Space Invaders - Background Graphics

Reg

Space Invaders - Background Graphics

Unread post by Reg »

Does anyone have the correct background graphics that can be used with Space Invaders please for the Arcade Core ?

Many thanks in advance.
FatSlob71

Re: Space Invaders - Overlay

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

I was just thinking the same thing today where is the overlay?
Reg

Re: Space Invaders - Overlay

Unread post by Reg »

FatSlob71 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:07 pm I was just thinking the same thing today where is the overlay?
Ah sussed.

So the overlay turns on the graphic bands for the defencese etc and the red bonus alien.

The real question ( and I've edited the topic ), is does anyone have the background graphic please and where do we store this ?
Jegriva

Re: Space Invaders - Background Graphics

Unread post by Jegriva »

The background in the original arcade was just a reflection on the glass. The game code just renders the spaceship, the aliens and the shields.
A fantastic rendition of the background and the trasparency was implemented in the Snes port. I guess maybe Taito Legends on PS2 and Xbox have it.
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

Jegriva wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:40 am The background in the original arcade was just a reflection on the glass. The game code just renders the spaceship, the aliens and the shields.
A fantastic rendition of the background and the trasparency was implemented in the Snes port. I guess maybe Taito Legends on PS2 and Xbox have it.
Ok sure we can find that.

Does anyone know where we place the background on the SD card and what format / size it should be as well as the filename ?

Thank you.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Reg wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:37 pm Does anyone know where we place the background on the SD card and what format / size it should be as well as the filename ?
You can put it where you want because it won't load by itself, you will have to do it, I also suppose the core will have to be modified in order not to trash the background. The Vectrex core put the overlays in the same directory as the roms. I do not know the format. For the size I suppose it is the native resolution used by the core
OriginalXOR

Unread post by OriginalXOR »

Taken from the GitHub page (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... ers_MiSTer)
Scripts and Such
Color Overlay
The Midway games often shipped with a plastic color overlay to add color to the games. The Taito boards had color overlay hardware. This included two roms (one for each direction of cocktail games) that added color in a fixed position on the screen. The Taito rom was a digital version of the plastic overlay. Included is a python script that converts the MAME .lay files into Taito color overlay rom format. All games that had plastic overlays now have color roms included.

Graphic Overlays
Many games were enhanced with 1/2 silvered mirrors and fancy graphics. Some games like 280Z ZZap even had a toy car in view. There is a script that will convert a PNG into raw hex codes to include in the MRA file.
The script that is mentioned can be found here:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... t_image.py

Artwork files can be found here:
https://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwor ... ?p=14#here