Sega System 1

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Sega System 1

Unread post by Alkadian »

Hi guys,

I have just downloaded the relevant .rbf and .mra files from the source below:

https://github.com/blackwine/Arcade-SEGASYS1_MiSTer

I was not aware of this 'parallel' SegaSystem1 core developed by Blackwine...well until today :)

Maybe I am missing the obvious but I can't play any of the games. I only get a sort of yellow pixelated screen and that's it.

All the ROMS are in /media/fat/_Arcade/mame.

Did someone else try and experience the same?

Thanks a lot!
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: Sega System 1

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Its works fine for me, I played ChopLifter without issues on a LG Oled via HDMI
Alkadian
Top Contributor

FPGA64 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:10 am Its works fine for me, I played ChopLifter without issues on a LG Oled via HDMI
Thanks for confirming. I will try to download the package again, maybe the files got corrupted. Could you please confirm that you are using this release:

Arcade-SEGASYS1_20210618.rbf

which I have renamed to SEGASYS1_20210618.rbf?

Thanks!
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Make sure you have deleted the old .mras pertaining to the original mrX core. These are also to be found inside the 'Unofficial' folder (which is on your SD if you had allowed the update_all script to download unofficial cores in the past).
Alkadian wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:22 am
FPGA64 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:10 am Its works fine for me, I played ChopLifter without issues on a LG Oled via HDMI
Thanks for confirming. I will try to download the package again, maybe the files got corrupted. Could you please confirm that you are using this release:

Arcade-SEGASYS1_20210618.rbf

which I have renamed to SEGASYS1_20210618.rbf?

Thanks!
No, you'll need the package found here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/dakko-chan-is-in-55618085
Alkadian
Top Contributor

lamarax wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:23 am No, you'll need the package found here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/dakko-chan-is-in-55618085
Fantastic thanks, that worked like a charm! :mrgreen:
JudgeDrokk

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

Alkadian wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:32 am
lamarax wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:23 am No, you'll need the package found here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/dakko-chan-is-in-55618085
Does "MAME getter" grab the correct ROMs for those MRAs? ta!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

JudgeDrokk wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:33 pm
Yes, it does!
JudgeDrokk

Alkadian wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:04 pm
JudgeDrokk wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:33 pm

Yes, it does!
Thanks! :D
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Alkadian wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:32 am Fantastic thanks, that worked like a charm! :mrgreen:
A word of warning though; if you have the new 'downloader' script enabled in update_all, the moment you run it, :poof: core vanishes :mrgreen:

So tuck that .zip in a safe spot till it finds its place inside the main repo ;)
Alkadian
Top Contributor

lamarax wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:26 pm
Alkadian wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:32 am Fantastic thanks, that worked like a charm! :mrgreen:
A word of warning though; if you have the new 'downloader' script enabled in update_all, the moment you run it, :poof: core vanishes :mrgreen:

So tuck that .zip in a safe spot till it finds its place inside the main repo ;)
Indeed, this is exactly what happened earlier! The package is now saved somewhere else ready to be installed again. :lol:

Thanks for pointing that out! :mrgreen:
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I am having some problems with this new core. I think I know the reason but I would like if someone could help.
After unzipping the new core I copied the core itself and the various mras in the right places.
I ran the update_all script with Main Updater disabled as I understand the new downloader will be used if the Main Updater is enabled. Is this correct?
Mame Getter and HBMane Getter did not get anything.
When trying the various mras some work, some give a black screen and some say that a file is missing in the ROM. I think it is due to the fact that I had the previous version installed and some ROMs were non merged but I also have too many mras (may be).
Is the list of mras in the new core an exhaustive list?
For example if I take 4-D Warriors (World, 315-5162).mra in the new core and look at the mras I have on my MISTer I find:
4D Warriors (315-5162).mra
4-D Warriors (World, 315-5162).mra
4-D Warriors.mra
They all refer to 4dwarrio.zip but only the new one has type="merged", the old ones have type="merged|nonmerged|split" so it is possible that the ROM I have is a nonmerged one which was fine with the old core but not with the new one.
I have the same kind of things with all the other mras.
So my question is: should I keep only the mras included in the new core and delete all the others? I will also delete all the zip relative to this core and let Mame Getter and HBMame Getter get the good ones.
Is this correct?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

