CPS3 Core might be doable...

Yodasghost

CPS3 Core might be doable...

Unread post by Yodasghost »

...according to a Jotego tweet, but it's is also low priority

The fact that it's doable at all is the most exciting mister news for me, probably the most exciting thing considering that 3rd strike is my favourite game.
dataDave

Re: CPS3 Core might be doable...

Unread post by dataDave »

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is also massively underrated.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

If the Hitachi SH family of processors can be made to fit inside the Cyclone V, then we're looking at CPS3, Psikyo, CAVE1000A/B and whatnot.

I wouldn't be very optimistic.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Admirable if he can pull that one off.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

lamarax wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:41 pm If the Hitachi SH family of processors can be made to fit inside the Cyclone V, then we're looking at CPS3, Psikyo, CAVE1000A/B and whatnot.

https://j-core.org/ - This is a soft core that uses the same instruction set.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8373084 - The SH-2 fit inside a MAX 10 which is way less space for design than the Cyclone V that is in the DE10-Nano.

It's not really a question if the SH-2 will fit. It's a question if everything else will fit as well. :)

Also it's a question IF someone with the skills will want to work on it.
birdybro~
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

lamarax wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:41 pm If the Hitachi SH family of processors can be made to fit inside the Cyclone V, then we're looking at CPS3, Psikyo, CAVE1000A/B and whatnot.

Isn't it already mostly implemented in the WIP Saturn core? Why the pessimism?
Yodasghost

aberu wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:52 pm

Also it's a question IF someone with the skills will want to work on it.
I think this is the biggest issue tbh, it seems in this case atleast, where there's a will there's a way
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

i saw jotego's recent tweet about CPS3 being doable as well.
i would love to see a CPS3 core, and its something thats asked about almost daily in jotego's discord.

last i asked, he said he was going to finish up sega system 16 after CPS2 and then decide what the next system to work on will be.
there are rumors that PGM is next (which will be awesome) but could also be another popular arcade system (midway t/y unit).

if CPS3 was announced as a work in progress from jotego, i would donate some real money to his patreon
Vespa

Unread post by Vespa »

EzHQBjdWYAgPQhA.jpg
EzHQBjdWYAgPQhA.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 8342 times

I would love CPS3, sure it's a small selection of games but they're all really cool. No home port of Warzard too : (
Yodasghost

Vespa wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:31 am I would love CPS3, sure it's a small selection of games but they're all really cool. No home port of Warzard too : (
Ngl, I would probably buy a second mister and diy a dedicated 3rd strike cabinet, but I understand that it's so few games makes it lower priority
vgesoterica

Unread post by vgesoterica »

CPS 3 would be awesome but I get it would be a low priority...compared to other platforms it's an awesome but tiny library
Yodasghost

vgesoterica wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:53 pm CPS 3 would be awesome but I get it would be a low priority...compared to other platforms it's an awesome but tiny library
Ah cool to see you here man! the only arcade board I'd seriously consider buying is cps3, my love for 3rd strike is that immense lol, unfortunately prices are a little out of hand some I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that cps3 will make it to mister eventually :) - the progress in the saturn core has been very encouraging for me cos I know they share a chip
AyeYoYOYOOO

Unread post by AyeYoYOYOOO »

With only six games and a smaller audience than many other boards & consoles with far bigger fan bases, it’s a long shot.

But the Street Fighter 3 series is utterly beautiful and some of the greatest Sprite animations ever, along with Martial Masters on IGS PGM.

Would be a dream come true if CPS1 2 & 3 could all be in one incredible lag free box.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

Jotego was saying it might require faster memory than what's available with the MiSTer. He's considering doing it for the Antonio Villena's ZXDOS+ which has a faster memory interface for DDR.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

with the news about PSX core being abandoned by the developers,
and this update about CPS3 requiring faster DDR than the de10 can offer, i think were approaching the end of the cores possible for the MiSTer.
at least, the more complex cores.

thats not a bad thing,
but imo, i think we may/may not see sega saturn, and PSX also may/may not happen on the de10.
using a magic 8ball as my guide, i foresee the remaining cores developed for the MiSTer are arcades from the mid 90s (toaplan, midway, PGM), and some handhelds.
again, i dont see that as a bad thing, as the MiSTer in its current form is a retro beast.

and yes, having CPS3 on the MiSTer is THE capcom core im most anticipating,
third strike is so important to the FGC and the history of capcom, as im sure anyone reading this is aware.
perhaps ill be proven wrong, and jotego finds a secret weapon that can utilize the DDR in a new way, or some other tricks to relieve/offload some of the processing with a hybrid solution for CPS3, but i wouldnt recommend someone buy a MiSTer expecting CPS3, PSX and saturn cores

Fw2gFKc.png
Fw2gFKc.png (330.9 KiB) Viewed 6856 times
Yodasghost

PikWik wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:45 pm with the news about PSX core being abandoned by the developers,
and this update about CPS3 requiring faster DDR than the de10 can offer, i think were approaching the end of the cores possible for the MiSTer.
at least, the more complex cores.
Aww man I hadn't heard this, did he bring this up in Twitter? Can you send me a link?
Yodasghost

dmckean wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:37 pm Jotego was saying it might require faster memory than what's available with the MiSTer. He's considering doing it for the Antonio Villena's ZXDOS+ which has a faster memory interface for DDR.

This is really disappointing to hear but I'm glad hardware exists that it's possible on (and easily available) even if it isn't mister, could you send me a link to this info?
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

this is what he posted in his discord when asked about CPS3

04mpt5b.png
04mpt5b.png (439.69 KiB) Viewed 6344 times

and then someone asked if there could be a DDR add-on board, and he replied with

PqPwg03.png
PqPwg03.png (37.61 KiB) Viewed 6344 times

---------------------------------

so, jotego saying something like that, tells me hes put some thought into CPS3 recently, and its just not possible.
"could there be a way he works around this?"
maybe. but the more likely conclusion is that he develops it for a different FPGA board.
Yodasghost

PikWik wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:40 pm
so, jotego saying something like that, tells me hes put some thought into CPS3 recently, and its just not possible.
"could there be a way he works around this?"
maybe. but the more likely conclusion is that he develops it for a different FPGA board.
Well ultimately this is still good news, because it means he is atleast somewhat interested in doing it, honestly I'd happily buy a new 120€ fpga board for a cps3 core, the real hardware + a supergun can run you £700+ easy that's not even including the newer ultra simms option which will put in over 1k.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

if/when a CPS3 core gets released, i have a bartop cabinet i made some years ago that i would 100% turn into a dedicated CPS3 machine

lftngAe.png
lftngAe.png (4.59 MiB) Viewed 6344 times
retro

Unread post by retro »

That sucks.... but it's totally understandable
At least all CPS3 games have been ported to home consoles, with the exception of Red Earth
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a hardware upgrade to the MiSTer environment in the next 5-6 years though
After all, the MiSTer is an evolution of the original MiST project :)