Taito Spinner Support - Arkanoid

98pacecar

Taito Spinner Support - Arkanoid

Unread post by 98pacecar »

I've been tinkering with an original Taito spinner I have left over from when I owned an Arkanoid, trying to make it work with the Mister. Running the Mr. Spinner firmware on an Arduino Pro Micro, I don't seem to get any activity from the spinner in Arkanoid, Tron, or the InputTest. In Arkanoid, I have set it to spinner mode, but no change.

I've verified that the spinner does seem to still work. The optical PCB is one of the style that didn't have factory pull down resistors, so I've tried with and without the factory spec (150 ohm) based on the Arkanoid manual.

I feel like I'm missing something simple, but not sure where to look.
98pacecar

Re: Taito Spinner Support - Arkanoid

Spent some more time on this, but still no luck. I am in the process of swapping out the Arduino as it was acting a little flaky when I was testing the pins, so I want to eliminate that.

But in the meantime, I picked up one of these USB spinners with the hopes that it would work but out of the box, it didn't.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/624 ... sb-spinner

I'm in the process of running update_all right now, but it's no more than 2 weeks since I've last done it so I don't anticipate anything being fixed.
98pacecar

Re: Taito Spinner Support - Arkanoid

Tested with a new Arduino. No change at all, still using the PaddleTwoControllersUSB firmware. Completely unresponsive in Arkanoid and input test.

Tested the Atari USB spinner under windows. Works great, shows up as a HID mouse. VID:PID = 32BE:1420. Added the Atari spinner vid and pid to the mister.ini to treat the mouse as a spinner as well as FFFF:FFFF. Still unresponsive in Arkanoid.

Tested Arkanoid with a standard, 2 button mouse. Works perfectly.