New distribution system for Jotego cores

ericgus09

Re: New distribution system for Jotego cores

Unread post by ericgus09 »

aberu wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:24 am now the beta core is downloaded with jtupdater and the key to unlock it is downloaded from patreon.
The update_all script needs this to be disabled by default and "opt-in" by the patreon support themselves .. so these beta cores that require a key are NOT downloaded by default.. put up instructions on the patreon page how to turn it on and opt-in and setup your key ..
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

ericgus09 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:34 am
aberu wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:24 am now the beta core is downloaded with jtupdater and the key to unlock it is downloaded from patreon.
The update_all script needs this to be disabled by default and "opt-in" by the patreon support themselves .. so these beta cores that require a key are NOT downloaded by default.. put up instructions on the patreon page how to turn it on and opt-in and setup your key ..
And this is exactly how it is done:

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1403215950548197379

"You will be able to download betas via the update_all script. But you will have to enable the feature manually.
Thanks to theYpsilon for adding support to this on his script."
Nemesis2k

Unread post by Nemesis2k »

darksakul wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:41 pm License key for FPGA cores? This kinda makes me want to end my support on Patreon
How is this any different to paying patreon to unlock access to beta cores?
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

Jotego says this option is disabled by default. It can be enabled from the Jotego cores section in update_all. If you run the script via SSH, be sure to run this before update_all.sh command:

Code: Select all

cd /media/fat/Scripts
Otherwise update_all.ini new settings will be saved in the current directory (/root) and will not be applied when the script runs.
antonie

Unread post by antonie »

Nemesis2k wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:23 am
darksakul wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:41 pm License key for FPGA cores? This kinda makes me want to end my support on Patreon
How is this any different to paying patreon to unlock access to beta cores?
It is about the spirit and philosophy associated with MiSTer and FPGA cores.

I absolutely agree that each contributor should be free to monitize their work. I also agree that reverse engineering is not the same as paying someone for access to core ROMs. So all good there.

What I do disagree with is embedding, what is effectively, digital rights management into the actual cores that will be physically present on hardware; and then distributing it as such via the MiSTer update script. I, for one, do not want to "pollute" my system with cores I need conditional access to.

I'm also working on my own core (admittedly a long term project based on work, family and study commitments) but once done, I will freely contribute it as "payment" for enjoying the work of others. Which I believe is in the spirit of the MiSTer project.

For those who cannot build their own cores, if they wish to support particular developers....well, there are ways to do that other than a digital rights management feature.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

antonie wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:55 am What I do disagree with is embedding, what is effectively, digital rights management into the actual cores that will be physically present on hardware; and then distributing it as such via the MiSTer update script. I, for one, do not want to "pollute" my system with cores I need conditional access to.
But it is not distributed via the MiSTer update script. Update_all is a different script that is not the default script for updating your MiSTer.
13r

Unread post by 13r »

I am happy about the feature ending up as an opt-in option on the update_all script. Not disturbing the majority of the community by default and enabling an easier way to update betas for patreons.
Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

And you have to turn on an option to download the beta cores from jotego. You won't be "polluting" your system unless you go in and turn that option on. And only if you're using update_all, not the MiSTer update script.
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

Being an option turned off by default as he already says, I don´t see the point for the drama. Those who are actual patreons will work as always with a new tool that help them downloading the beta stuff -cores, mras, roms...-, but everything else is untouched. Nobody will download anything at all if they don´t want to.

I see it very reasonable.
Nemesis2k

Unread post by Nemesis2k »

antonie wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:55 am I'm also working on my own core (admittedly a long term project based on work, family and study commitments) but once done, I will freely contribute it as "payment" for enjoying the work of others. Which I believe is in the spirit of the MiSTer project.
These cores will be 100% free when complete, and you won't have any of these BETA cores/ROMs in your MiSTer system unless you specifically go out of your way to gather them by enabling an alternate update script to include these specific cores. Nothing has changed other than current Patreon subscribers have a handier method to update their MiSTer. Trying to paint this as some ethically corrupt tactic that is against the open-source ethos of the MiSTer project holds absolutely no water, and comes across as hyperbolic.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Yes, this was made this way after over a day and a half of negative feedback toward the idea.
Hodor wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:45 am Being an option turned off by default as he already says, I don´t see the point for the drama. Those who are actual patreons will work as always with a new tool that help them downloading the beta stuff -cores, mras, roms...-, but everything else is untouched. Nobody will download anything at all if they don´t want to.

