Burgertime running slow

Froboz

Burgertime running slow

Unread post by Froboz »

Burgertime is running super *slow for me when I get to stage 4. Has anyone run through all the stages of Burgertime? Thanks :-) .

*slow = feels like 3 frames a second .
Messemet

Re: Burgertime running slow

Unread post by Messemet »

Yes, exactly, thank you! I’ve been trying to solve this myself over a couple MiSTer/core updates with no luck, but now I’m glad to know it’s not just me. It’s as if the high number of enemy/burger sprites overwhelms the system, resulting in massive slowdown. The slowdown doesn’t kick in until most of the enemies make their way on screen. Haven’t encountered it in any other BurgerTime levels, just stage 4.

As for comparing against the actual cabinet, this footage at 23:18 ( https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_contin ... =emb_title ) seems to show the OG cab running stage 4 without any slowdown.

If it helps at all to troubleshoot this, I’m running with the 128mb SDRAM, displaying via HDMI, and using the rom provided from update_all.
Messemet

Hmm, watching the video above a bit closer, it looks like when dropping multiple stacks of burgers around 23:39 does result in some similar slowdown, but is quickly resolved after dropping finishes. In comparison, I’m seeing slowdown for the entirety of stage 4 on MiSTer.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Question?
Does the original hardware have the same behavior?
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Froboz

Unread post by Froboz »

It gets slow early on at stage 4 with Mister. I have only played Burgertime at Funspot in NH but I do not remember it being this slow. Here is a quick video I took from my phone on the Mister playing Burgertime.https://youtu.be/IcAW635q7Ac . I understand the hesitancy and I would hate for a developer to look into this only to find out its just the way the game is but my gut is telling me its wrong.
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Try this core:
Attachments
Arcade-BurgerTime_20210427.zip
(784.35 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Froboz

Unread post by Froboz »

paulbnl wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:34 pmTry this core:
That was quick! I'll try it today for sure :-)
Froboz

Unread post by Froboz »

paulbnl wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:34 pmTry this core:
I checked the version was right by bringing up the OSD before playing. Sadly about the same slowness.
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

That's too bad. Comments in the code indicated that there should be 272 instead of 261 lines per frame so I changed that but apparently it doesn't help.
Messemet

paulbnl wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:16 pm That's too bad. Comments in the code indicated that there should be 272 instead of 261 lines per frame so I changed that but apparently it doesn't help.
Confirmed on my side as well, new core still hits slowdown on stage 4. Thanks for giving it a shot!
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Next try. Mame says the CPU should run at 1.5MHz instead of 0.75MHz.
Attachments
Arcade-BurgerTime_20210428.zip
(777.55 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Froboz

Unread post by Froboz »

that looks like it did the trick! Thanks much Paulbnl :D . Speed seems normal now on stage 4. I only got there once so far as I am not really that good at Burgertime :-| .What do you think Messemet?

Edit: got through all of stage 4 and it feels normal, but again I am no expert on Burgertime.
Messemet

Nice! The 0428 core is also resolving the stage 4 slowdown for me as well. I’ll poke around this new version some more later today, but otherwise, this is looking great! Thanks so much paulbnl for jumping in on this and improving this doofy game I love.

Now I’m ready to drill that 5-second song loop into my head even further.
Messemet

Checking back in after looping all 6 levels with the 4-enemies and 6-enemies settings, and everything looks good to me. I am not a professional BurgerTime player, and I do not have a BurgerTime cabinet within arm’s reach to compare against, but I’m pretty satisfied with the fix. Thanks again, paulbnl!