Galaga sprites & scores backward for P2 in cocktail mode

Megamoose

Galaga sprites & scores backward for P2 in cocktail mode

Unread post by Megamoose »

I’ve noticed that when playing Galaga in cocktail mode with my MiSTer attached to a JAMMA cabinet that the sprites and scores are backward for player 2. The game otherwise plays fine, it’s just a little disorienting seeing the sprites facing the direction opposite of their movement - plus bonus scores appearing backward (ex: 008 instead of 800). I tried a reinstall as well as different versions of the Galaga ROM to same effect.

Is this just a quirk of the FPGA translation or has Galaga always been that way?
dshadoff
Core Developer

Re: Galaga sprites & scores backward for P2 in cocktail mode

Unread post by dshadoff »

When you say "backward", do you mean reversed left-right, or also up-down ?

A "cocktail" arcade was built into a table-top, with player 1 and player 2 facing each other and looking down at the screen...
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Galaga or galaxian? I changed galaxian to add a flip mode and might have messed something up. I looked at Galaga but wasn’t able to figure out a flip solution yet. Interesting.
Megamoose

dshadoff wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:22 pm When you say "backward", do you mean reversed left-right, or also up-down ?

A "cocktail" arcade was built into a table-top, with player 1 and player 2 facing each other and looking down at the screen...
Reversed left-right. The screen flips vertically to face player 2 appropriately and all movements are correct, but the sprites and bonus scores (i.e. those that appear momentarily when killing a complete bonus wave, boss ships, etc.) are reversed left-right.
Megamoose

alanswx wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:07 pm Galaga or galaxian? I changed galaxian to add a flip mode and might have messed something up. I looked at Galaga but wasn’t able to figure out a flip solution yet. Interesting.
I’ve just noticed it in Galaga. I’ll try Galaxian shortly and report back if sprites orient properly for player 2 in cocktail mode.
Megamoose

Megamoose wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:25 pm
alanswx wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:07 pm Galaga or galaxian? I changed galaxian to add a flip mode and might have messed something up. I looked at Galaga but wasn’t able to figure out a flip solution yet. Interesting.
I’ve just noticed it in Galaga. I’ll try Galaxian shortly and report back if sprites orient properly for player 2 in cocktail mode.
Tried Galaxian and everything’s oriented correctly on both sides of the cocktail table. Problem is specific to just Galaga.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

I will try to look at galaga. That is actually helpful. Because when I was trying to put flip in strange things were happening. I didn’t think to check the normal operation of the game.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

I just tried it with Galaga_20210118.rbf and it seems to work correclty.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

If this were a question of ROMs, wouldn't the MRA check script show that there is a CRC mismatch ?
...and to that point, have you run the MRA check script to verify that the CRC is correct ?
Megamoose

Sorry for not replying back sooner... Following my last reply, the extreme weather that moved into Texas on Sunday has been causing my power to constantly go in & out. I will check this weekend which versions it’s using. In the meantime, if helpful information I’m using a fresh installation using the latest versions pulled down by update_all.sh as of this past Saturday.
Megamoose

I ensured that I was on the latest versions of the RBF and ROM provided by update_all.sh and the problem persists. I made a short video to show what I’m seeing. It shows me starting a game as P1 and everything’s normal, then I walk around the table to show P2. Note the direction the enemies are facing when P2 is playing - they face left when flying right & vice-versa. You’ll also see where bonus scores appear backward for P2.

Here’s a link to the video: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0iGRMtznOJlCW