Update all script and Jotego cores

jca
Top Contributor

Update all script and Jotego cores

Unread post by jca »

It looks like we will have to enable the beta sub-menu to get the updates on his public cores:
https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1405814142833995778
pbsk8

Re: Update all script and Jotego cores

Unread post by pbsk8 »

how to access and change settings for update all script?
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

With JTSTABLE having an update cadence of 'a few times a year', almost everyone is going to activate the beta setting in update_all to get current bugfixes for public cores. So the patreon-only content is technically opt-in, but in practice almost everyone will.

At this point if you're really adamant about not getting patreon-only cores someone is likely just going to have to fork jtbin and maintain a branch that has all the patreon-only content removed.
mr_mr_mr

Unread post by mr_mr_mr »

I recall that Update all settings can be accessed by pressing up once just after launch update all script. There is a text telling that as well on the screen. Looking JTSTABLE release history, I see that CPS 1.5 core has been updated 14 days ago (with cheat support). I know the CPS 2.0 has been long in Patreon only beta and Sega 16 just started as Patreon only, but I think nothing has fundamentally changed other than possibility for Patreon supporters to download betas using Update All and opt-in as well for non-Patreon supporters for non-working/demo beta cores as well.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Jotego says:
There will be changes to public cores in JTBIN today.
The update_all script will pull files from JTBIN if the beta option is enabled. Otherwise, it will only use JTSTABLE.

It means if you want the updates to these public cores you will have to enable beta.
mr_mr_mr

Unread post by mr_mr_mr »

yes, you are correct, I misunderstood how it will be handled
AtomicShroom

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

This getting way confusing. So, the update_all script that comes bundled by default with the MiSTer setup image, will it one day pull the jotego cores once they become public or does it absolutely need to be modified in some way for that to ever happen?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I just checked as Jotego pushed the updates:
I ran the update all script twice.
First with beta disabled I got some jt updates.
Second with beta enabled I got more jt updates for public cores but, you guessed it, I got a tone of updates for the beta cores CPS2 ans SYS16.
People will get pissed with this system
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

jca wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:31 pm I just checked as Jotego pushed the updates:
I ran the update all script twice.
First with beta disabled I got some jt updates.
Second with beta enabled I got more jt updates for public cores but, you guessed it, I got a tone of updates for the beta cores CPS2 ans SYS16.
People will get pissed with this system

If they don't like it, they shouldn't use this script, nobody forces them to do so. They can manually update if they like.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

AtomicShroom wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:58 pm This getting way confusing. So, the update_all script that comes bundled by default with the MiSTer setup image, will it one day pull the jotego cores once they become public or does it absolutely need to be modified in some way for that to ever happen?
It can be confusing and it is becoming madness:
As of today JT cores are distributed via the update_all script (if enabled). This can be distributed via 2 directories:
jtbin which is what I will cal his working directory which includes new updates to his public cores and all his beta cores.
JTSTABLE which contains his public cores considered stable but which will be updated only a few times a year. I think stable is a misnomer: his current works goes into jtbin which makes things easier for his patrons and he puts public cores in JTSTABLE only once in a while to make his life easier.
For us non patrons it becomes a kind of nightmare:
If you disable beta you only get cores from JTSTABLE but you will miss public cores which are in jtbin.
If you enable beta you get what is in JTSTABLE plus everything which is in jtbin which includes more public cores plus all the beta stuff which is not of much use if you are not a patron.
Note: when I say core it means cores+mras.

For example today was JT update day.
I first ran the script with beta disabled and got some jt updates (public cores).
Next I ran with beta enabled and I got more jt public cores updates (may be more than the first run) but I also got a tone of beta stuff (CPS2 and SYS16) and when I say a tone the thing is massive. You add the zips from mame and hbmame getters and it is a lot of stuff which is "unusable" for a non patron. I do not care that much because I use a USB HDD.
If you do not want the beta you will miss on some public core updates until he updates JTSTABLE or you will have to go on his Github in jtbin directory, check which public cores have updates and download the stuff manually. That's fun and called retro-update from the times before update all script.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Don't get me wrong, I seem to be ranting but I think Jotego does an admirable job with all his arcade cores and if he makes his life and the life of his patrons easier so be it. I am more thinking of MISTer users who are noobs or not at ease with Linux, Github and how the updates of Jotego works. Also not to forget those using only SD cards.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

jca wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:19 pm Don't get me wrong, I seem to be ranting but I think Jotego does an admirable job with all his arcade cores and if he makes his life and the life of his patrons easier so be it. I am more thinking of MISTer users who are noobs or not at ease with Linux, Github and how the updates of Jotego works. Also not to forget those using only SD cards.
We are talking about trivial tasks that everybody should be able to learn within 15 minutes. We are talking about downloading rbf and mra files and copying them to an SD Card.
You don't have to know anything about Linux to do this. Github is a website that is self explanatory and if you don't know how Jotego cores work, just stick with the stable releases, it means that the not stable cores aren't meant for you anyway.

Besides, if people aren't willing to do the updates manually, they are free to ignore the beta cores on their system. It is not that these cores are breaking anything.
Obtuseflotsam

Unread post by Obtuseflotsam »

Hey so I have beta.zip issue. If this isn't the correct thread please link me to the correct one.

I've had lots of troubles getting consistent updates through update_all for beta CPS2 games to even work. Now with beta.zip, I finally got them working great, but I get the overlay warning, despite having beta.zip in numerous directories. I have it in games/mame (I never really touch this directory). I have it in _Arcade, I also put it in _Arcade/CPS-2. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Do I need to unzip the folder and put beta.bin in there also?

