CPS 2 Release to Public ?

Fallon

Re: CPS 2 Release to Public ?

Unread post by Fallon »

zakk4223 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:53 am You need to add the DOWNLOAD_BETA_CORES to update_jtcores.ini not update_all.ini

Or just use the configuration mode of update_all and set it that way
Funny, there's no update_jtcores.ini in my Scripts folder. What a complete confusing mess this update process is.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Just delete your update_all.ini, start update_all script, when it starts press the up arrow and configure what you want to enable. Don't forget to save and execute the script.

Edit: I see that you have llapi stuff in your ini file. Do you use llapi?
Your update_all.ini has so much stuff in it.
Mine, created by the using the configuration screen has only:
UNOFFICIAL_UPDATER="true"
BIOS_GETTER="false"
BIOS_GETTER_INI="update_all.ini"
DOWNLOAD_BETA_CORES="true"
theypsilon
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by theypsilon »

Fallon wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:50 am
zakk4223 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:53 am You need to add the DOWNLOAD_BETA_CORES to update_jtcores.ini not update_all.ini

Funny, there's no update_jtcores.ini in my Scripts folder. What a complete confusing mess this update process is.
This is all you have to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcKBAxl82k
retro

Unread post by retro »

theypsilon wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:53 pm
Fallon wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:50 am

This is all you have to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcKBAxl82k
Works beautifully! Thank you!
Pulsar

Unread post by Pulsar »

Sorry if I missed it, but what's the trick for getting the CPS2 games to run after going public? Everything worked prior to this, but right now, they're only showing a black screen upon boot-up.

Steps taken so far, followed the instructions 'letter-perfect' using the update_all script, even downloaded the new beta.zip for the month of July, sadly nothing! Any ideas I might have overlooked?
Pulsar

Unread post by Pulsar »

Nobody else experienced this issue with the 7/2 updates from Jotego's CPS2? It was suggested on Patreon that the black screen is a result of not seeing the rom file, yet before the update, it worked fine. The rom files are still there, just as they were prior to the update. The only changes are the 7/2 .mra files. What could have gone wrong in the span of 1 update?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It looks like you are the only one. How is your MISTer set up? Is everything on SD card, USB drive with just the games directory, ...
Pulsar

Unread post by Pulsar »

jca wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:25 pm It looks like you are the only one. How is your MISTer set up? Is everything on SD card, USB drive with just the games directory, ...
Thank you for the reply. Yeah, everything is on SD except for the CD systems which I have on USB. Matter of fact, this is even a fresh install from early Jun, again with everything working perfect. Even had some friends over last week throwing around a few games of Marvel vs Capcom. Not one hiccup, until the 7/2 updates and the core going public. It's like something broke in the execution of the rom. I've walked away a few times, but I just can't wrap my head around it.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Very strange!
You could try to delete the CPS2 rbf, all the mras related to CPS2, all the roms related to CPS2 and re-run the update all script making sure that beta is enabled for jotego.
Pulsar

Unread post by Pulsar »

jca wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:48 pm Very strange!
You could try to delete the CPS2 rbf, all the mras related to CPS2, all the roms related to CPS2 and re-run the update all script making sure that beta is enabled for jotego.
You know what's funny? It's the jtcps2_20210702.rbf that I believe is the primary cause of this. Per your advice though, would you believe I did that, twice already, just in hopes the first time I might have overlooked something. From your experience, is there anything in the rbf that points to a directory or looks for a certain prerequisite before loading the game?

What bothers me the most is, why only on my system? I have the same hardware as everyone else, my MemTest passes without issue, and I'm using the same script that I'm sure everyone else is using. Despite my current CPS2 issues, I'd say my MiSTer runs quite flawless.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I have no idea.
The last resort idea I proposed would be a lot of work and does not guarantee it will fix the problem.
Instead you can do the following if you installed the arcade organizer and use WinSCP (if you use a different FTP client it should be similar).
In WinScp navigate to _Arcade -> _Organized -> _2 Core -> _jtcps2. You should see links to all the cps2 mra.
Double click on one, it will open the mra in the deitor and you can see the name of the roms (zip file) they should all have the qsound.zip which came from cps1.5 so I don't think it is the problem. The other(s) are the zip(s) you have to check for in the mame directory (may be also the hbmame directory).
I also suppose you tried all CPS2 mras and they all give you a black screen.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

...or just delete /media/fat/Scripts/.cache/mame-getter/last_run and run update_all again :)

[Edit] Don't delete the whole path! Just the last_run file found in there. You may need to turn "show hidden files" on, depending on your file system.

[re-Edit] :) oh, I see, well it must be a symlink issue. Delete the whole /media/fat/_Arcade/_Organized folder, as well as /media/fat/Scripts/.cache/arcade-organizer/last_run. That should do it I think :fingers_crossed:
Pulsar

Unread post by Pulsar »

I can't believe I'm beating myself up over this when it's easier to just wipe the card and do a clean install. I'm determined to find the issue, but at the same time, I'm letting a machine fool me and get the better end. I'm not even in the Arcade area unless we have company over, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what happened. I do appreciate your help and advice.

