Preserving Arcade Core High Scores

muthuxmut

Re: Preserving Arcade Core High Scores

Unread post by muthuxmut »

Hey jimmystones,
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) auto save works but in the menu when setting autosave to ON,the 'anaolog Video V-Pos' gets set to 4.
if autosave is turned back off the 'anaolog Video V-Pos' is set back to 0.
attempting to set the 'anaolog Video V-Pos' to 0 turns OFF autosave.

some other random weirdness inbetween those two settings. auto save might also be getting set to off on reboot ??
or its too late and i'm hellish confused

thanks for your hard work on this feature, much appreciation :D
Galaga Tragic :)
jimmystones
Core Developer

Unread post by jimmystones »

muthuxmut wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:10 am Hey jimmystones,
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) auto save works but in the menu when setting autosave to ON,the 'anaolog Video V-Pos' gets set to 4.
if autosave is turned back off the 'anaolog Video V-Pos' is set back to 0.
attempting to set the 'anaolog Video V-Pos' to 0 turns OFF autosave.

some other random weirdness inbetween those two settings. auto save might also be getting set to off on reboot ??
or its too late and i'm hellish confused

thanks for your hard work on this feature, much appreciation :D
Arg, if I accidentally re-used a menu bit for autosave that was already in use with the AV positioning then it will definitely misbehave :(

Turns out someone else already reported this bug and I didn't get notified (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... /issues/35) so I will look at fixing it this evening!
muthuxmut

Thanks jimmystones. I was tired and forgot to jump into the git for existing report.

You should setup a https://ko-fi.com/ or paypal donation button :)
jimmystones
Core Developer

I have a Kofi link on my Github page, but good point, it's in my sig now :D

The pull request for the Donkey Kong fix is in and waiting for approval, hopefully Sorg will catch it today...
muthuxmut

jimmystones wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:57 am I have a Kofi link on my Github page, but good point, it's in my sig now :D

The pull request for the Donkey Kong fix is in and waiting for approval, hopefully Sorg will catch it today...
few coffees sent :)

I added your link to the thread for patreon/supports list
thanks jimmystones, may your stones remain large and productive :D
jimmystones
Core Developer

Cheers!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

jimmystones wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:35 pm Turns out someone else already reported this bug and I didn't get notified (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... /issues/35) so I will look at fixing it this evening!
Yes, that was me :) I was going through the vertical cores on my CRT and reported a few things I encountered here and there. Odd that the notifications don't work, I hope they did for the other things I reported.

Great that it has already been fixed!
jimmystones
Core Developer

I hadn't realised (or rather considered) that only the repo owner gets notified of issues by default - so Sorg will have got it but he probably gets a LOT!

I've set most of the repos I've touched to notify me now, but the safest way would be to @JimmyStones me in the issue if it's highscore related anyway, then I'll definitely hear about it
muthuxmut

Forgot to reply here. Donkey Kong all fixed up :)
Thanks jimmystones
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

I noticed today that Eyes has an option in the menu to autosave high scores and it creates a NVM file but the high scores aren't actually saved. jimmystones: do you know if this is supposed to be working or maybe it was accidentally added to the menu for that core? I'm loving that game lately and hoping it'll get high score save at some point :D

I also noticed there's no high score saving in Pac-man, I could've sworn that was there before at some point :?
jimmystones
Core Developer

netbeui wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:22 pm I noticed today that Eyes has an option in the menu to autosave high scores and it creates a NVM file but the high scores aren't actually saved. jimmystones: do you know if this is supposed to be working or maybe it was accidentally added to the menu for that core? I'm loving that game lately and hoping it'll get high score save at some point :D

I also noticed there's no high score saving in Pac-man, I could've sworn that was there before at some point :?
Hmm.. well Pac-Man definitely does have high score saves for me, so not sure what is going on there :? Do you definitely have the latest 'Pac-Man (Midway).mra'?

As for Eyes, well, it didn't work, and I accidentally shipped it as you suspected :P However I just gave it a another try and managed to fix it so there is a PR waiting approval that should sort it out!
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

jimmystones wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:54 pm
netbeui wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:22 pm I noticed today that Eyes has an option in the menu to autosave high scores and it creates a NVM file but the high scores aren't actually saved. jimmystones: do you know if this is supposed to be working or maybe it was accidentally added to the menu for that core? I'm loving that game lately and hoping it'll get high score save at some point :D

Hmm.. well Pac-Man definitely does have high score saves for me, so not sure what is going on there :? Do you definitely have the latest 'Pac-Man (Midway).mra'?

As for Eyes, well, it didn't work, and I accidentally shipped it as you suspected :P However I just gave it a another try and managed to fix it so there is a PR waiting approval that should sort it out!
I ran update_all just this morning so I assume Pac-Man (Midway).mra is the latest version. If I delete that mra and run update_all again will that force a download of the latest version?

