CPS 1.5

silentheaven83

Re: CPS 1.5

Unread post by silentheaven83 »

We could ask if Nat changed something in assembling the boards through time if it does mean something. I don’t know if he’s here on the forum but it’s a very kind person.

I bought my board in September 2020, it’s a black board, v2.5, never had issues with other cores beside CPS1.5.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

My understanding is that Jotego plans to relax the timing in his code, and get this working on existing modules.
fernie417

Unread post by fernie417 »

For whatever it's worth; also having trouble with only Saturday Night Slam Masters and no other game, including the other CPS1.5 games and the Street Fighter Alpha QSound hack. When I try to load SNSM up it won't get past the legal text. I was able to get it running occasionally, but after a few minutes of the Attract Mode running it would glitch out and crash. I have a 128mb ram module I bought in July 2020 from MisterAddons, blue board, v2.5.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

I also had an "illegal instruction" thrown on me with Saturday Night Slam Masters after i won the first round and the game progressed to the intro of the second round.
Other games like Punisher i could play all way through, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs i got up to round 8 before i had to turn it off so i couldn't get to complete it, the whole run was smooth though.

I've assembled my own 128MB module with 2 AS4C32M16SB-6TIN memory chips on the board.
patamar4

Unread post by patamar4 »

Saturday Night Slam Masters is some problem with protection or something and has nothing to do with sdram and Jotego already know that problem and he will investigate soon, now case of any error during the game or in attract mode there yes is with sdram.

For those who are not having problem with 128mb sdram and can do the following test:

Load some game of cps1 and as soon as the first image appears load the cadillac and dinossaur and leave in attract mode until you reach the forest stage where the three descend from the car until they pass through a tree, see if they pass this part without giving error
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

Hopefully he can do something in code to mitigate the issue!
silentheaven83

Unread post by silentheaven83 »

patamar4 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:03 am Load some game of cps1 and as soon as the first image appears load the cadillac and dinossaur and leave in attract mode until you reach the forest stage where the three descend from the car until they pass through a tree, see if they pass this part without giving error
This is what I did:

1) Put the plug and turn on the MISTer
2) Arcade -> C&D (World) -> attract mode until the point you mentioned -> no issues
3) Fast Reboot (not the cold one) from the GUI
4) Arcade -> Alternatives -> SFZero CPS1.5 (the one that gave me problems) -> attract mode for 2 minutes -> no issues
5) Started the game with Ryu vs Birdie, Ryu vs Rose, Ryu vs Adon -> no issues
6) Fast Reboot -> C&D (World) again -> Attract mode for 10 minutes -> no issues
7) Fast Reboot -> SFZero CPS1.5 again -> Attract mode for like 2 minutes -> ADDRESS ERROR - ADDRESS: 00023B64

It's totally random, few days ago I could not start a single round of SFZero. I only think that it doesn't happen right after you boot the MISTer.

BTW it seems to run really hot (I got only an heatsink and no case right now), is this a hint that Jotego is "pushing the limits"?
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

like the majority of you,
i have been waiting for the CPS2 core and watching/refreshing jotego's twitter/patreon page everyday looking for progress :)

i am doubtful CPS2 will be released tomorrow (but a christmas miracle could always happen).
i would guess at this point, we will see CPS2 at the end of January-ish.

-------------------

i have been lucky and not run into any memory issues with my 128 module, and i have not had any address errors when i run CPS1.5 games.
i am using a v2.5 128 RAM module bought ~12 months ago from a seller on the atari forums.

i know @patamar4 has done the 10uf cap mod mentioned by jotego and would be interested if they can run the test suggested above, after the mister has been running for a couple hours.
the cap mod is very easy to do if you have a soldering iron and a spare 10uf cap laying around, so im glad it will not be too big of a deal for people that are getting the errors with their modules.

perhaps jotego can create a workaround in his programming for his CPS1.5 core and his CPS2 core,
but i would guess jotego doesn't want to remake his RAM controller and re-write a ton of code to facilitate for 128 RAM modules that are supposed to function how he was expecting. jotego has said he has ten different 128 modules that hes tested with his cores and 2 of them have voltage variance in their capacitance that is setting off the memory errors.

