PCB. Analog and Digital. The analog sound just doesn't come through correctly. I'm not even sure if it can be fixed. I'm sure it's probably the equivalent of trying to 100% emulate a Commodore SID chip.
I see, I wasn't aware of it. I have learnt something new!
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

How accurate are the sound effects in MAME? Old versions of MAME (and MAME 2003) use samples to get around the analogue circuitry, but modern versions have some kind of simulation/emulation going on.
mhartman

jlancaster86 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:34 pm How accurate are the sound effects in MAME? Old versions of MAME (and MAME 2003) use samples to get around the analogue circuitry, but modern versions have some kind of simulation/emulation going on.
MAME is accurate. I’m not sure if embedded the samples or are generating them some other way. On Mister, the music/tune rhythms are off, which is strange.
hscorpio

Unread post by hscorpio »

I think you need the alternate RBF file that has this option
The one I have is called Donkey Kong_Enex_20191207.rbf but I can't seem to find any reference to it online.

In any event, here it is off my computer. I believe it should get you diagonal controls.
Donkey Kong_Enex_20191207.rar
rbf file
(807.55 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
(my understanding is this file is perfectly legitimate to share as it's not the actual game ROM. If it's not, I apologize in advance)
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

hscorpio wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:10 pm (my understanding is this file is perfectly legitimate to share as it's not the actual game ROM. If it's not, I apologize in advance)
You should be fine, sharing alternate RBF files are okay.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
mhartman

BTW, I think the issues mentioned above have been fixed at this point in time. Mister is actually a cool DK platform, especially for playing trainer and other hbmame versions.