literally speechless ... just wow
AtomicShroom

Re: Jotego Confirms CPS3 / PGM / Mortal Kombat

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

Insane! All hail Jotego!
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

Will this be the High impact / Smash TV Midway Y Unit or the MK / MK2 / NBA Jam Midway T unit hardware?
Fear is the mind killer!
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

That is presumably RetroRGB Bob's MK board, so might be able to figure it out if anyone knows which one he has/had, he mentions it a lot in various videos.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

...I wouldn't get too crazy.

Jotego has hinted at many things he can't possibly manage in the near or distant future all at the same time :)

Today he stated in his patreon, that he won't release anything for three weeks #JTFridays, until he has the Neo Geo Pocket done.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

neo geo pocket, that's a pretty hand held i once had.
MrSniffles

Unread post by MrSniffles »

lamarax wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 pm ...I wouldn't get too crazy.

Jotego has hinted at many things he can't possibly manage in the near or distant future all at the same time :)

Today he stated in his patreon, that he won't release anything for three weeks #JTFridays, until he has the Neo Geo Pocket done.
Yeah, I'm old enough to remember when he had an Outrun board turn up too.... :cry:
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

lamarax wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 pm ...I wouldn't get too crazy.

true, but i think the history of Jotego doing CPS1 and CPS2, it would be a natural progression to tackle CPS3 at some point.
and the amount of people who will ask about CPS3, now that he has a third strike board in hand, i would imagine this time next year we will have CPS3. im fine with waiting, and either PGM or CPS3 would be huge

Jotego is a living legend, and his work and expertise is setting a bar for what FPGA development can and should be.
every day the MiSTer is turning into a powerhouse. theres such an incredible amount of work from everyone involved that will live on for years

the people reading this understand how important FPGA is, but having these arcade boards and retro machines "cloned" for future gamers is something people will appreciate for decades

remax

Unread post by remax »

Really great news !
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

This is amazing news! As mentioned, he's doing the Neo Geo Pocket/Color first, before the end of the new year, plus he has to wrap up the Sega System 16.

Selfishly, my hope is that he tackles all the 90s Midway boards first, before going into CPS3. If you look at the list of Midway boards based on the T-Unit, there are some absolute classics (Mortal Kombat 1-3, Rampage World Tour, Terminator 2, Revolution X, NBA Jam/Hangtime, WWF Wrestlemania, etc.): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_T_Unit, and thankfully not that many games like Sega System 16. All these games would work on MiSTer except the V Unit. In fact, most of these boards use the same CPU. What I'm getting at is that Jotego could hopefully do all these Midway games first, and finish in 3-6 months, and then shift his focus to CPS 3 in mid-2022.

Plus, working on CPS3 right now would be a fool's errand, because it shares the same CPU as Saturn, so might as well wait until srg320 is finished with Saturn and use his code as a very strong base.
lsnderick

Unread post by lsnderick »

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:59 pm Plus, working on CPS3 right now would be a fool's errand, because it shares the same CPU as Saturn, so might as well wait until srg320 is finished with Saturn and use his code as a very strong base.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wikipedia states that there is an open source "cleanroom reimplemention" of the SH-2 CPU for FPGA's already done and complete using VHDL https://github.com/j-core.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

Remember though that Jotego has said on his Discord that CPS3 will require faster memory than what's available with the MiSTer. He's considering doing it for the Antonio Villena's ZXDOS+ which has a faster memory interface for DDR.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

yeah, i do remember him saying that (about developing CPS3 for ZXDOS)

im hopeful a dual ram setup could be a solution for CPS3 on the MiSTer, or some kind of hybrid solution to offload things.
but who knows :)
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for more RAM if it means FPGA Saturn/Playstation/CPS3.

I have a modded Xbox with CPS3 emulator however Red Earth on some stages runs slow af. There's a CPU mod for the Xbox to get it to run better but seems like a hassle. Now I do have the FBA emu frontend on PC and my rig runs Red Earth perfectly. However, this may sound strange I'd rather not use my PC for 2D fighters unless I'm playing on Steam or Fightcade. Prefer to use devices like consoles (Xbox) or the Mister for that. We'll see if the CPS3 core becomes a reality.
Dreams don't die!
caffeinekid

Unread post by caffeinekid »

I don't know about all the CPS3 hype but the thing I'm most excited about in this thread is the stuff he's working on right now - NG Pocket. We nearly have all the great handhelds when this one is out.
redsteakraw

So I got confirmation from Jotego that he intends to do both Y and T unit hardware for MK just don't know which one will be attempted first. So if you are a smash TV fan or NBA Jam fan there is much greatness ahead.
Fear is the mind killer!
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

caffeinekid wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:19 am I don't know about all the CPS3 hype...
Me neither....
KremlingKuthroat19

redsteakraw wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:18 pm So I got confirmation from Jotego that he intends to do both Y and T unit hardware for MK just don't know which one will be attempted first. So if you are a smash TV fan or NBA Jam fan there is much greatness ahead.
Thanks for that! That's awesome bc Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam are 2 of my favorite franchises.

Did Jotego say anything about the Wolf board? Since it uses the same CPU, it seems like a natural progression would be Y, T, and Wolf. X and Z are lower priority, and V Unit seems too powerful.