Tl5E6gJ.png
Tl5E6gJ.png (52.73 KiB) Viewed 9807 times

he has also shown that when he added a 10uf capacitor in parallel to another 10uf cap on a "faulty" 128 module, this corrected the voltage variance and he was no longer getting the errors from before the mod.

flQh0JH.jpg
flQh0JH.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 9807 times

v2.4/v2.5 cap layout
top row: 10uf, 0.1uf, 10uf, 0.1uf
bottom row: 10uf, 1uf, 1uf, 10uf, 10uf, 1uf, 1uf, 10uf

(please note the polarity of the 10uf cap you're using before soldering)
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

PikWik wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:58 pm perhaps jotego can create a workaround in his programming for his CPS1.5 core and his CPS2 core,
but i would guess jotego doesnt want to remake his RAM controller and re-write a ton of code to facilitate for 128 RAM modules that are supposed to function how he was expecting. jotego has said he has ten different 128 modules that hes tested with his cores and 2 of them have voltage variance in their capacitance that is setting off the memory errors.

he has also shown that when he added a 10uf capacitor in parallel to another 10uf cap on a "faulty" 128 module, this corrected the voltage variance and he was no longer getting the errors from before the mod.

(please note the polarity of the 10uf cap youre using before soldering)
I wouldn't characterize it like that - the modules were never designed or produced with that access method in mind (they were designed to support certain speeds with the existing SDRAM controller code), so the phrase "supposed to function how he was expecting" does not ring true.
He can relax the timings, and I understand that he intends to do so, so that the cores will work with existing hardware.

It should be noted that the following day, he wasn't able to elicit the error on any of the modules with the RBF which had shown them prior (based on conversation from his discord), so consider this an ongoing area of investigation.

Everybody should just calm down a bit, and refrain using language implying blame or fault.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

oh for sure!
i dont mean to put blame or point fingers at all.
im just compiling things ive read/seen about this topic.

i am hopeful jotego will work some magic with CPS1.5/CPS2 (downclock to 64mhz and simultaneously increase data throughput) and all will be well.
at that point, no one will need to mod anything and people that are selling 128 RAM modules can rest easy knowing they dont have to re-purchase 30 new pieces for their webstore.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

the hype for CPS2 is real and will mark a moment in emulation history, where arguably, the greatest era of capcom fighting games will be in FPGA
Apd7CRW.gif
Apd7CRW.gif (1.62 MiB) Viewed 7960 times
grogre

Unread post by grogre »

I think there are lot of things that could be involved in the arcade folder in Mister, sometimes things don't work, this part of mister is a bit more complicated than the console part and it can explain some difficulties.
I consider that a part of the problems is not due to ram but in mistakes with the arcade directory and the way to use it, i've made this experience, i thougt it was my ram modules but in fact a simple "blind" mra file that couldn't find the sfz 1.5 rom properly.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Happy Xmas everybody!
RetroP

Unread post by RetroP »

Chris23235 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:45 pm Had the same problem after running the Update All script. Downloaded the mra files from Jotego's repository and they fixed the problem.

Worked a treat!

Thank you :)
Vespa

Unread post by Vespa »

I have128MB ram module from https://misterfpga.co.uk and the latest update now makes Punisher and C&D both pop-up with address errors where before they worked fine :/ I think Jotego said he's done messing with it too fuuuuuu

suverman

Unread post by suverman »

Vespa wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:46 pm

I have128MB ram module from https://misterfpga.co.uk and the latest update now makes Punisher and C&D both pop-up with address errors where before they worked fine :/ I think Jotego said he's done messing with it too fuuuuuu

Send it back and ask for a replacement. Ricardo, Pork and Zerohimself have already said they will replace if people have issues with their RAMs.

Nat

Unread post by Nat »

I have 128MB ram module from https://misterfpga.co.uk

Sorry to hear your now having issues with Jotego's latest build, if you are one of my customers with a v2.5 128MB SDRAM module and having issues, just contact me. I will rework or exchange your SDRAM module.

MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
Vespa

Unread post by Vespa »

Nat wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:27 pm

I have 128MB ram module from https://misterfpga.co.uk

Sorry to hear your now having issues with Jotego's latest build, if you are one of my customers with a v2.5 128MB SDRAM module and having issues, just contact me. I will rework or exchange your SDRAM module.

Hey Nat, good to see you here! I just wanted to check if I was on the latest build (appears I am) and redo the RAM test. So I get no Red screen and there's no sound but the OSD led will flash once every 30 seconds, not sure if this counts as 'blinking' and therefore a fail?

Do you think it's best to wait for the CPS2 beta core to drop before exchanging the RAM? Save faffing around again if there's some unforeseen issue with that.

lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

There's already a new v3.0 board in production (a cooperation between Sorgelig and Ricardo), but frankly, I don't believe it's needed for the time being and with what we have.

Jotego should examine his proprietary SDRAM controller more closely, instead of issuing "tests" left and right.
suverman

Unread post by suverman »

lamarax wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:14 pm There's already a new v3.0 board in production (a cooperation between Sorgelig and Ricardo), but frankly, I don't believe it's needed for the time being and with what we have.

Jotego should examine his proprietary SDRAM controller more closely, instead of issuing "tests" left and right.
I believe you are wrong. Also JT has mentioned he will go back to core development from this week.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

lamarax wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:14 pm There's already a new v3.0 board in production (a cooperation between Sorgelig and Ricardo), but frankly, I don't believe it's needed for the time being and with what we have.

There were always unexplainable issues with certain SDRAM modules in several cores (e.g. the bug in FF VI were the game glitched for some people). All solutions were try and error workarounds. Jotego was the first one to come up with findings that could be reproduced and an explanation for these findings and the best of all a possible solution.

So maybe you shouldn't tell him what to do and what not to do. If you are happy with your current SDRAM module this is fine, you are free to ignore Jotego's hard work on the issue. Just don't tell other people how they should do their work which they share with the community for free.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Like Chris said, maybe you should try design and test new types of memory modules yourself?
It looks like quite a tedious process not to mention time and costs that are involved with making things that get basically given away at little to no cost?
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:44 pm So maybe you shouldn't tell him what to do and what not to do. If you are happy with your current SDRAM module this is fine, you are free to ignore Jotego's hard work on the issue. Just don't tell other people how they should do their work which they share with the community for free.
I admire Jotego's work and I'm grateful for everything he's been achieving to our collective benefit and enjoyment. I'm also equally -if not more- grateful to Sorgelig for what he has established. My knowledge and skills are way inferior to Jotego's; maybe that's why I've become frustrated with this whole issue forcing him to retrogress. I'm as hyped for what he has in store for us next as anyone really.

I'm sorry that my post came off in such an obnoxious and abrasive tone^; it wasn't meant to.
FatSlob71

Why move on to cps2 when Saturday Night Slam Masters illegal instruction error after the first boss fight is not fixed! ?
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Everything works for me now.
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

FatSlob71 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 am Why move on to cps2 when Saturday Night Slam Masters illegal instruction error after the first boss fight is not fixed! ?
Why not? Jotego is perfectly aware of that issue and he will fix it eventually. Just be patient.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

FatSlob71 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 am Why move on to cps2 when Saturday Night Slam Masters illegal instruction error after the first boss fight is not fixed! ?
Because the devs for the MiSTer FPGA cores don't work for you and aren't providing a consumer product. They are hobbyists. He wants to work on CPS2, and he will likely get back to SNSM later. He has an IRL job already, and a real life, like pretty much every single FPGA core dev in this space, so developing these cores and sharing them with us is kind of a favor.

Don't get upset or entitled please. It harms the community and increases the chances of burning out all the devs that work hard on these cores.
birdybro~
FatSlob71

Dismal that it is not fixed! That is the only one that produces any error all other CPS Range Releases WORK!!!
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

It's said to be a copy protection, and it has been placed on the lower priority queue.
If you want it fixed, i'd suggest diving into some reading material and help these devs by offloading these things from them as the way you're talking about it make it seem trivial to fix at best?
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

For those who want specific fixes, features or new cores there are two 'Director' subscriptions available at Jotego's patreon.