Playing tate mode cores on analog out

bengmo

Playing tate mode cores on analog out

Unread post by bengmo »

I've been searching for a way to play tate games on my TV. I am using a 27' trinitron and turning it on the side is not really practical or safe. I am using RGB with the analog board.

My latest attempt was to create a custom video mode line in the INI file that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Arkanoid]
video_mode=320,08,32,24,240,4,3,16,6048
vga_scaler=1
I had hopes that using the VGA scaler and setting it to 240p resolution would allow me to basically just use the scaler to rotate the image at the cost of some lag. The custom video mode doesn't seem to be applied though 224x265 is still displayed on startup.

I got the idea from this thread while I was looking for a way to use background images: https://www.reddit.com/r/fpgagaming/com ... _on_15khz/

Does anyone have any advice for how to get this working?
LeftEmpty

Re: Playing tate mode cores on analog out

Unread post by LeftEmpty »

the [xxx] needs to be the name of the romset, as displayed in the MRA or on the left of the OSD screen when playing the game.
Also, bear in mind that you will have a game really cropped to display that way. On a Saturn, most arcade ports looked terrible if not in Tate. I expect this might be the same here. I confess to having never tried it though.
bengmo

Unread post by bengmo »

Thanks, that did indeed get it to use the custom video mode. Sadly all I got was a scrambled mess.
LeftEmpty

Unread post by LeftEmpty »

I tried it with 1942 1943 and am in the same spot, it doesn't seem the rotate option works as it does in HDMI.
Maybe one needs to output the signal in direct video using the HDMI plug with a converter?

Back to building up muscles and backaches when wanting to play Tate, I guess :D
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I tried to do this on RPi, but never managed to completely sort it out, even using advmame. There were always some scaling artifacts.

Probably best solution is to find yourself an extra 21" TV (if you have some other source, probably not worth it for few vert cores in MiSTer) . Turning a 27 incher around is not something I'd attempt on my own :)
suverman

Unread post by suverman »

The cores dont rotate on analogue only happens on HDMI which uses an extra frame buffer which adds a frame of lag.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

I have one TV permanently in TATE for this reason. I'm getting too old to keep flipping 27" CRTs!

If you have loads of money, I'd suggest getting a 20" PVM for TATE play, I had one back when they weren't super expensive and it was glorious.

Any console port of a TATE game shows rotating in 240p always looks awful. I'd probably just use a HDMI monitor instead.