Atari Games cores (late 80s/early 90s)

atarieyes

Atari Games cores (late 80s/early 90s)

Unread post by atarieyes »

Is there much interest in Atari Games cores from the late 80s/early 90s arcade era? I'm very much looking forward to the day when games like Xybots, Klax, STUN Runner, Hard Drivin', and Steel Talons, for example, show up on MiSTer.

If it happens, great! If not, well, thankfully they can all be played on the Atari Lynx and are for the most part (with the exception of Hard Drivin') excellent ports. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if it's on anybody's "maybe someday" list or if there's much interest from the community at all.

At the very least, I'd be curious to know if the polygon games like STUN Runner and Hard Drivin' would even be playable on MiSTer.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Atari Games cores (late 80s/early 90s)

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I would certainly be interested in those. Played the excellent ports a lot on my Lynx. I think the filled vector game hardware will be a lot of work to recreate, I haven't heard that anyone is working on it or planning to.

Atari System 1 is being worked on: https://github.com/d18c7db/atari_system1_fpga this includes games like Marble Madness and Roadblasters.

I don't remember anyone working on System 2 yet, which includes APB, 720 and Paperboy. This one might be a case of upgrading the System 1 core when it is done.

Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

I would absolutely love to see more Atari arcade games being developed for the MiSTer.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Star Wars! Enough said. ;-)

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

Marble Madness.. what an absolute classic game

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

I love Atari. They rightfully get a lot of flack for the video game crash, but they really were the masters of the arcades before Sega took the crown by the late 80s. The more Atari games the better. I'd personally be most excited about getting more of those vintage discrete logic games. This is where gaming began, and it's fascinating to see how influential those games are. Try playing Space Race. It's pretty fun!

Marble Madness 2 is an unreleased arcade game that finally got dumped so I'd love to see that some day.

Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

bazza_12 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:29 pm

Marble Madness.. what an absolute classic game

Yes, indeed!

offset

Unread post by offset »

+1 for Hard/Race Drivin (compact upright), not only because they are fun to play, but because I keep having to repair the pcb's in my game (vram) :)

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

There is a PS1 port of Race Drivin' (Race Drivin' a Go! Go!) if anyone wants to check it out in the meantime.

tcdev

Unread post by tcdev »

atarieyes wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:40 am

I'm very much looking forward to the day when games like Xybots, Klax, STUN Runner, Hard Drivin', and Steel Talons, for example, show up on MiSTer.

I'm not familiar with the hardware yet, but I'm considering having a crack at Xybots. It was one of the games I used to play back in the day... I'm looking to order the GRS Super Joystick Ikari Warriors edition and use that on MiSTer...