Rotate option

Mr^O^BIG

Rotate option

Unread post by Mr^O^BIG »

Hi guyz, I don't understand why some core vertical games have to rotate clockwise because normally it's counter clockwise, is it possible to add a feature for rotating in the both ways??? I think I'm not the only one who use rotating screen who just allow quarter circle :), thanks
DaveGeorge

Re: Rotate option

Unread post by DaveGeorge »

I agree it’s annoying that some games are rotated clockwise (those crt’s are heavy to rotade 😝). But isn’t there an option to flip screen in most cores? There has been in a few that I’ve tried at least.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

It's because arcade games were not consistent about the rotation direction, and the cores are simulating the arcade hardware. Some arcade games had a dip switch to flip it, but others didn't. It's probably a bit more annoying on Mister because a lot of the arcade cores are 'older' and there was less consistency in the early days of arcade games.

Just think of it this way: Mister is so accurate it is simulating the actual annoyance of trying to run multiple 'classic' arcade games in a single cabinet!
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

is it normal for double dragon I and II are running upside down?

is there a way to flip the screen? Because some games there is this option but I cant find for these two games
XtraSmiley

Unread post by XtraSmiley »

pbsk8 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:22 pm is it normal for double dragon I and II are running upside down?

is there a way to flip the screen? Because some games there is this option but I cant find for these two games
Use the dipswtich to screen flip the other way.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

What I remember is that some arcade cores expect the vertical blank at the other side of the display, which is why it wouldn't be trivial to change the direction.

I put my CRT on its side to play vertical games, but turning it upside down for some cores isn't a good idea because handling CRTs that are still warm can damage them.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I was going to start a new thread, but I guess this one will suffice. ;-)

Is there a keyboard shortcut to rotate the MiSTer menu? When my screen is on its side, it would be nice to not have to turn my head on its side to read the menus. I know I can program this per core in the MiSTer.ini file, but it would be nice if there was a way to press a key on the keyboard and rotate it 90 degrees at a time on the fly.

Thanks!
Vic20-Ian

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:52 am What I remember is that some arcade cores expect the vertical blank at the other side of the display, which is why it wouldn't be trivial to change the direction.
...but Gorf has a cocktail mode where the game either way ina 2 player game so why is it not possible to rotate this output for P1 the same way as for P2?

As the display code exists in the rom it may be possible to hack the rom slightly to e.g. display P1 and P2 cocktail mode the same way
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Vic20-Ian wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:25 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:52 am What I remember is that some arcade cores expect the vertical blank at the other side of the display, which is why it wouldn't be trivial to change the direction.
...but Gorf has a cocktail mode where the game either way ina 2 player game so why is it not possible to rotate this output for P1 the same way as for P2?

As the display code exists in the rom it may be possible to hack the rom slightly to e.g. display P1 and P2 cocktail mode the same way
I didn't think of this. That is an interesting idea. Would be great if that would work.
Vic20-Ian

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

Maybe someone smarter than me can hunt for these calls in the rom and patch it?

https://groups.io/g/ballyalley/message/16710

;******************************************************************************************
; ( UPSIDE DOWN RELABS ROUTINES FOR COCKTAIL MODE USE )
; SUBR cockrel norrel CALL, XCHG, 3FBF H LXI, A ANA,
; D DSBC, C A MOV, 0C0 XRI, A C MOV, RET,
; SUBR cockff ffnorrel CALL, XCHG, 3FBF H LXI, A ANA,
; D DSBC, C A MOV, 0C0 XRI, A C MOV, RET,
; -->
;******************************************************************************************

call norrel
ex de,hl
ld hl,$3FBF
and a
sbc hl,de
ld a,c
xor $C0
ld c,a
ret

call $05B2
ex de,hl
ld hl,$3FBF