Is anyone working on Snow Bros. by Toaplan (or would fit any of the current cores?)

luishg

Is anyone working on Snow Bros. by Toaplan (or would fit any of the current cores?)

Unread post by luishg »

It looks like quite common hardware, but Toaplan had their unique arcade system so I don't know if this rom could work (with some minor modifications) on any of the current -or under development - cores.

CPU 68000 (@ 8 MHz )
Sound:
Z80 (@ 6 MHz),
YM3812 (@ 3 MHz)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Bros.

It was a popular arcade in Spain, would be really cool to have it on MiSTer.
nullobject
Core Developer

Re: Is anyone working on Snow Bros. by Toaplan (or would fit any of the current cores?)

Unread post by nullobject »

Looks like a neat little game 8-)
MiSTer core developer: Rygar, Gemini Wing, Silkworm, CAVE
Support me on Patreon
ExCyber

Re: Is anyone working on Snow Bros. by Toaplan (or would fit any of the current cores?)

Unread post by ExCyber »

There's a note in the MAME driver that says "uses Kaneko's Pandora sprite chip (also used in DJ Boy, Air Buster ..)", so it looks like there's at least some significant overlap with the related Kaneko boards.

In the meantime, you might find Nightmare in the Dark on Neo Geo interesting.
CaptainWolf

Unread post by CaptainWolf »

I was just wondering this as well, the game is one of Toaplan's best non shooter games, it was also really popular in Mexico.
Hopefully someone can bring it to the Mister.

In the meanwhile you can try out the Megadrive port, it's really close to the arcade and it has extra stages.
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

Well, I would love a "Wardner no mori", my favourite non-shooter Toaplan game =)
nullobject
Core Developer

Unread post by nullobject »

Beeble wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:28 am Well, I would love a "Wardner no mori", my favourite non-shooter Toaplan game =)
Me too, I love that game.

Unfortunately it looks like there aren't any other games which run on that arcade hardware, so it's not good bang-for-buck in terms of development effort. But for classic games it's worth it :D
MiSTer core developer: Rygar, Gemini Wing, Silkworm, CAVE
Support me on Patreon
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

I never stop learning, thank you. Thought it might be a more common arcade pcb to replicate. Well, I keep on dreaming, since the Sega MegaDrive Port is a bit to far off for my taste,
CaptainWolf

Unread post by CaptainWolf »

Played the Megadrive version today and yeah, it's similar to the arcade but just not the same.

Here's to wishing that someone could bring it over to Mister, it is TOAPLAN after all!