Iron Horse

lamarax
Top Contributor

Iron Horse

Unread post by lamarax »

First, kudos to @Ace for yet another awesome release!

I so much dig the BGM in this game; reminds me of the great Ennio Morricone (I guess that was the intention of the composer* after all) :D
Something that stroke me as awkward is the aspect ratio; was it really like that? I mean it's quasi-square :mrgreen:

*EDIT: Google says the composer is David Whittaker, although I find that hard to believe for a Konami developed game.
EDIT2: Well he seems to be the composer for the C64 port. The original artist is lost to history :(
Ace
Core Developer

Re: Iron Horse

Unread post by Ace »

Believe it or not, yes. The aspect ratio is very narrow on this hardware, mostly as a result of the 6.144MHz pixel clock, which looks even narrower with games using the 005885 custom chip as the active area is not 256x224 like Gyruss, but rather 240x224. This is exactly how both Iron Horse and Jackal look like on a consumer-grade CRT and MiSTer looks the same way when I hook it up to one such display.
Arcade core dev. for MiSTer.
Complete: Arkanoid, Time Pilot '84, Iron Horse, Jackal, Jailbreak (collab with Blackwine), Scooter Shooter, Finalizer - Super Transformation
In progress: none
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Current cores in progress: none

No you don't. There's Toaplan waiting :mrgreen:

to explain myself; I believe Ace, Pierco and Blackwine are the most capable of developers. Their releases might only be of the 8bit Z80/6502 era, but they're impeccable in implementation
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Hmm, the alternative MRAs are not yet in the release branch. If you download them manually, you'll have to do the whole syncing dance I've described in the Gyruss thread.

Somebody nag @theypsilon please :mrgreen:
MysteryM10

Unread post by MysteryM10 »

Many thanks for this, I’d forgotten that his was the name of an arcade game that I used to watch a friend play. I will be putting in some serious time into this game. Cheers.