CPS2 - SF Alpha 3 (EURO) - Codes / Dramatic Battle Not Working

kfreiberg

CPS2 - SF Alpha 3 (EURO) - Codes / Dramatic Battle Not Working

Unread post by kfreiberg »

Hi All,

I checked Jotego's github and didn't see this as a current or previous issue, so before I post in there, I'd like to make sure I am not the only one with this problem.

In the CPS2 cores of Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Street Fighter Alpha 3 (both are EURO region roms, not the JAP SFZ2 version) the codes to unlock features such as (SFA2 - Dramatic Battle) and (SFA3 - Several features with background changes) do not work.

For SFA2, you're just supposed to hold down all three kick buttons when starting and it's supposed to unlock Dramatic Battle. This DOES work with the SFZ2 JAP version, but not the SFA2 EURO version.

For SFA3, you're supposed to be able to unlock the different background colors, which are supposed to correlate to how long the arcade machine has been running, each color allows different unlockables (more playable characters, dramatic battle, etc.) These codes are different for each level you unlock, but the codes are not working for any of the unlockables for me.

Here's a link to all the codes in case anyone would like to try:
SFA2:
https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/L ... er_Alpha_2

SFA3
https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/L ... des#Arcade

I love the Dramatic Battle mode in all 3 of the SFA games and would really like to get this working.

Anyone else have this problem?
bdlou

Re: CPS2 - SF Alpha 2+3 (EURO) - Codes Not Working

Unread post by bdlou »

Every search I've done points to Dramatic Battle only being for SFZ2A, not SFA2 or SFZ2.
kfreiberg

bdlou wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:32 pm Every search I've done points to Dramatic Battle only being for SFZ2A, not SFA2 or SFZ2.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Though I am confused. What is SFZ2A?

As far as I'm aware Street Fighter Alpha 2 is Street Fighter Zero 2 in Japan/Asia and Street Fighter Alpha 3 is Street Fighter Zero 3 in Japan/Asia.

I've played Dramatic Battle on all 3 versions of SFA previously on the 30th anniversary collection, which I have read are arcade perfect roms.

Please let me know if I'm missing something or ignorant of the subject.

Thank you!
TLPD-AVW

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

kfreiberg wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:14 pm Though I am confused. What is SFZ2A?

As far as I'm aware Street Fighter Alpha 2 is Street Fighter Zero 2 in Japan/Asia and Street Fighter Alpha 3 is Street Fighter Zero 3 in Japan/Asia.
You are right, Street Fighter Alpha series is known as Street Fighter Zero in Japan and Asia. Confusingly there was a special version of SFZ2 in Japan/Asia region only known as Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha. It had unique extra features not present in regular Zero 2/Alpha 2 versions.
kfreiberg

bdlou wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:32 pm Every search I've done points to Dramatic Battle only being for SFZ2A, not SFA2 or SFZ2.
TLPD-AVW wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:18 pm You are right, Street Fighter Alpha series is known as Street Fighter Zero in Japan and Asia. Confusingly there was a special version of SFZ2 in Japan/Asia region only known as Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha. It had unique extra features not present in regular Zero 2/Alpha 2 versions.
OMG, I'm an effing idiot. I didn't know there were 3 versions of SFA2. I was playing SFZA2 and that works as intended.

So that was never a real issue.

However, for the life of me, I cannot get Dramatic Battle to work on the EURO version of SFA3 that Jotego released.

I seem to be able to enter all of the codes through the Test Screen to get the various messages about the unlocks. However the title screen doesn't change colors and holding all 3 kick buttons does not enable Dramatic Battle.

Has anyone been able to get this to work and I'm just doing something wrong? Or is there truly a fault with the core?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
pcfreak324

Re: CPS2 - SF Alpha 3 (EURO) - Codes / Dramatic Battle Not Working

Unread post by pcfreak324 »

You could try the mra file for Street Fighter Alpha 3 Challengers Edition (USA 210408) where everything is already unlocked.
kfreiberg

pcfreak324 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:22 pm You could try the mra file for Street Fighter Alpha 3 Challengers Edition (USA 210408) where everything is already unlocked.
Hey thanks!

I didn't know this version existed for the MiSTer. I tried googling info on it and only found one tweet that mentioned there was a readme file on how to use this version for unlocks. But I couldn't find this readme or anything else.

From my experience nothing was unlocked with the bare rom, however, I was able to enter all of the codes via the test menu as before with the EURO version. The special features didn't work at first, but after a few resets and reboots of the MiSTer, everything eventually worked. I am not sure why these are so quirky, but I now have it working perfectly.

Thanks much!
atrac17
Core Developer

Unread post by atrac17 »

kfreiberg wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:11 am
pcfreak324 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:22 pm You could try the mra file for Street Fighter Alpha 3 Challengers Edition (USA 210408) where everything is already unlocked.
Hey thanks!

I didn't know this version existed for the MiSTer. I tried googling info on it and only found one tweet that mentioned there was a readme file on how to use this version for unlocks. But I couldn't find this readme or anything else.

From my experience nothing was unlocked with the bare rom, however, I was able to enter all of the codes via the test menu as before with the EURO version. The special features didn't work at first, but after a few resets and reboots of the MiSTer, everything eventually worked. I am not sure why these are so quirky, but I now have it working perfectly.

Thanks much!
atrac.zip
Unlocked .nvm files for Euro/Japan 980904
(519 Bytes) Downloaded 146 times
Also, there are several unlocked mra's for cps2 that can be found here https://github.com/atrac17/Arcade_Offset
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

atrac17 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:39 pm
Hey thanks!

Thanks much!
atrac.zip

Also, there are several unlocked mra's for cps2 that can be found here https://github.com/atrac17/Arcade_Offset
I placed those nvm files in my save folder. Loaded up the corresponding rom. Nothing new happened, were these supposed to do something?

Thanks to Arcade Offsets I got the Challenger Edition working.

Btw does that version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 have Guile and Evil Ryu? If not then is it a console PSP exclusive or was it also put on the Naomi board?
Dreams don't die!
atrac17
Core Developer

Unread post by atrac17 »

Captain FPGA wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:01 am

Hey thanks!

Thanks much!
atrac.zip

I placed those nvm files in my save folder. Loaded up the corresponding rom. Nothing new happened, were these supposed to do something?

Btw does that version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 have Guile and Evil Ryu? If not then is it a console PSP exclusive or was it also put on the Naomi board?
The NVM files enable you to enter codes. The game has to be one for a long ass time otherwise. Title screen changes depending upon code/time. Google will help explain.
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

atrac17 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:21 pm
Captain FPGA wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:01 am

atrac.zip

The NVM files enable you to enter codes. The game has to be one for a long ass time otherwise. Title screen changes depending upon code/time. Google will help explain.
Thanks.
Dreams don't die!