Battlezone

vampsthevampyre

Battlezone

Unread post by vampsthevampyre »

Been looking for a battlezone core, tried google and found this https://github.com/alanswx/Arcade-BattleZone_MiSTer now I have no idea what to do to get it working. Can anybody help I'm missing vector volcanoes in my life
alanswx
Core Developer

Re: Battlezone

Unread post by alanswx »

It isn't complete - it is missing the analog sound emulation. i will try to post a zip for you to try later today.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

vampsthevampyre wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:07 pm Been looking for a battlezone core, tried google and found this https://github.com/alanswx/Arcade-BattleZone_MiSTer now I have no idea what to do to get it working. Can anybody help I'm missing vector volcanoes in my life
Attachments
battlezone.zip
(835.28 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Let me know if you get it working. You will have to drop the RBF in the cores directory. Also the bradley trainer doesn't have nearly enough buttons hooked up.. that seemed like a drag for something that isn't probably that playable.
vampsthevampyre

OMG thank you, looks awesome plays 95%, don't want to sound picky only issue is the single joystick control, very hard to reverse and shoot the guided missiles. but hey living my best life at the moment
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

We can put in another joystick mode. Let me know what makes sense. Please try red Barron too.
caffeinekid

Unread post by caffeinekid »

Is battlezone without tank controls really battlezone? :)

I hope you can add the dual stick control method, it really does make a whole lot of difference to this game.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

caffeinekid wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:58 pm Is battlezone without tank controls really battlezone? :)

I hope you can add the dual stick control method, it really does make a whole lot of difference to this game.
After PSX ships for MiSTer we should have PSX style controls with two sticks. That will make it easier to map these tank games over - and games like black widow. Otherwise it is really impossible to play on a gamepad. I can add a mode where it uses the stick for the left joystick, and the buttons for the right joystick, but it will be clunky.
vampsthevampyre

Would love twin joystick control for battle zone, currently using a xbox controller. Red Barron is having controller issues, looks like its consistently moving to the right. Red Baron - non A doesn't work on my mister. Both versions of battle zone work, bradly trainer is just weird, loads but just graphical glitches
Trifle

Unread post by Trifle »

Thanks for the build Alan, nice to see that one coming!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

alanswx wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:17 pm
caffeinekid wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:58 pm Is battlezone without tank controls really battlezone? :)

After PSX ships for MiSTer we should have PSX style controls with two sticks. That will make it easier to map these tank games over - and games like black widow. Otherwise it is really impossible to play on a gamepad. I can add a mode where it uses the stick for the left joystick, and the buttons for the right joystick, but it will be clunky.
This made me think of the Robotron 2084 core, I double-checked and you can use all directions on both analog sticks with that core (for moving plus shooting directions), how does it achieve that?
JudgeDrokk

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

alanswx wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:50 am We can put in another joystick mode. Let me know what makes sense. Please try red Barron too.
I'm waiting for this pad to drop from RetroBIT :- The "LEGACY16"

https://retro-bit.com/legacy16/

This should fit the bill!

8BitDO make a pad with dual analog but it isnt 2.4g USB.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

The second analog stick is already supported. You can bind it like any other input. That's how I have robotron setup. I just verified it's not robotron specific by loading a random MRA and binding my right analog stick up direction to 'fire'

I believe the left analog is always an 'alternate' directional input, but the right analog is bindable like any input. Just set the core/mra up with fire up/down/left/right inputs and the user can bind them to the stick or buttons as they see fit.
retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

zakk4223 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:56 pm

The second analog stick is already supported. You can bind it like any other input. That's how I have robotron setup. I just verified it's not robotron specific by loading a random MRA and binding my right analog stick up direction to 'fire'

I believe the left analog is always an 'alternate' directional input, but the right analog is bindable like any input. Just set the core/mra up with fire up/down/left/right inputs and the user can bind them to the stick or buttons as they see fit.
Would it be feasible to make it so "dual stick" games like Robotron and Battlezone could be configured to use sticks from 2 different USB devices/"controllers" for P1?

My arcade cabinet uses two U360 joysticks, each one is a distinct USB device, normally one for P1 and the other for P2, but I can't find a way to map the P2 joystick for P1 to use as the shooting direction in Robotron. It's kind of a disaster for the cabinet experience. :(
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

Given the way the button mapping and input is structured in mister right now? No, it's not feasible as a generalized thing, at least not without some work.

I think that dual-stick cores like robotron/battlezone etc should be modified to have a 'use p2 directions as fire' option.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

I will modify it when I pick it back up. Supradues is working on the analog sound effects.

Btw - for red Barron try to make sure the analog joystick is properly configured.
vampsthevampyre

Sorry to be a bit on the dumb side but how do you configure the analogue joysticks properly
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

vampsthevampyre wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:49 pm Sorry to be a bit on the dumb side but how do you configure the analogue joysticks properly
In the menu when you first configure your joystick - you have to get past the mouse settings, etc and it will ask for the analog stick a second time. The first time it is just recognizing that you have one, not calibrating it.
retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

vampsthevampyre wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:35 pm Would love twin joystick control for battle zone, currently using a xbox controller. Red Barron is having controller issues, looks like its consistently moving to the right. Red Baron - non A doesn't work on my mister. Both versions of battle zone work, bradly trainer is just weird, loads but just graphical glitches
I can concur with all of these findings. Using a CRT via the VGA port.

Battlezone seems to work well, albeit with the current single-stick limitation.

Tested Red Baron with both my arcade Ultimarc U360 analog joystick and a bluetooth 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ controller with dual analog sticks. Pushing up or down on the stick sort of does something, but mostly your plane is just stuck in a tight right-hand turn.

Bradley Training runs but doesn't play, strange visual artifacts around the top and bottom edges form time to time.
bankshot

Unread post by bankshot »

Apologies for the necrobump, and please pardon my potential ignorance on the topic, but is there some reason why the directional controls on this Battlezone core weren't made to utilize the left and right analog thumb sticks on the PS4 controllers? I thought this kind of control was already possible on MiSTer without having to rely on a future PSX core.