CPS2 1080p 5x vertical crop

Koolhass

CPS2 1080p 5x vertical crop

Unread post by Koolhass »

Hello friends

It's possible to configure CPS2 core to display 5x vertical cropped video in 1080p like the console cores?
Insert Disk Two

Re: CPS2 1080p 5x vertical crop

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

No. Reason is that in many games vital info like energy bar etc, is displayed near the very edge so if vertical cropping is used this gets cut off.
Koolhass

Unread post by Koolhass »

Insert Disk Two wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:19 pm No. Reason is that in many games vital info like energy bar etc, is displayed near the very edge so if vertical cropping is used this gets cut off.
But it's technically impossible? I already play CPS2 games using VGA output through a OSSC to my 4k TV with 1920 x 1080 5x with vertical crop, the games look very good and the image portion lost is not important.:

I just want to do it with the digital output.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Yeah I think 5x would be workable on most games with individual vertical adjustment. The individual part being easy since each game is a separate arcade core.
Insert Disk Two

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

Well technically it is not impossible but Jotego has to add the option first. When I asked him about it some time ago he said he wasn't interested though.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Insert Disk Two wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:19 pm No. Reason is that in many games vital info like energy bar etc, is displayed near the very edge so if vertical cropping is used this gets cut off.
It could still be enabled, but Jotego's cores are designed to be developed for multiple platforms, not just MiSTer and I suspect this is a contributing factor in why 5x isn't added as a feature in his core. It would just add complexity to how he develops his cores, and would probably be a bit of a headache as a result. If he were making cores only for MiSTer it would probably make things significantly easier.
birdybro~
pva

Unread post by pva »

FWIW, the CPS2 digital AV interface board for real hardware also offers a 5x mode (in previous firmware versions it was the only one available), and combined with the ability to vertically shift the image either up or down, I've found it a perfectly workable solution.

Image source
aberu wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:57 pm It could still be enabled, but Jotego's cores are designed to be developed for multiple platforms, not just MiSTer and I suspect this is a contributing factor in why 5x isn't added as a feature in his core. It would just add complexity to how he develops his cores, and would probably be a bit of a headache as a result. If he were making cores only for MiSTer it would probably make things significantly easier.
Based on this GitHub issue, I believe he'll be taking a look at 5x crop scaling at some point.