Castlevania Haunted Castle on MiSTer?

lallenlowe

Castlevania Haunted Castle on MiSTer?

Unread post by lallenlowe »

Does anyone know if there is a way to get Haunted Castle running on the MiSTer? Perhaps the jtcontra core?
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Castlevania Haunted Castle on MiSTer?

Unread post by aberu »

https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=565

If you read a bit more closely, you'll see that they have a completely different cpu. Haunted Castle uses a similar CPU to The Simpsons arcade game. Contra uses the M6809. It would have to be a new core, and there probably isn't a whole lot of overlap in components, that's my guess.
birdybro~
XtraSmiley

Unread post by XtraSmiley »

Also, it's a freaking TERRIBLE game! If you want to experience it, check out the sale on PSN right now, you can get it in the arcade collection for $5, but I wouldn't...

This is coming from someone who owns the actual PCB. I love the game, but it's so fucking bad! :P

Actually I hope it makes it in MiSTer one day so others can suffer and if a core developer needs the PCB, please PM me, I'll be happy to help the cause!
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

Haunted Castle is actually listed in the jtcontra readme as using the same graphics chip. The CPU is basically a 6909 with non-standard opcode assignments and a few custom instructions. So it definitely requires more work than a 6809-based game, but it should be reasonable to modify the existing 6809 HDL code instead of starting from scratch.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

The Simpsons arcade game uses a very similar CPU apparently, at least if System16 is to be trusted, so that might come about as a result of that game being targeted for a core release first :P
birdybro~