CPS 1.5

WolfgangBlack

Re: CPS 1.5

Unread post by WolfgangBlack »

:lol:
WolfgangBlack

Unread post by WolfgangBlack »

There's dozens of arcade cores that have worked fine without a lick of sprite corruption and the problem
with his cores was fixed through software so it's absurd to blame caps and flux for the issue.
Though I do suspect sea level rise due to global warming might be partly responsible.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

It hasn't been fixed yet. He's still looking at all the variations of behaviour.
And... he's the one blaming caps.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.
There is no such thing as capacitor ripple, may be ESR would be the correct term.
10uF ceramic capacitors won't make the cut, you need electrolytic (which is what Jotego used for his test as it is quicker to install) or better tantalum.
The software fix is due to the fact that Jotego managed to decrease the frequency from 96MHz to 48MHz while maintaining excellent throughput, he is a magician. But at 96MHz the problem with caps, ... is still here. And no, sea level rise due to global warming as nothing to do with it. I wish you would spot spewing garbage, visibly you don't know anything about electronics. There is nothing wrong about not knowing anything about electronics but I wish you would listen to people who know. I know enough to understand what is happening but there are others on this forum who have much better understanding than me.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Who are you addressing ?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

dshadoff wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:09 am Who are you addressing ?
Not you, you know a lot more than I do.
suverman

Unread post by suverman »

WolfgangBlack wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:09 am There's dozens of arcade cores that have worked fine without a lick of sprite corruption and the problem
with his cores was fixed through software so it's absurd to blame caps and flux for the issue.
Though I do suspect sea level rise due to global warming might be partly responsible.
Sorg on facebook has said he isnt ruling out caps. I really dont see why you need to put out disinformation like this. Clearly you dont have the skill or understanding of either Sorg or JT. So till they get to the bottom of it, sod off.
Higgy

Unread post by Higgy »

Yes a new memory tester would be a great idea.
I left Street Fighter Zero running for about 30mins and everything seemed ok with my 128mb module. Not sure if that means mine is good?

I think it would be helpful if there are photos of the various modules with a sketch added (or photo) showing new installed capacitor. Then it will help people in upgrading/improving their module. Jotego's photo I saw was from the other side.

Is the additional capacitor helpful if you don't have crashes, or will the capacitance be too great? I have a 10uF cap and no issues with soldering it on.
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

SSlammasters still has an issue with illegal address error ?
FatSlob71

This is going to Cost me a Dollar and Ten cents surely this can be fixed in code somehow ?
RetroP

Unread post by RetroP »

I can't seem to map coin button. It accepts the mapping but ingame nothing works. 1.5 only CPS1 works fine.
Marauder

Unread post by Marauder »

My 128MB SDRAM came from misterfpga.co.uk and it appears to work fine. Bought it around a year ago.
Did 3 or 4 stages on Punisher, and got to third stage of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. No issues.
Sumolx

Unread post by Sumolx »

My 128MB SDRAM works fine now... I figured out what was causing my crashes. I normally keep the Mister in a drawer which is deep and large because I can't stand fan noise. However, With this core I found that it requires cool airflow by leaving the drawer open as it runs fine without issues, if I close the drawer and allow the system to warm up I then start to get these crashes. However, this behavior does not happen with any other cores.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Other cores do not push the memory to its limits. I guess with normal cooling your memory is just at the limit of "failing", you close your drawer and your memory goes over the edge.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

FatSlob71 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:19 am SSlammasters still has an issue with illegal address error ?
In my case, it boots only after rebooting the core 7-10 times. Very randomly I would say. But when it boots it plays well without any illegal address errors.
I am sure it will be fixed, we need just to be patient :mrgreen:
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Problem is, Jt "downclocked" his old Street Fighter 1 core in order to accommodate "bad 128MB SDRAM modules" with his new controller, and the thing doesn't even boot up now.

I think we have a "tempest in a teacup" situation, where everything was working fine before, but now we want it to be "perfect" (breaking everything along the way)
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

RetroP wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:37 am I can't seem to map coin button. It accepts the mapping but ingame nothing works. 1.5 only CPS1 works fine.
Had the same problem after running the Update All script. Downloaded the mra files from Jotego's repository and they fixed the problem.
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

I got my ram from https://misterfpga.co.uk a few weeks ago. It plays everything fine except Punisher. The weird thing is that if Punisher is the first thing I boot up after the mister has been off for awhile it works perfect. I can leave it on and play it as many times I want without it crashing. However, if I load another core or even just reset it then it crashes at the beginning of the first level.