Would be great to get the MK Trilogy on MiSTer.
redsteakraw

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:31 pm Did Jotego say anything about the Wolf board? Since it uses the same CPU, it seems like a natural progression would be Y, T, and Wolf. X and Z are lower priority, and V Unit seems too powerful.
Did not say that but I assume that it may be a priority after CPS3 is finished MK1 boards seem to be a priority right now. It definitely would make adding that board a possibility if not by Jotego other MiSTer devs.
Fear is the mind killer!
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Duffygag wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:58 pm
caffeinekid wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:19 am I don't know about all the CPS3 hype...
Me neither....
It offers objectively one of the greatest Street Fighter games ever made and JoJo is really hot right now.

Not at all difficult to understand, this is a layup. Besides we never got a console port of Red Earth. Even if I grant you a game like that which requires a lot of resources and hoarse power isn't popular doesn't mean it did not establish it's cult following. CPS3 was a Capcom machine and Capcom are gold when it comes to Arcade Machines. I can't wait to see those big juicy 2D sprites and lush colors.
redsteakraw wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:18 pm So I got confirmation from Jotego that he intends to do both Y and T unit hardware for MK just don't know which one will be attempted first. So if you are a smash TV fan or NBA Jam fan there is much greatness ahead.
This doesn't mean Jotego is moving on from the Sega System Arcade hardware does it? I wish for him to hit System 32. I can wait for any potential CPS3 or MK if it means I get Spider-Man the Video Game Arcade!
Dreams don't die!
redsteakraw

Captain FPGA wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:44 pm This doesn't mean Jotego is moving on from the Sega System Arcade hardware does it? I wish for him to hit System 32. I can wait for any potential CPS3 or MK if it means I get Spider-Man the Video Game Arcade!
I don't know I just know about the 2 MK based boards and CPS3 as shown in this post. Super scaler would be great but I don't know of any one who has explicitly stated plans for that. Maybe who knows.
Fear is the mind killer!
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

I kinda wish that Jotego would revisit the X68000 first, but I'm not complaining. This is cool stuff.

As for the CPU, could he use srg320's code? I know the code hasn't been opened yet, but perhaps srg320 would be willing to share just the CPU code with Jotego? Other than that, CPS3 and Saturn seem like very different systems and there is no major reason to wait for one before working on the other.

The Sega ST-V of course is a different story.
madmax

Unread post by madmax »

Wow, CPS3 and MK. Very happy about that.
But, before starting on CPS3, I feel it would make more sense to finish the Sega Saturn core, since it uses also SH4 CPU ?
Taito F1 and Taito F2 core would be so great.
Anyway, Thank you Jotego and all people involved for all the hard work to keep running these old games like they should.
Seriously, I feel the misterfpga is a better gaming system than my Xbox Series X. :D
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

softtest9 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:59 am I kinda wish that Jotego would revisit the X68000 first, but I'm not complaining. This is cool stuff.

As for the CPU, could he use srg320's code? I know the code hasn't been opened yet, but perhaps srg320 would be willing to share just the CPU code with Jotego? Other than that, CPS3 and Saturn seem like very different systems and there is no major reason to wait for one before working on the other.

The Sega ST-V of course is a different story.
X68000 is already being worked on. I'm pretty sure work gets shared so things can be released faster. Makes no sense if two people work on the same thing.
KremlingKuthroat19

madmax wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:53 am Wow, CPS3 and MK. Very happy about that.
But, before starting on CPS3, I feel it would make more sense to finish the Sega Saturn core, since it uses also SH4 CPU ?
Exactly. Those are my thoughts too. It'd be a waste of time to start CPS3 before the Saturn core was completed since you can just use srg320's code.

Btw, Kitrinx is already working on the X68000 PC. She's also finishing up the 7800 core with 2600 support right now too. Both should come in short order.

The thing with all this debating is that my hope is that with the huge rise in popularity of MiSTer after the Saturn and PS1 cores are complete, hopefully more devs will come onboard. Jotego, Ace, nullobject, blackwine, and Furrtek seem to be the only ones consistently releasing arcade cores (sorry if I forgot some names). The point is that if we had more arcade core developers, then they could tackle these really popular boards at the same time.

Or we could just clone Jotego!
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

all I know is that after all these sat, psx, cps 3, ngpc, x68k, etc are released

everybody should gather to make the n64 core!

:D
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

is that even still a possibility on the current fpga?
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

MostroW wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:16 pm is that even still a possibility on the current fpga?
For N64 maybe, maybe not. If the cpu is done on the arm side and they solve the current latency issues between the arm cpu and the fpga it could be.
And for the CPS3 I have no doubt! Jotego wouldn't tease us like that if he didn't think he could deliver.
There is a thread about hybrid emulation in the minimig forum on the site you can take a look at if you are interested. Pretty good stuff.

Currently it hasn't seen further development though.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

pbsk8 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:13 pmeverybody should gather to make the n64 core!
If THIS will ever happen, I'll immediately shorten my working life and begin retirement! 8-)
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
KremlingKuthroat19

Regarding N64, it's my favorite console, so I'd be more than happy to get it on MiSTer. Will it happen on MiSTer? Probably not. Most likely, it'll happen on a successor board. The good news is that there are already people currently working on porting MiSTer's framework to other FPGA platforms, and if this succeeds, porting MiSTer cores would be as simple as running a script. That may be an oversimplification, but that's what I heard.

There's a Xilinx board that people are considering as an alternative to MiSTer in the future. That's after we get the Saturn and PS1 cores. After that, the next cores that can work in FPGA, but not in MiSTer are the N64, DS and Sega Model 1-2 that I'm aware of. Wouldn't mind paying a heftier price to get N64 and all the MiSTer cores though on a successor. The amount of games you get for the price of MiSTer is 10,000X the ROI.