Yes, you should notice that it was about 36 hours after his announcement that this was made official, that it was default off. Originally it didn't sound like it was an ini option at all. I think this change was made at the last minute.
birdybro~
Chris23235
Top Contributor

aberu wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:02 pm
Yes, this was made this way after over a day and a half of negative feedback toward the idea.
Hodor wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:45 am Being an option turned off by default as he already says, I don´t see the point for the drama. Those who are actual patreons will work as always with a new tool that help them downloading the beta stuff -cores, mras, roms...-, but everything else is untouched. Nobody will download anything at all if they don´t want to.

Yes, you should notice that it was about 36 hours after his announcement that this was made official, that it was default off. Originally it didn't sound like it was an ini option at all. I think this change was made at the last minute.
Originally there was no info at all, you just assumed it would be on by default. And even then, update_all is not an official script. The script was made by theypsilon. So maybe if you don't like to use the script the don't do it.

The script is provided by theypsilon for free, it is up to you to download it and use it, nobody forces you to use it. If you don't like how theypsilon handles the script, don't use it.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Chris23235 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:33 pm
aberu wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:02 pm

Originally there was no info at all, you just assumed it would be on by default. And even then, update_all is not an official script. The script was made by theypsilon. So maybe if you don't like to use the script the don't do it.

The script is provided by theypsilon for free, maybe it is not that you are forced to use it. If you don't like how theypsilon handles the script, don't use it.
Jotego officially saying that this is because of the feedback seems to indicate that it was not originally planned this way.

I have no major problem with how it's being done now (except for a minor annoyance at patreon ads being put into a core in principle).

My concern wasn't in how I would personally use it, my concern was about people being confused and frustrated who got it from the update-all script and weren't aware of the change and what it was, and then complaining about the MiSTer not working in some issues page or whatever. This was a concern over the platform being tarnished in some way with effectively what is adware.
birdybro~
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

I find all this discussion amusing in light that if you do flip the beta switch in Update All, you get...nothing.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

rhester72 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:11 pm I find all this discussion amusing in light that if you do flip the beta switch in Update All, you get...nothing.
jotego
33m
Please do not enable the beta option in update_all until we confirm everything is ready. We are testing now. #MiSTerFPGA
Chris23235
Top Contributor

aberu wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:07 pm
Jotego officially saying that this is because of the feedback seems to indicate that it was not originally planned this way.
Can you point me to where he said this?
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

aberu wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:02 pm [...]

At least the feedback means something for him, which is good by the way. The original idea shared by him on Twitter was a bit confusing and I did not like it either.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Chris23235 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:21 pm
Can you point me to where he said this?
After this I probably won't reply for awhile. I am going on vacation and going to be less active, but here ya go, here's the evidence that I used to justify my position I stated earlier. You will see that the plan originally was that people could opt-out of jt betas in the ini for update-all and due to negative feedback online they changed this to opt-in.

Twitter - June 9th 2021 12:27PM MST - https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1402693896988135424 "It just means that you will hit update_all on your MiSTer and get all files download for you."
7CbvAwBA0A.png
7CbvAwBA0A.png (19.16 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
MiSTer FPGA discord in #general-discussion June 9th 2021 3:15PM MST - "jotego Very interesting feedback. I'll try to make things work out well for everyone. ... You will not be forced to get beta cores if you don't want to. Just edit the config file for update_all."
UEt1bQDvAC.png
UEt1bQDvAC.png (47.6 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
JTFPGA discord in #general_patrons channel - June 9th 2021 3:22PM MST - "jotego It's a hard choice because I want to make life easy for patrons. So I'm inclined to add the betas in the current JTBIN repository and create a new repo for public stuff. So non-patrons will be the ones who have to edit their current config file to opt out"
KNDu2RMPsA.png
KNDu2RMPsA.png (14.2 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
JTFPGA discord in #general_patrons channel - June 9th 2021 3:24PM MST - "Dinierto IMO it might be better if it could be coordinated with the update_all script to where you could opt IN as a setting in the INI, then nobody has cores that won't run or that they don't need".
HfMzHsyXTY.png
HfMzHsyXTY.png (12.18 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
So you can see, the day of making this officially announced the plan was that users could OPT OUT in the ini, meaning they would all receive it. Lots of users gave feedback that was basically liked and reacted to which said it should be opt-in by default, meaning the user would have to consent to being sent the adware beta. Then, yesterday at 8:57AM MST...

