First Q*Bert Release

retrodroid

Re: First Q*Bert Release

Unread post by retrodroid »

I'm having similar issues with the Q*bert core as described above, with subtle differences.

Using a multi-sync arcade monitor, if I try to boot using vga_scaler=0, I get absolutely nothing on the monitor. Black screen, no indications that it ever switched frequencies, no "Out of Range" display, and also the MiSTer menus are not visible. I *can* use the keyboard to reboot the MiSTer, but that's about it.

If I set vga_scaler=1, video_mode=6 (640x480@60), then when I launch it for a split second I see Q*bert being displayed with the selected scaler configs, etc. but then it once again goes to a completely black screen, can't see the MiSTer menus, etc. as above.

I tried manually removing the qbert.mra and qbert.rbf files, and reset my update all and re-ran it, but no difference. FYI it downloaded the QBert_20210215.rbf file.

Any suggestions?
zachcollier

Unread post by zachcollier »

Sorry I’m late to the topic.

Thanks for all of the discussion around this amazing release! This is one of my all-tine favorites, and the experience with this core is just awesome.
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

alanswx wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:27 pm This will be fixed in the next release.
Hi alanswx, I ran update_all but Q*Bert still doesn't rotate on my CRT. Do I need to do anything special to make it work other than choosing the option in the menu?
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

I need to recompile it.
retrodroid

mhartman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:45 pm
jca wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:54 pm
mhartman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:51 pm I’ve got the same issue. Everything just boots to a black screen and no activity (MISTER menu works though). I’m using a CRT arcade monitor that works great for most arcade cores. Any ideas? Thanks!
Are you using a USB drive?
No, just the SD card.
Same issue here with my arcade monitor. I opened a new issue for this on the github site.
mhartman

Unread post by mhartman »

retrodroid wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:10 pm
mhartman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:45 pm
jca wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:54 pm

Are you using a USB drive?
No, just the SD card.
Same issue here with my arcade monitor. I opened a new issue for this on the github site.
Try loading and using the update_all script. That fixed it (and several others) for me. The main update script seems to be broken.
rcade

Unread post by rcade »

Just curious, did you use the same x86 core as AO486 or write a new 8088 CPU core?
retrodroid

mhartman wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:13 am Try loading and using the update_all script. That fixed it (and several others) for me. The main update script seems to be broken.
I have gone in and manually removed all the Qbert files and then ran the update_all script twice now, no difference.
retrodroid

Could someone who has Qbert working at 15.7kHz on a CRT monitor please post their core file here so I can try it? The one I'm getting from the update_all script doesn't work for me.

Nevermind. I manually downloaded the Arcade-QBert_20210308.rbf file from the GitHub repo and tested it, same results, quick flash and then black screen. I updated the Issue in GitHub as well.
mhartman

Unread post by mhartman »

Can you go into the menu and hit reset once the core is loaded? Sometimes mine gets stuck on the black screen and this fixes it.

BTW, I’m really enjoying this core. Thanks to the developer on this!