Thanks for fixing Eyes!! 8-)
jimmystones
Core Developer

Update all should always get you the latest, so must be something else going on.

Do you not have the Autosave Hiscores option at all in the OSD when you load the Pacman core then?
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

Correct - there's no option at all for me to save high scores in Pac-man. So weird :?
jimmystones
Core Developer

Ehhmm.. Well, it's worth deleting the MRA and getting update all to re-download it just to ensure it isn't weirdly corrupted I suppose. If you attach your current one here I'll see if anything looks amiss?
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

That worked! I deleted the mra and re-ran update_all and everything is back to normal. I'll keep this in mind in case I find any other weirdness in the future. Thanks for your help!
jimmystones
Core Developer

Phew, good to know. Wasn't making a lot of sense otherwise!
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

jimmystones wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:34 pm Evening,

Sega System 1 caused me some headaches, but it's finally done!

That gives you high score save/load and pause for:
- 4-D Warriors
- Block Gal
- Bullfight
- Flicky
- I'm Sorry
- Mister Viking
- My Hero
- Pitfall II
- Rafflesia
- Regulus
- Sega Ninja
- Spatter
- Star Jacker
- Swat
- TeddyBoy Blues
- Up'n Down

Enjoy :)
Hi jimmystones, I noticed high score save isn't available in Up'n Down, I took a quick look at a few of the other Sega System 1 cores and it looks like it's not there for any of them. Is this a complicated fix or something I can update myself in the Up'n Down MRA? Please let me know - thanks!
jimmystones
Core Developer

I assume you mean autosave isn't there, it should definitely still have the old manual 'Save Settings' based hiscore save/load support?

Basically BlackWine was working on some updates to this core so I left it alone to avoid confusion and conflicts at the time. Then I might have forgotten about it :D

I'll give him a shout and see if it's time to get autosave done (and unfortunately no it's not a simple MRA change this time, needs a fair few code changes and a rebuild).
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

jimmystones wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:40 pm I assume you mean autosave isn't there, it should definitely still have the old manual 'Save Settings' based hiscore save/load support?

Basically BlackWine was working on some updates to this core so I left it alone to avoid confusion and conflicts at the time. Then I might have forgotten about it :D

I'll give him a shout and see if it's time to get autosave done (and unfortunately no it's not a simple MRA change this time, needs a fair few code changes and a rebuild).
No I don't see any option to save high scores at all, do you have the option in your Up'n Down?
Attachments
UpNDown.png
UpNDown.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 6523 times
jimmystones
Core Developer

Ah, so prior to the most recent updates where I added the 'Autosave Hiscores' option to the OSD menu, hiscore load/save support was handled invisibly, and you have to go to the second OSD page and hit 'Save Settings' to save the scores. If you get a score, try pressing Save Settings and then reloading the core, it should work (at least it did last time I tried!)
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

Just tested it and it works just fine when I manually save, which I don't mind doing at all. Sorry I should've tried this myself before posting, I assumed high scores weren't saved since the autosave option wasn't in the menu. Thanks for all your contributions jimmystones - really appreciate it!
jimmystones
Core Developer

No worries, I'll probably get autosave sorted on that core this month finally!
spikemorrissey

Unread post by spikemorrissey »

Hi Jimmy,

Everything ok with you? It has been a while since the last post from you
jimmystones
Core Developer

I'm good thanks :) Just got distracted and made a new arcade core instead!!

Still need to check in with blackwine and see if the Sega System 1 is ready to get autosave though, good reminder.
spikemorrissey

jimmystones wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:40 am I'm good thanks :) Just got distracted and made a new arcade core instead!!

Still need to check in with blackwine and see if the Sega System 1 is ready to get autosave though, good reminder.
That's good to know. Thank you for implementing the save high scores - it really adds to my enjoyment of Mister.

Do you think its possible you could add the feature to Centipede please?
jimmystones
Core Developer

How did we forget Centipede!?

I remember trying to do that right at the beginning but it uses NVRAM and the original author hadn't implemented it, and I was clueless :D

Given I have a working simulation of it now, and understand so much more than I did a year ago, it should be doable so I'll put it on the to-do list.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

jimmystones wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:02 pm How did we forget Centipede!?

I remember trying to do that right at the beginning but it uses NVRAM and the original author hadn't implemented it, and I was clueless :D

Given I have a working simulation of it now, and understand so much more than I did a year ago, it should be doable so I'll put it on the to-do list.
Check the MiST version too and see if there are any updates.
spikemorrissey

Fantastic! thank you
killersquirel

Unread post by killersquirel »

I believe Food Fight also uses NVRAM. If you get it working in Centipede will Food Fight be possible? Thanks again and I absolutely love the new arcade core that you developed. I love those 70s games.