Donkey Kong Standard version JP instead of US

eewoke

Donkey Kong Standard version JP instead of US

Unread post by eewoke »

Hi,

Can we please make the original JP version standard? The US version is actually an Alternative version. Also in most European countries the stages were 1,2,3,4 from start. This was how it was meant to be.

Thanks.
-= MiSTer FPGA enthusiast =-
callanabrown

Re: Donkey Kong Standard version JP instead of US

Unread post by callanabrown »

The US set has been the standard in MAME as dkong for decades. Given the intertwined nature of MiSTer arcade cores and MAME romsets, I don't think this will be changed just for your regional preference.
eewoke

Unread post by eewoke »

callanabrown wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:01 pm The US set has been the standard in MAME as dkong for decades. Given the intertwined nature of MiSTer arcade cores and MAME romsets, I don't think this will be changed just for your regional preference.
It’s not for me. Historical it’s not right. Mame also should change this.
Zeosstud

Unread post by Zeosstud »

Pretty bold to say historically right.. As a child of the 80's, I played the ever loving sh*t out of Donkey Kong, in my home town and basically everywhere I went for many years.. There was 1 place, 1, that had Donkey Kong where the pie factory was the 2nd screen and you could hold onto the girders and the barrels not come down on you, 1, out of, I am guessing 100's.. I do not think Mame got it wrong, nor do I think Mister got it wrong, that said, 100% I have both Donkey Kong (US) and Donkey Kong (Japan) in my favorites and I always will. I doubt they will change the name of the game to Monkey Kong either, as I think that is what it was supposed to be called.

Zeosstud
eewoke

Unread post by eewoke »

Zeosstud wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:20 pm Pretty bold to say historically right.. As a child of the 80's, I played the ever loving sh*t out of Donkey Kong, in my home town and basically everywhere I went for many years.. There was 1 place, 1, that had Donkey Kong where the pie factory was the 2nd screen and you could hold onto the girders and the barrels not come down on you, 1, out of, I am guessing 100's.. I do not think Mame got it wrong, nor do I think Mister got it wrong, that said, 100% I have both Donkey Kong (US) and Donkey Kong (Japan) in my favorites and I always will. I doubt they will change the name of the game to Monkey Kong either, as I think that is what it was supposed to be called.

Zeosstud
https://www.mariowiki.com/Donkey_Kong_(game)

See the different release dates of the arcade versions.

The name of the game is Donkey Kong, all other assumptions about a possible original name are incorrect:

‘Shigeru Miyamoto, the game’s inventor and the one person who unquestionably knows the origins of the name he chose, has repeatedly affirmed that he used the word “donkey” to convey a sense of stubbornness and the name “Kong” to invoke the image of a gorilla.’

I also like the different versions, just wanted to point out that the order of screens as intended is like on the original Japanese version. Later the order changed when International versions were released. That’s all.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

The Japanese release is the original release for the vast majority of arcade games.

They are also usually exclusively in Japanese.

See the problem?
mikekim

Unread post by mikekim »

eewoke wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:06 am Hi,

Can we please make the original JP version standard? The US version is actually an Alternative version. Also in most European countries the stages were 1,2,3,4 from start. This was how it was meant to be.

Thanks.
Not really an issue, just remove the us "donkey kong.mra" file to somewhere else and remame the jp version and put it in the main directory.

I've basically just got the 75 or so games i play in the main directory, and all of the others in sub folders, if i ever want to play them. much easier to find the games i want to play without having to scroll through hundreds of games
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

I see no issue, a preference was made years ago based on who was working on Mame at the time, and those preferences carried over.
The Default isn't always the original, its what people were nostalgic for or it was what they were exposed to.

You want the Japanese DK to be the default, edit your MRA folders.

The MiSTer is what you put into it
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

eewoke wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:30 am
callanabrown wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:01 pm The US set has been the standard in MAME as dkong for decades. Given the intertwined nature of MiSTer arcade cores and MAME romsets, I don't think this will be changed just for your regional preference.
It’s not for me. Historical it’s not right. Mame also should change this.
Historical is entirely subjective in this case. Is it historical for US players? Is it historical for MAME users? Or is it historical for Japanese players? etc... People expect on arcade emulation to be playing this version, and you can find it anyways in alternatives.
birdybro~
eewoke

Unread post by eewoke »

darksakul wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:33 pm I see no issue, a preference was made years ago based on who was working on Mame at the time, and those preferences carried over.
The Default isn't always the original, its what people were nostalgic for or it was what they were exposed to.

You want the Japanese DK to be the default, edit your MRA folders.

The MiSTer is what you put into it
Thanks! I will do as you suggest.
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

eewoke wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:06 am Hi,

Thanks.
Thanks for pointing to the Japanese version. This is the version I played when I was a kid, now promoted as the standard on my MiSTer ;)
Stinky

Unread post by Stinky »

Oh you mean that Crazy Kong knockoff? Just play the real thing Crazy Kong! :D