One thing I know for certain, this issue was nonexistent prior to the jotego packs being added to the update_all script. That's another day though.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You are like me: when something does not work I always want to find out what happened even if I know an easy way to "fix" problem without knowing what was the cause. Good luck and please report if you find anything. The last idea I posted will at least tell you if the roms are on your system or not.
Pulsar

Unread post by Pulsar »

jca wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:29 pm You are like me: when something does not work I always want to find out what happened even if I know an easy way to "fix" problem without knowing what was the cause. Good luck and please report if you find anything.
Thank you, and absolutely. This is twice I've had it happen, and although I'm willing to call the first time a fluke, the second time is no mistake. Something about my setup rejects any major update from Jotego's cores, and I can't understand why.
jca wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:29 pm
The last idea I posted will at least tell you if the roms are on your system or not.
As they say, therein lies the problem. Everything checks out rom-wise, and even after doing clean-ups and re-syncs, the latest batch of CPS2 roms just outright refuse to boot now. Elsa's almost knocking at my front door though, so I'm calling it a day until she passes over.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Keep safe!
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Pulsar wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:51 pm Thank you, and absolutely. This is twice I've had it happen, and although I'm willing to call the first time a fluke, the second time is no mistake. Something about my setup rejects any major update from Jotego's cores, and I can't understand why.

As they say, therein lies the problem. Everything checks out rom-wise, and even after doing clean-ups and re-syncs, the latest batch of CPS2 roms just outright refuse to boot now. Elsa's almost knocking at my front door though, so I'm calling it a day until she passes over.
I've had similary issues where i just decided to do a clean install, set up the system, then run the update-all script made with love by theypsilon and it all works for me now.

Only thing i've adjusted after one failed setup is that i altered the ini files to download the MRA's to my SD and the other files to my SSD on USB0, because the MRA's on my external drive just wouldn't show up in the menu. (folder structure issue maybe, i don't really know)

Everything is working now, and i really like the CPS2 core it's f'ing awesome!
For me the CPS2 / CPS3 is the peak of 2D arcade hardware together with NEO GEO.

Jotego you've really done a good job on this one, am i mistaken or did core load / boot times also improve dramatically?
I'm under the impression that they start faster now?
Pulsar

Unread post by Pulsar »

jca wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:00 pmKeep safe!
Thanks. Rough night for sure, but luckily she's moved on.

MostroW wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:14 am I've had similary issues where i just decided to do a clean install, set up the system, then run the update-all script made with love by theypsilon and it all works for me now.
Yeah, I'm not going to spend anymore time on this. Jotego's update has already burned me twice, and there won't be a third time. I know for certain that it wasn't an issue my current install, nor was it my SD card, and my MiSTer hardware is running exactly as it should. No sir, two factors contributed to this problem, and I can rule out one of them! The other, well he has enough patreon supporters that he doesn't need to worry about my business.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Sorry to hear that. I understand your frustration. This is a very strange problem and it seems to happen only very rarely.
Pulsar

Unread post by Pulsar »

I enthusiastically enjoy the MiSTer setup more than any other console or gaming unit in the house. I have, since day one, been amazed by all the possibilities this little box is capable of producing. That being said, it all boils down to patience more than anything, and while 10 years ago I'd pull my hair out trying to determine exactly what happened in this update and the prior, it just isn't worth it anymore. Especially when time is better spent just doing a clean install.

I was optimistic in hoping for an easy fix, but no more complaints here.
H6rdc0re

Unread post by H6rdc0re »

None of the CPS2 games are working on my Mister. I get a black screen in all games running @1920x1440. 194x did work once running @1920x1080. Does anyone know if any setting results in black screens?
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

How do you get the games? I ran the update all script and I only have cps 1 and 1.5 games on there.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Did you enable beta option?
Pulsar

Unread post by Pulsar »

I'm not much help, but the same thing was happening to me, throwing out black screens on every CPS2 game that I tried launching. I never messed with the screen settings though, didn't have to. Of course, my solution to do a clean install is always the last resort, but did you try some of the other options listed above?
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

C-R-T wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:05 pm How do you get the games? I ran the update all script and I only have cps 1 and 1.5 games on there.
theypsilon wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:53 pm This is all you have to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcKBAxl82k
That video is probably the easiest way to show enabling it.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Do these games require 128 MB RAM? I only have 32 MB and all the CPS-2 games have garbled graphics.
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

C-R-T wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:01 am Do these games require 128 MB RAM? I only have 32 MB and all the CPS-2 games have garbled graphics.
No, some of them work fine with 32MB and the rest needs 64MB at least.
chimaera

Unread post by chimaera »

I am also getting all black screens on the CPS2 games. I updated through the update_all script with beta on
chimaera

Unread post by chimaera »

I think I actually solved it.

qsound.zip needs to be in the same folder as the games, effectively games/mame.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

C-R-T wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:01 am Do these games require 128 MB RAM? I only have 32 MB and all the CPS-2 games have garbled graphics.
See viewtopic.php?p=29093#p29093