JTFPGA discord in #general_patrons channel - June 10th 2021 8:57AM MST - "jotego I'm working with theYpsilon so it will be default off in update_all"
BmpIIR5n66.png
BmpIIR5n66.png (6.51 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
I applaud jotego for changing what was originally planned. Good on him.

But to those of us who were paying attention and providing this feedback, the evidence is clear as day that the original plan was to automatically start pushing out what is essentially adware to users that were completely unaware of the situation.

I don't understand the fanaticism surrounding jotego or why there are people that feel the need to make up their own facts to defend him. He's just a developer who is doing something he likes and doing a good job at it. No developer should have this weird cult surrounding them.
birdybro~
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Example... Prior to our feedback, this is what the average user who uses update-all would have seen when it was opt-out by default (meaning the user would have to actively opt-out of getting betas).
CpP5YbtDDv.png
CpP5YbtDDv.png (249.59 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
This is really goofy to even dispute that this would cause frustration.
birdybro~
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

I think the current system we have of releasing partially functioning cores and not clearing marking them as beta is a lot more frustrating. This shouldn't just be for jotago cores.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

dmckean wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:48 pm I think the current system we have of releasing partially functioning cores and not clearing marking them as beta is a lot more frustrating. This shouldn't just be for jotago cores.
Do you have an example of this previously in mind? I'm not sure what you mean.
birdybro~
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

First impressions:
Disappointed by the nagging/advert popup: it should at least time out so we can enjoy the little there is to see.
The system seems to start only for SYSTEM16, no CPS2. How will it go for new patrons? Will they have to use the old method, will they be excluded because they became a patron too late or simply priority was given to SYSTEM16 and CPS2 will come later?
The organizer script seems to have some trouble: no SYSTEM16 in Manufacturer -> Sega.
Only + (this is the smallest + sign available on my KB): you can check that the core loads properly on your MISTer and that the graphics are not corrupted which could indicate a memory problem. Speaking of memory: I only have 32MB SDRAM. If an arcade needs more (which I think some CPS2 arcade do) will I be able to know by popup/corrupted graphics or would I be aware of it if I was far enough in the game (which I cannot)?
In conclusion: it is a good system for patrons and it is good that the beta downloads are disabled by default.
wodmarach

Unread post by wodmarach »

jca wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:56 pm First impressions:
Disappointed by the nagging/advert popup: it should at least time out so we can enjoy the little there is to see.
The system seems to start only for SYSTEM16, no CPS2. How will it go for new patrons? Will they have to use the old method, will they be excluded because they became a patron too late or simply priority was given to SYSTEM16 and CPS2 will come later?
The CPS2 cores should go public soon as the beta currently is apparently the final beta.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

jca wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:56 pm First impressions:
The organizer script seems to have some trouble: no SYSTEM16 in Manufacturer -> Sega.
Only + (this is the smallest + sign available on my KB): you can check that the core loads properly on your MISTer and that the graphics are not corrupted which could indicate a memory problem. Speaking of memory: I only have 32MB SDRAM. If an arcade needs more (which I think some CPS2 arcade do) will I be able to know by popup/corrupted graphics or would I be aware of it if I was far enough in the game (which I cannot)?
In conclusion: it is a good system for patrons and it is good that the beta downloads are disabled by default.
When you become a patron you get access to all previous posts too you know. They have the same access to files as old patrons so no one is excluded.
If you become a patron now you can just download the cps2 core no problem
atrac17
Core Developer

Unread post by atrac17 »

aberu wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:08 pm So DRM has come to MiSTer? Kinda ironic. :P

Like it's a good thing to make it a little easier on patrons, it's a little over the top to call it ingenious imo, since having keys to use software has been around since the earliest days of software :P
It is, it made life so much easier. I didn't see 1k+ people who can't copy files to a directory complaining. Nor complaining that there ROM files were not fetched. Again, this isn't the official MiSTer_Updater script. DRM or not, it's not a big deal. Also, I'm the voice that suggested it be set to off. Not you. Stop acting like you're the hero birdybro.

