Time Pilot '84 for MiSTer

Ace
Core Developer

Re: Time Pilot '84 for MiSTer

Unread post by Ace »

I don't need any of the Konami custom chips or SN76489 (Arnim Laeuger's implementation is present in the Colecovision core but has off-by-1 errors in the tone generator and an incorrect LFSR which I've fixed for Time Pilot '84, and I brute-forced the Konami custom chips using those from an actual Time Pilot '84 PCB), but thanks for offering. All I need is a stable core that is consistent between different MiSTers and the currently unreleased build that adds a watchdog toggle is what will be posted to the MiSTer GitHub (it's dated August 2, but I didn't manage to get any time to post it).
Arcade core dev. for MiSTer.
Complete: Arkanoid, Time Pilot '84, Iron Horse, Jackal, Jailbreak (collab with Blackwine), Scooter Shooter, Finalizer - Super Transformation
In progress: none
lupin3rd

Unread post by lupin3rd »

Ace wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:13 pm...That said, I do still need to get my hands on a Time Pilot '84 PCB running Set 3 as this version has a completely different memory map to Set 1 and Set 2 on the primary CPU and I want to make a 1:1 model of this.
Is there a simple visual way to identify a Time Pilot '84 Revision 3 board? I know where a working TP84 board is, but since it's in a friend's arcade at the moment, I can't just pull a ROM out to dump and check which revision it is. However, if there's a visual way to identify it, I could: a.) Find out if it would be useful, b.) Trace the address lines and help identify the differences in the memory map, or c.) Take a bunch of super highly detailed photos of the board.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to send you the board, but I think between the both of us, we could identify the differences you are after.
Ace
Core Developer

Unread post by Ace »

Sets 1 and 2 use 4 ROMs on the primary CPU while Set 3 consolidates this down into two ROMs and may do the same with the sprite ROMs. There was one Time Pilot '84 board I had seen on eBay that I presume is Set 3 as it looks quite a bit different to the board I was loaned for the MiSTer core, which runs on Set 2. Some of the board layout has been reworked to include extra jumpers and the ROMs are soldered on top of being mask ROMs rather than EPROMs. That might be a clue as to whether or not a Time Pilot '84 PCB runs on Set 3. I don't exactly know what's different about Set 3 other than the completely revised memory map on the primary CPU (I know Set 1 has a different set of life counts to set via the DIP switches than Set 2, but am not quite sure what's different beyond that, though weirdly, Set 3 reverts to Set 1's life counts).
Arcade core dev. for MiSTer.
Complete: Arkanoid, Time Pilot '84, Iron Horse, Jackal, Jailbreak (collab with Blackwine), Scooter Shooter, Finalizer - Super Transformation
In progress: none
lupin3rd

Unread post by lupin3rd »

I'll look into it and report back what I can find. I may take my EPROM burner to the arcade and dump the ROMs to see if mame identifies them. Are you using the ROM set names that mame uses? If so, that will help me determine if I have access to what you need.