CAVE 68000 Any News for MiSTer

jca
Top Contributor

Re: CAVE 68000 Any News for MiSTer

Unread post by jca »

Back to my setup Switched to USB.
Some remarks:
It does not seem to be a memory problem.
It does not seem to be a problem with the media (SD/USB) although it seems to be somewhat better on SD.
The Japan version boots almost every time.
The No Warn version boots most of the time.
The Arrange and International version boot more infrequently with the International version being the most difficult.
When switching between the different mras the remnants of the previous mra are still on the screen and are not static: engines still running, fire ball still whirling, ..., even after a cold boot using MISTer button.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

jca wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:33 pm Back to my setup Switched to USB.
Some remarks:
It does not seem to be a memory problem.
It does not seem to be a problem with the media (SD/USB) although it seems to be somewhat better on SD.
The Japan version boots almost every time.
The No Warn version boots most of the time.
The Arrange and International version boot more infrequently with the International version being the most difficult.
When switching between the different mras the remnants of the previous mra are still on the screen and are not static: engines still running, fire ball still whirling, ..., even after a cold boot using MISTer button.
I have the same behavior with mine that you are seeing.

https://youtu.be/tw9LoUUTthU
birdybro~
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

While updating remotely my MISTer for Minimig I noticed an update to the Cave mras and addition of 2 new ones Dangun Feveron and ESP Ra.De.
I will test them later.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

They aren't working yet; I don't believe the RBF has been updated. (I tried compiling the rbf myself and they don't work with latest code either, so perhaps more work is required)
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks.
Also, the MAME GETTER does not download the dfeveron.zip, only the esprade.zip.
LFT

Unread post by LFT »

The mra files were put in the release folder by error.
These games are not playable yet.
DaveGeorge

Unread post by DaveGeorge »

Mister crashes for me as well. Stuck at a black screen with kbd mode: joystick 1 showing. Has there been a solution to this yet?
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

DaveGeorge wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:48 pm Mister crashes for me as well. Stuck at a black screen with kbd mode: joystick 1 showing. Has there been a solution to this yet?
Have you waited enough for the core to boot? Some times it takes a good 10-15 seconds. Try the Japanese rom first. Also try cold restarting the MiSTer, then launch again.
@nullobject is aware of the issues and is working to resolve them.
DaveGeorge

lamarax wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:00 pm

Have you waited enough for the core to boot? Some times it takes a good 10-15 seconds. Try the Japanese rom first. Also try cold restarting the MiSTer, then launch again.
@nullobject is aware of the issues and is working to resolve them.
Yup, I even gave it a few minutes. 😛 I’ll give it a few more tries later tonight, especially the japanese rom. Thanks!
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

DaveGeorge wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:47 pm Yup, I even gave it a few minutes. 😛 I’ll give it a few more tries later tonight, especially the japanese rom. Thanks!
Heads up! This important update to the framework by Sorg today, reportedly* fixes the problem as well with the CV 68K core not booting (issues were apparently related).

*I say reportedly because I haven't experienced such a problem myself since beta 5 of the Cave core, although I did often get the 'garbled screen' one that Sorge describes, requiring a hard reset each time.
Michael1260

Unread post by Michael1260 »

Sadly, still doesn’t work for me :-(
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

lamarax wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:45 pm
DaveGeorge wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:47 pm Yup, I even gave it a few minutes. 😛 I’ll give it a few more tries later tonight, especially the japanese rom. Thanks!
Heads up! This important update to the framework by Sorg today, reportedly* fixes the problem as well with the CV 68K core not booting (issues were apparently related).

*I say reportedly because I haven't experienced such a problem myself since beta 5 of the Cave core, although I did often get the 'garbled screen' one that Sorge describes, requiring a hard reset each time.
The issue that bellwood420 tries to fix with the menu core is not related to the issue of the Cave core. Sorgelig describes it a "DDR3 bridge hang". As the issue here only affects users with certain SD-RAM modules it is not a DDR3 issue.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Please follow the issue before commenting. DoDonPachi core depends on DDRAM onboard the D-10 (I can't be more technical in my description here).

The whole SDRAM thing has been beaten to death, and I think most of us (including Jotego himself at this point) have come to conclusions regarding possible ways of tackling relevant restrictions. The Cave core booting issue has nothing to do with SDRAM whatsoever.

