CPS2 "Load X. ROM"

Captain FPGA

CPS2 "Load X. ROM"

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Doesn't this option normally allow you to enter the root of whatever core was activated in your games folder? Mine just takes me to an empty folder. Is there something I need to adjust in the config or Mister ini?
Dreams don't die!
jca
Top Contributor

Re: CPS2 "Load X. ROM"

Unread post by jca »

You should give a little more information: this is a beta core, accessible only to patrons and the distribution having being changed recently.
Did you use the update all script?
With mame and hbmame getters enabled?
Do you have the mra in _Arcade and the core in _Arcade/cores?
Do you have the zip in games/mame or games/hbmame?
Morfious

Unread post by Morfious »

I am not OP, but can add to the discussion. I have updated the update all script as directed and it is working as expected. The beta core for the update all script is only the Sega System 16 core at the moment. The CPS2 beta is/was distributed the old way.

My setup is with the default options (_Arcade folder, games/mame folder etc)

hitting the load x.rom does not give me a list of games or options as expected. I realize this is a beta core and still has some issues. Just trying to add to the discussion.. Ohh, and Jotego is amazing.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

If you loaded via an MRA file, it's probably trying to use the 'setname' as the base directory, which likely doesn't exist.

I'm not sure why you'd use that menu entry; you should be loading games via MRA files. Unless for some reason you hand-assembled rom files with all the proper interleaving etc?
Captain FPGA

jca wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:23 pm You should give a little more information: this is a beta core, accessible only to patrons and the distribution having being changed recently.
Did you use the update all script?
With mame and hbmame getters enabled?
Do you have the mra in _Arcade and the core in _Arcade/cores?
Do you have the zip in games/mame or games/hbmame?
I'm Jotego a patron.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I have everything in the correct folder. I use update all with the mame stuff enabled all of the time, just ran the script it yesterday
Morfious wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:58 pm I am not OP, but can add to the discussion. I have updated the update all script as directed and it is working as expected. The beta core for the update all script is only the Sega System 16 core at the moment. The CPS2 beta is/was distributed the old way.

My setup is with the default options (_Arcade folder, games/mame folder etc)

hitting the load x.rom does not give me a list of games or options as expected. I realize this is a beta core and still has some issues. Just trying to add to the discussion.. Ohh, and Jotego is amazing.
Ah, so there was nothing in there after all. For a sec I was going crazy and thought that option directed me to more immediate folders to run roms/mras like the other cores did. So basically the option is turned off for now because the core is still in it's infancy?

I will say this for some reason I remember using the option to load roms pre a few days ago. I could be misremembring.
zakk4223 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:16 pm If you loaded via an MRA file, it's probably trying to use the 'setname' as the base directory, which likely doesn't exist.

I'm not sure why you'd use that menu entry; you should be loading games via MRA files. Unless for some reason you hand-assembled rom files with all the proper interleaving etc?
Huh? Don't get me wrong I learned a decent amount about the Mister since joining the community but some things still throw me off. Are you asking why am I using the Load X Rom option when I should be rebooting to menu then loading these MRAS or using the second OSD menu "Cores" to load them from there? I'm a little confused by your question.

I hand assembled the core, only to specifications of Jotego's instruction which came with the zip file. Everything else was handled via update all.

Come to think of it it's not just Jotego's core that does this. I believe when I tried to load a regular Arcade core from the menu it gave me an empty folder. I recall something I hit by accident, before this empty folder stuff happened I accidentally hit CONFIG under IP address menu and remember entering cores and exploring that load rom option a lot in the Arcade core only to find nothing. I can still load the Arcade games from other menus just wondering if I screwed something up, removed a potential option because if I did that's something I'll wanna fix!

Yes it shows the rom set name when hitting said "load" option. For instance Hyper Street Fighter 'II will just say error failed to find HSF2 or whatever the fuck it says.

EDIT: Slight correction, when I mentioned other ARCADE cores had a load feature within menu I was wrong. I confused that with CONSOLE cores, most console core have a load menu. Jotego's one of the few cores which mimics the one console setting. I realized this after checking the Super Pac Man and Tetris cores and found out there was no load rom function.

Can someone confirm once and for all that his cores "load rom" doesn't work at the moment? I'd like to be certain I didn't screw something up in the config file.
Dreams don't die!
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

You didn't screw anything up. That option is likely there for his debugging purposes. You should be loading arcade games via MRA files. The 'rom load' option would only be relevant if you specifically created a rom file by extracting mame roms and recombining them into a single file. Since you just used update_all you didn't do that, so it's not relevant.
Captain FPGA

zakk4223 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:51 pm You didn't screw anything up. That option is likely there for his debugging purposes. You should be loading arcade games via MRA files. The 'rom load' option would only be relevant if you specifically created a rom file by extracting mame roms and recombining them into a single file. Since you just used update_all you didn't do that, so it's not relevant.
Thanks for clearing that up! It gave me peace of mind.
Dreams don't die!