Jotego Confirms CPS3 / PGM / Mortal Kombat

pbsk8

Re: Jotego Confirms CPS3 / PGM / Mortal Kombat

Unread post by pbsk8 »

all I know is that after all these sat, psx, cps 3, ngpc, x68k, etc are released

everybody should gather to make the n64 core!

:D
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

is that even still a possibility on the current fpga?
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

MostroW wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:16 pm is that even still a possibility on the current fpga?
For N64 maybe, maybe not. If the cpu is done on the arm side and they solve the current latency issues between the arm cpu and the fpga it could be.
And for the CPS3 I have no doubt! Jotego wouldn't tease us like that if he didn't think he could deliver.
There is a thread about hybrid emulation in the minimig forum on the site you can take a look at if you are interested. Pretty good stuff.

Currently it hasn't seen further development though.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

pbsk8 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:13 pmeverybody should gather to make the n64 core!
If THIS will ever happen, I'll immediately shorten my working life and begin retirement! 8-)
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Regarding N64, it's my favorite console, so I'd be more than happy to get it on MiSTer. Will it happen on MiSTer? Probably not. Most likely, it'll happen on a successor board. The good news is that there are already people currently working on porting MiSTer's framework to other FPGA platforms, and if this succeeds, porting MiSTer cores would be as simple as running a script. That may be an oversimplification, but that's what I heard.

There's a Xilinx board that people are considering as an alternative to MiSTer in the future. That's after we get the Saturn and PS1 cores. After that, the next cores that can work in FPGA, but not in MiSTer are the N64, DS and Sega Model 1-2 that I'm aware of. Wouldn't mind paying a heftier price to get N64 and all the MiSTer cores though on a successor. The amount of games you get for the price of MiSTer is 10,000X the ROI.
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

The main problem with the N64 is the 250Mhz memory bus. Only the DDR3 memory on the DE10-nano is fast enough to handle that, but because it's behind the HPS (Arm) side there's inbuilt latency that's a huge challenge to overcome. It's not impossible, but it's a more significant challenge than just about anything else that's ever been attempted, and there's a good chance that even the best effort would result in something less than a perfect recreation of the original hardware.
madmax

Unread post by madmax »

I m curious how Jotego will handle the weird refresh-rate of MK arcade board. it runs at around 54hz.
On a CRT monitor, its not an issue, they can handle it perfectly but with LCD monitors, until Freesync/G-Sync/VRR/Adaptive sync (so many names..lol) was a thing, you had to choose between stuttering vertical screen or squeeking turbo sub-zero by forcing "match monitor refresh rate" option...lol.
can MiSTer makes use of adaptive sync monitor and send something else than 50hz/60hz on the HDMI?
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

madmax wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:56 pm I m curious how Jotego will handle the weird refresh-rate of MK arcade board. it runs at around 54hz.
On a CRT monitor, its not an issue, they can handle it perfectly but with LCD monitors, until Freesync/G-Sync/VRR/Adaptive sync (so many names..lol) was a thing, you had to choose between stuttering vertical screen or squeeking turbo sub-zero by forcing "match monitor refresh rate" option...lol.
can MiSTer makes use of adaptive sync monitor and send something else than 50hz/60hz on the HDMI?
It's the case for a few arcade games that have odd refreshes, like Dodonpachi. So I expect that a 50hz, or 60hz mode should be possible.
The ipad screen I have can accept any refreshes from 48 to 62 natively, so that should be fine for me anyway :mrgreen:
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

madmax wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:56 pm can MiSTer makes use of adaptive sync monitor and send something else than 50hz/60hz on the HDMI?
The MiSTer has no concept of VRR, but if you can select the refresh rate manually in Windows, it should work fine with the MiSTer as well. The MiSTer is not restricted to 50/60hz.