Any help for this noob is appreciated.
AtomicShroom

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

jca wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:00 pm
AtomicShroom wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:58 pm This getting way confusing. So, the update_all script that comes bundled by default with the MiSTer setup image, will it one day pull the jotego cores once they become public or does it absolutely need to be modified in some way for that to ever happen?
It can be confusing and it is becoming madness:
As of today JT cores are distributed via the update_all script (if enabled). This can be distributed via 2 directories:
jtbin which is what I will cal his working directory which includes new updates to his public cores and all his beta cores.
JTSTABLE which contains his public cores considered stable but which will be updated only a few times a year. I think stable is a misnomer: his current works goes into jtbin which makes things easier for his patrons and he puts public cores in JTSTABLE only once in a while to make his life easier.
For us non patrons it becomes a kind of nightmare:
If you disable beta you only get cores from JTSTABLE but you will miss public cores which are in jtbin.
If you enable beta you get what is in JTSTABLE plus everything which is in jtbin which includes more public cores plus all the beta stuff which is not of much use if you are not a patron.
Note: when I say core it means cores+mras.

For example today was JT update day.
I first ran the script with beta disabled and got some jt updates (public cores).
Next I ran with beta enabled and I got more jt public cores updates (may be more than the first run) but I also got a tone of beta stuff (CPS2 and SYS16) and when I say a tone the thing is massive. You add the zips from mame and hbmame getters and it is a lot of stuff which is "unusable" for a non patron. I do not care that much because I use a USB HDD.
If you do not want the beta you will miss on some public core updates until he updates JTSTABLE or you will have to go on his Github in jtbin directory, check which public cores have updates and download the stuff manually. That's fun and called retro-update from the times before update all script.
Okay so if I stick to default update_all, I will end up getting the public cores from jotego, except it will just take longer. Am I getting this right?
jdsilva

Unread post by jdsilva »

Update_all.sh does not come bundled and is not the official update script. Update.sh is the bundled, default update script.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

As of today you will get all public cores but you will miss a few updates on some of these cores. I think they are minor and won't prevent you from enjoying the cores.
pedroTFP

Unread post by pedroTFP »

I set up beta cores, and from SD everything worked fine.
Then I copied everything to USB external drive and used USB version of "update_all".
Now I have: /media/fat/_Arcade and /media/usb0/_Arcade

Games still work fine, but the "_Organized" folder is on USB drive and not on SD and I can't see it from Mister Menu. I have to manually navigate the menu to get there and when I enter the subfolders, they're all empty and there is no game to launch.
In addition, if I delete an arcade MRA from SD it is no more available in the MiSTer menu, even if it should be, because it is still present on USB.
But for console cores, for example, ROMS are on USB and I can see them just fine.

So, what I would want is that when I launch "update_all" it updates BOTH SD and USB like "mirrors".
How can I do that?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You should have copied only the games directory to the USB drive.
What file system do you use on the USB drive?
If you just want to have a functional MISTer and do not need to duplicate things this is what I would do:
Check That you have everything you need in usb0/games, eventually copy things from fat/games.
On the usb drive delete every directory except the games directory. On the SD card delete the directory games or at least its contents.
First run the regular update script, not update all and see how things look like. If it look right run the update all script.
pedroTFP

Unread post by pedroTFP »

jca wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:57 pm You should have copied only the games directory to the USB drive.
What file system do you use on the USB drive?...
That was my initial setup (with USB on EXFAT), but then I used the USB version of "update_all" and it messed stuff.
I guess I'll delete everything on USB except for "Games", run "update" and then the SD version of "update_all".
Would that be ok?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

The usb version of update all script is for when you have "everything" on the usb drive (by using "Switch to USB" in the OSD).
Since I have my MISTer I tried many different things: everything on SD card, games on USB and now Switched to USB, ext4, ntfs and exFAT.
I have been using "Switch to USB" for quite some time and one thing I do not remember is when you have only games on USB if you need a special update.ini file.
May be someone else can pitch in.
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

pedroTFP wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:24 pm I set up beta cores, and from SD everything worked fine.
Then I copied everything to USB external drive and used USB version of "update_all".
Now I have: /media/fat/_Arcade and /media/usb0/_Arcade

Games still work fine, but the "_Organized" folder is on USB drive and not on SD and I can't see it from Mister Menu. I have to manually navigate the menu to get there and when I enter the subfolders, they're all empty and there is no game to launch.
In addition, if I delete an arcade MRA from SD it is no more available in the MiSTer menu, even if it should be, because it is still present on USB.
But for console cores, for example, ROMS are on USB and I can see them just fine.

So, what I would want is that when I launch "update_all" it updates BOTH SD and USB like "mirrors".
How can I do that?
Had the exact same problem.

Try unplugging your Wifi dongle/adapter. Reboot and try the rom again.
Dreams don't die!
Spark_Tek

Unread post by Spark_Tek »

So is there any way to separate Jotego's Closed Beta out and just get the Public Beta?

Currently I have to start a game to find out if it's something I can play or just a preview video. That's lame.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Spark_Tek wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:11 am So is there any way to separate Jotego's Closed Beta out and just get the Public Beta?

Currently I have to start a game to find out if it's something I can play or just a preview video. That's lame.
Nothing builtin to the update scripts last I checked.

It is not just new cores that would be missed by not enabling the beta option in the script, there are updates to other cores (cps1, cps15, sf, etc.) that are only going to "jtbin" (beta) and not "jtstable" yet.