FatSlob71

So where exactly do we solder this cap to, any diagrams to follow ? I am Busy putting Behringer System 100 modules into my rack, will keep my busy for a while.
EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

hiddenbyleaves wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:23 am

I got my ram from https://misterfpga.co.uk a few weeks ago. It plays everything fine except Punisher. The weird thing is that if Punisher is the first thing I boot up after the mister has been off for awhile it works perfect. I can leave it on and play it as many times I want without it crashing. However, if I load another core or even just reset it then it crashes at the beginning of the first level.

This is exactly what happens in my case but with the SF Zero Qsound conversion. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Punisher seem to work fine.

My 128MB module is also from Nat.

dshadoff
Core Developer

That's interesting, because the FPGA is the part which heats up during use - not so much the RAM.
The FPGA's timing characteristics shift slightly within the operating temperature range, which is generally sent to the compiler as a hint; the default is to accept junction temperatures up to 100C.
But there are several potential scenarios which could cause it to fail timing at higher temperatures; these would be under the control of the programmer - and the compile output should provide visibility to the programmer of whether timing fits or fails, based on the assumptions/constraints in the system.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to electronics; one question remains though in my simple mind:

Jt updated his SF1 (not CPS1, nor QSound) core a couple of days ago with his new SDRAM controller, to supposedly accommodate people with "faulty" 128MB kits. Apparently he was unaware of the fact that cutting clock times to half, would render this particular core inoperable. That tells me more than blab about flux quality, electrolytic caps and the like. So who should I trust? Should I wait for someone to manufacture the "correct" module, which I have to buy anew in order to keep up, or should I write off all that stuff and enjoy what I have (including the awesome upcoming Cave 68K core)?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

EvilRyu wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:44 pm
hiddenbyleaves wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:23 am

This is exactly what happens in my case but with the SF Zero Qsound conversion. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Punisher seem to work fine.

My 128MB module is also from Nat.

@EvilRyu,
Just out of curiosity, would you please let me know if Slammasters plays well with your setup. I have got the 128MB ram from Nat as well.
Thanks!

silentheaven83

Unread post by silentheaven83 »

I got the 128 MB from Nat too and it’s very random. Three days ago I couldn’t start the first round of SFZero CPS1.5, yesterday I fought with three opponents.
Before SFZero I played without issue C&D and The Punisher.

It could depend if it’s the first core loaded after the boot or not, I don’t know, but it’s very random.
I'm pretty clueless too when it comes to electronics.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

silentheaven83 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:12 pm I got the 128 MB from Nat too and it’s very random. Three days ago I couldn’t start the first round of SFZero CPS1.5, yesterday I fought with three opponents.
Before SFZero I played without issue C&D and The Punisher.

It could depend if it’s the first core loaded after the boot or not, I don’t know, but it’s very random.
I'm pretty clueless too when it comes to electronics.
Thanks for your feedback. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, only Slammasters plays randomly. All the other games play perfeclty fine.
silentheaven83

Unread post by silentheaven83 »

We could ask if Nat changed something in assembling the boards through time if it does mean something. I don’t know if he’s here on the forum but it’s a very kind person.

I bought my board in September 2020, it’s a black board, v2.5, never had issues with other cores beside CPS1.5.
dshadoff
Core Developer

My understanding is that Jotego plans to relax the timing in his code, and get this working on existing modules.
fernie417

Unread post by fernie417 »

For whatever it's worth; also having trouble with only Saturday Night Slam Masters and no other game, including the other CPS1.5 games and the Street Fighter Alpha QSound hack. When I try to load SNSM up it won't get past the legal text. I was able to get it running occasionally, but after a few minutes of the Attract Mode running it would glitch out and crash. I have a 128mb ram module I bought in July 2020 from MisterAddons, blue board, v2.5.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

I also had an "illegal instruction" thrown on me with Saturday Night Slam Masters after i won the first round and the game progressed to the intro of the second round.
Other games like Punisher i could play all way through, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs i got up to round 8 before i had to turn it off so i couldn't get to complete it, the whole run was smooth though.

I've assembled my own 128MB module with 2 AS4C32M16SB-6TIN memory chips on the board.
patamar4

Unread post by patamar4 »

Saturday Night Slam Masters is some problem with protection or something and has nothing to do with sdram and Jotego already know that problem and he will investigate soon, now case of any error during the game or in attract mode there yes is with sdram.

For those who are not having problem with 128mb sdram and can do the following test:

Load some game of cps1 and as soon as the first image appears load the cadillac and dinossaur and leave in attract mode until you reach the forest stage where the three descend from the car until they pass through a tree, see if they pass this part without giving error