Also, it's a box you play illegal roms on. Let's talk about laws and licensing everybody. JFC.
suverman

Unread post by suverman »

But to those of us who were paying attention and providing this feedback, the evidence is clear as day that the original plan was to automatically start pushing out what is essentially adware to users that were completely unaware of the situation.
That's no evidence at all. This was a new process and things were not all sussed out properly. There are plenty of people including directors (which I am not) who had discussions in the privates channels which you are not privy to. Using lies to prove your point wont get you anywhere in the long run.
dawshan

Unread post by dawshan »

Does anyone know why progress of the CPS 2 core halted after the "final beta" and focus shifted to System 16 core?
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

They want to make you wait another 3 months
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

The last bugs are possibly CPU related and has Jotego stumped. The bugs that are left are significant enough to make things feel buggy. He let his patreon supporters choose whether to release the core now or wait for it to be polished up more and we chose to wait.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

atrac17 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:20 am
aberu wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:08 pm So DRM has come to MiSTer? Kinda ironic. :P

Like it's a good thing to make it a little easier on patrons, it's a little over the top to call it ingenious imo, since having keys to use software has been around since the earliest days of software :P
It is, it made life so much easier. I didn't see 1k+ people who can't copy files to a directory complaining. Nor complaining that there ROM files were not fetched. Again, this isn't the official MiSTer_Updater script. DRM or not, it's not a big deal. Also, I'm the voice that suggested it be set to off. Not you. Stop acting like you're the hero birdybro.

Also, it's a box you play illegal roms on. Let's talk about laws and licensing everybody. JFC.
You aren't "the voice", and neither was I. There were loads of people on twitter responding to Jotego in JTFPGA patrons channel, on the MiSTer FPGA discord, on twitter, etc... Well before you said anything publicly and well before Jotego said he was going to ask theypsilon to have it changed from opt-out to opt-in. I stated that I and lots of other people pushed back, I didn't say that I was some hero.

I don't disagree that it has made life easier, I literally said the same thing in the post you quoted. There are other posts, tweest, and chat messages of mine you obviously have ignored where I defend the decision from that perspective because it's an unnecessary load of tickets. My main problem with it was that it was originally opt-out. I still don't like the aesthetics of what looks like early 2000's shareware overlays on the MiSTer that promote people to pay into his patreon for access to the software. Paying for emulators, despite it being something I already effectively do in some way with a long list of core devs I support, is still something I feel weird about.

You also didn't respond to my main point where I pointed out that it's a bit of an exaggeration to call key license files "ingenious" in 2021. If you are offended, it's only because I had a sensible reaction to your dramaticization of a fairly mundane detail of a good solution to a real problem.

I also don't think I've talked about licensing or laws in any strong way on this at all. Jotego also said he would remove the GPL from all his work over time to address these concerns, and that's awesome, yet another win in the marketplace of ideas where a developer listens to feedback from their users. I'm glad Jotego has a more mature public attitude than you do toward feedback.

tldr; I've been consistent. It aesthetically rubs me the wrong way, I think it makes sense, opt-out was bad, people pushed back en masse, changing it to opt-in was awesome and I'm glad all of our feedback (including yours) was listened to. Revisionism of the timeline of events is unnecessary because a developer listening to their users' feedback is a GOOD thing. IDGAF about laws and licensing honestly.
suverman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:39 am

That's no evidence at all. This was a new process and things were not all sussed out properly. There are plenty of people including directors (which I am not) who had discussions in the privates channels which you are not privy to. Using lies to prove your point wont get you anywhere in the long run.
See said evidence here with timestamps --> viewtopic.php?p=27801#p27801
birdybro~