Thank you!
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Apologies I wasn't aware of this development, should have paid more attention you are right. I still thought of the SDRam issue that this core has and that in fact is tied to the module (was able to test it myself). The DDR issue is something different. Let's see if it works.
DaveGeorge

Updating the menu core did not help me get the Cave core to work either unfortunatly. But from what I understand the update is supposed to help video from glitching out occasionally after changing cores?
Michael1260

Unread post by Michael1260 »

DaveGeorge wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:31 pm Updating the menu core did not help me get the Cave core to work either unfortunatly. But from what I understand the update is supposed to help video from glitching out occasionally after changing cores?
Yes, it’s rare but sometimes, weird screen after changing cores
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Michael1260 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:47 pm Yes, it’s rare but sometimes, weird screen after changing cores
Guys, please pay attention to the update notes Sorg posted... no hot-swapping cores; go back to the main menu, preferably after a cold boot
(you know this fancy button on the left), then load afresh.
DaveGeorge

I never hot-swap, I always reboot. But sometimes (when menu wallpaper is enabled) the screen glitches out when doing a normal reboot, and I need to do a cold reboot. (This never happens on my crt where I don’t have wallpaper enabled) That is what the new update is fixing, right?

Regarding the cave core I have never gotten it to work, fresh start or not.
nullobject
Core Developer

Unread post by nullobject »

If you are having trouble booting the core, please try the latest (unreleased) version.

Make sure you update the main menu core also.

And if you can please you let me know in the GitHub issue if it works/doesn't work for you: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... /issues/18

Arcade-Cave_20210128.zip
(3.75 MiB) Downloaded 104 times
MiSTer core developer: Rygar, Gemini Wing, Silkworm, CAVE
Support me on Patreon
DaveGeorge

Thanks! That build worked for me. Made a comment on github as well.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

FatSlob71 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:07 pm Can you do SOS Fever next plz ?
Guess what dropped today... ;)

1st closed beta
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

Joy!
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Yesterday I tried DoDonPachi and found the same problems. Game would lock up and crash. I read the comments here and so tried playing after a reboot but still got the crash. I was using a PS3 game pad which I hadn't used in a while. Today I hooked up my X-Arcade joystick and tried DoDonPachi and it worked perfectly. I have no idea what's going on there.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Well I have sussed out the problem. It's nothing to do with the core, it's the PS3 joypad. The left hand joystick when it is pushed in is pausing the game. I am not intentionally pressing it in but because of frantic movements it is registering. I need to find a way of deactivating that button.
XtraSmiley

Unread post by XtraSmiley »

Aspie wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:26 am Well I have sussed out the problem. It's nothing to do with the core, it's the PS3 joypad. The left hand joystick when it is pushed in is pausing the game. I am not intentionally pressing it in but because of frantic movements it is registering. I need to find a way of deactivating that button.
Can't you just assign pause to another button?
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

I guess I could but I never assigned pause to that button in the first place
XtraSmiley

Aspie wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:19 am I guess I could but I never assigned pause to that button in the first place
So the default for pause on the controller may be P3, so if you reassign it to another button, leaving P3 unassigned, it may allow the core to run with that controller.

Regardless, you should let Nullobject know via a bug report so he can squash it!
Harrumph

Unread post by Harrumph »

On my Mister, Dodonpachi always seems to run at 57.2 Hz instead of 57.4 Hz. Any clue as to why?
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Thanks XtraSmiley. When I initially setup the PS3 joystick it never asks to assign a pause. It assigns left, right, up, down, then the 4 buttons, then left trigger right trigger, select and start, menu, menu select and menu back. Do you mean after I have done this I should then reassign the joystick press to some obscure key I don't use on say my keyboard?
XtraSmiley

Aspie wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:51 am Thanks XtraSmiley. When I initially setup the PS3 joystick it never asks to assign a pause. It assigns left, right, up, down, then the 4 buttons, then left trigger right trigger, select and start, menu, menu select and menu back. Do you mean after I have done this I should then reassign the joystick press to some obscure key I don't use on say my keyboard?
Yes, in the DDP menu, select assign to this game and the "pause" will the be last (or next to last) button. Usually. I can't 100% remember on this core. But on the CPS cores for example, that's how it goes.

Please post back if this works and let him know if that's the issue!