Noob questions from Defender and Robotron fan

jimmer

Noob questions from Defender and Robotron fan

Unread post by jimmer »

I just discovered this project today, and I'm excited because of what it might offer. Currently I use JROK Williams FPGA, and I also compile my own groovymame.

I'm hoping that Mister will give me a configurable version of the JROK that also plays some other games like Asteroids and Missile Command (although it doesn't look like it is done).

Would like to hear from Defender and Robotron fans about how good the emulation is, or pointers to any discussions on this. Maybe I will need to dive into github to find the developers?

I make my own version of Defender, I suppose I will have to get into the code to add them (I've seen mention of ROM checksums).

Any info to get me started appreciated.
Vic20-Ian

Re: Noob questions from Defender and Robotron fan

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

It does hundreds of the things you want but not Missile Command yet.

Defender and Robotron are very good as is Joust.

Lots of options for a large portion of the older arcade and many computer systems from EDSAC to Amiga
jimmer

Unread post by jimmer »

I've found youtube videos of Defender and Robotron. The sound is off on all(?) of them, pitch too high.

I've read somewhere else about opencores 6800/2 implementation being too fast. Is that the reason for bad sound?

And what about the 6809 implementation? is that accurate or not?
WolfgangBlack

Unread post by WolfgangBlack »

Maybe that's the issue.
MiSTer is not emulation though, there is a difference between FPGAs and emulations.
There are some great devs working on arcade cores so maybe post an issue on the Github about that.
I wouldn't go by sound on a youtube video to determine the accuracy of the sound of arcade machines though.
You'll need to hear it directly from an actual real arcade machine if you want accuracy.
If you want to develop code for MiSTer then check out the wiki and learn the framework for MiSTer.
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

Sound pitch is definitely too high. MAME has correct audio to compare.
timmytook

Unread post by timmytook »

Robotron and Joust are two of my all time favorites. I like Defender, but was never good at it back in the 80's. I've played all of them on MAME and my JROK WIlliams board. I recently got a MiSTer board and have played the Williams games. I still setting up a arcade control panel as my X-Arcade stick has too many buttons to play Robotron as I'm used to.