jca wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:48 pm I am having some problems with this new core. I think I know the reason but I would like if someone could help.
After unzipping the new core I copied the core itself and the various mras in the right places.
I ran the update_all script with Main Updater disabled as I understand the new downloader will be used if the Main Updater is enabled. Is this correct?
Mame Getter and HBMane Getter did not get anything.
When trying the various mras some work, some give a black screen and some say that a file is missing in the ROM. I think it is due to the fact that I had the previous version installed and some ROMs were non merged but I also have too many mras (may be).
Is the list of mras in the new core an exhaustive list?
For example if I take 4-D Warriors (World, 315-5162).mra in the new core and look at the mras I have on my MISTer I find:
4-D Warriors.mra
They all refer to 4dwarrio.zip but only the new one has type="merged", the old ones have type="merged|nonmerged|split" so it is possible that the ROM I have is a nonmerged one which was fine with the old core but not with the new one.
I have the same kind of things with all the other mras.
So my question is: should I keep only the mras included in the new core and delete all the others? I will also delete all the zip relative to this core and let Mame Getter and HBMame Getter get the good ones.
Is this correct?
I will share with you what I have done.

Based on what @lamarax has advised, I have removed all the old .mra's, .rbf's and also all the previous roms from the Mame folder.

Then after installing the latest package, I have gone back to the Mister menu and I have temporarily disabled the Main Downloader option and then the Mame Getter has done his job by downloading the correct roms from 0229.

So for example, in place of:

4-D Warriors.mra

you should only have:

if that makes sense to you.

Hopefully the above will help!
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks, this is exactly what I was planning to do but wanted to check I was correct. I will also delete the mras in the alternative folder.
At some point in the future I will also delete all the mras and roms for all arcades as I think there still some old stuff remaining in my MISTer but it will have to wait:
When the new downloader came out I tried it right away and was surprised it downloaded a lot of stuff not downloaded by the old update script. I did not like it so much so I will wait until the downloader allows to choose what has to be downloaded. It also means I disabled the downloader from the update all script. As far as the update.sh goes I have no idea if it still uses the old update.sh or if it will use the downloader so I also won't use that one.
JudgeDrokk

Is the SegaSystem1 core by Blackwine downloaded by UpdateAll? Thanks!
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It is not yet in the official repo so you will only get the old version.
JudgeDrokk

jca wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:06 pm It is not yet in the official repo so you will only get the old version.
Thanks!
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You should also have a look at the previous posts as there is more to it.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It would be a good idea if this core was pushed into the official repo.
I do not use the new downloader so the rbf and mras do not disappear from my MISTer but as the mra names differ from the official ones I have extra mras which are useless.
Someone with a Twitter account should contact him in this regard.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

jca wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:01 pm It would be a good idea if this core was pushed into the official repo.
I do not use the new downloader so the rbf and mras do not disappear from my MISTer but as the mra names differ from the official ones I have extra mras which are useless.
Someone with a Twitter account should contact him in this regard.
All his other work has ended up in official repos. I can only assume this one is not there because he feels it is not ready yet.
Darkglobe1977

Unread post by Darkglobe1977 »

Any word on this being move to the official repo? I don't want to get the old version by running update all

thanks!
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

zakk4223 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 pm All his other work has ended up in official repos. I can only assume this one is not there because he feels it is not ready yet.
Even if feels that his core is not ready yet he should update the official repo. His core is dated 09/01 and the official is 06/18. If you use the new downloader when updating your system you will always end up with the 06/18 version.