Preserving Arcade Core High Scores

jimmystones
Core Developer

Re: Preserving Arcade Core High Scores

Unread post by jimmystones »

pgimeno wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:03 pm Isn't it the area between 8840h and 885Dh inclusive? Or is the problem something else?
That is the chunk, but that part of the RAM is already dual-ported and used by the video system - had similar problems in the past, but the usual techniques have so far only achieved great highscore support but horrific video corruption!
Zeosstud

Unread post by Zeosstud »

All the best @jimmystones, please do not lose any sleep over it, but know, many others appreciate your efforts!!

Zeosstud
jimmystones
Core Developer

Highscores and pause just added to Xevious, finally a game I can consistently beat the default high score on :D

Still on the production line are Time Pilot, Galaga and of course Pengo... All proving troublesome in their own special ways!
Zeosstud

Steller work @jimmystones

I just set my personal high score on Pengo, 264,250 Looking forward to the day when all the scores will save, your efforts are appreciated!!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

jimmystones wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:30 am Highscores and pause just added to Xevious, finally a game I can consistently beat the default high score on :D

Still on the production line are Time Pilot, Galaga and of course Pengo... All proving troublesome in their own special ways!
That' s great! Fantastic work, many thanks! Is it asking too much to add Gemini Wing to your list? Thanks a lot :mrgreen:
jimmystones
Core Developer

I already had a request for the Tecmo core, but I couldn't build it successfully (even straight out of the repo with no changes) for some as yet unknown reason.. I've reached out to nullobject to see if he can shed light on it but he is a busy man...

Once I get some of these other cores out the way I will circle back to it anyway. I'll have to dig into SignalTap and see what's happening in it's head - it's in the most demoralizing state a core can be, just boots to a black screen and nothing more!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

jimmystones wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:37 am I already had a request for the Tecmo core, but I couldn't build it successfully (even straight out of the repo with no changes) for some as yet unknown reason.. I've reached out to nullobject to see if he can shed light on it but he is a busy man...

Once I get some of these other cores out the way I will circle back to it anyway. I'll have to dig into SignalTap and see what's happening in it's head - it's in the most demoralizing state a core can be, just boots to a black screen and nothing more!
I see, many thanks for the heads up. Really, your hard work is very much appreciated. I have no doubts you will find a solution :D

I have asked about Gemini Wing in particular as I have been playing it a lot recently along with Youjyuden, 1942 and Commando. My skills are really improving..cough..cough...almost as good as back in the day :roll:

Thanks again and good luck with SignalTap II. Please keep us updated!
jimmystones
Core Developer

Highscore and pause support is in for Time Pilot - pause is a bit ugly as the cloud layers don't stay in line, but functionally it works so I'll have to come back later and work that one out.

Oh and Pengo is done too :D
Alkadian
Top Contributor

jimmystones wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:51 am Highscore and pause support is in for Time Pilot - pause is a bit ugly as the cloud layers don't stay in line, but functionally it works so I'll have to come back later and work that one out.

Awesome news, thanks a lot jimmystones!! I knew you would succeed at the end :mrgreen:
Zeosstud

Do we need to just do an update_all to get these magical fixes?
jimmystones
Core Developer

Yep, update all should do the trick :D
Zeosstud

I went and grabbed the .rbf from github and installed it.. I know I am using the correct one as the game now has pause that you can map and works!! But it did not save my high score even though I made sure after my game was over I went into the menu and hit Save Settings ( a few times ) before I booted another game, then went back into Pengo..

Kindly tell me what I am doing wrong and the next beer is on me!!
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Zeosstud wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:14 pm I went and grabbed the .rbf from github and installed it.. I know I am using the correct one as the game now has pause that you can map and works!! But it did not save my high score even though I made sure after my game was over I went into the menu and hit Save Settings ( a few times ) before I booted another game, then went back into Pengo..

Kindly tell me what I am doing wrong and the next beer is on me!!
Did you update the MRA? the MRA has the information on which parts of memory to save and restore.
jimmystones
Core Developer

alanswx speaks the truth - without the updated MRA the core won't know where to read/write the scores in game RAM
Zeosstud

so I did a full update.. but even that did not get the correct .mra..

so I went to the github and got the latest .mra for 100% sure this time..

IT FREAKING WORKED..

That is right, Pengo now has pause and high score saving, so cool!!

@JimmyStones is killing it!!
mhartman

Unread post by mhartman »

jimmystones wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:51 am Highscore and pause support is in for Time Pilot - pause is a bit ugly as the cloud layers don't stay in line, but functionally it works so I'll have to come back later and work that one out.

You rock. Thank you!! BTW, I would love to see Donkey Kong high score support if you ever find the time.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Zeosstud wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:46 pm so I did a full update.. but even that did not get the correct .mra..

so I went to the github and got the latest .mra for 100% sure this time..

IT FREAKING WORKED..

That is right, Pengo now has pause and high score saving, so cool!!

@JimmyStones is killing it!!
If the update script did not update the mra what other mras are not updated? What is the solution? Delete every single mra and rerun the update script?
jimmystones
Core Developer

I've logged an issue on the updater repo, hopefully one of the maintainers will pick it up and fix the issue soon enough.

I'm not sure if deleting the MRAs would do the trick or not, but you could try deleting one and see what happens?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

jimmystones wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:17 pm I've logged an issue on the updater repo, hopefully one of the maintainers will pick it up and fix the issue soon enough.

I'm not sure if deleting the MRAs would do the trick or not, but you could try deleting one and see what happens?
I can confirm the same behaviour here. In my case even deleting the MRA's doesn't help. I have to manually download the MRA'S every time. I am sure it will get fixed.

So far now more than happy to download the latest updates as they become available :mrgreen:
Zeosstud

Worked on making sure that my "Favorite" arcade games that support high score saving all have the right .mra and updated .rbfs today.. By my count over 70% of the games I care about all have High Score saving working, right now.. That is crazy..

Thanks to everyone that is working on this stuff.. Makes this old man happy and is a great 54th Birthday present ( Sunday )..

Donkey Kong
Galaga
Dig Dug

From my list the 3 that I bet a lot of people will be super happy with when they are finished, I know DK and Galaga are already being looked at, just wanted to send a late night shout out, I do not know how you guys do it, but I sure do appreciate it..

-Zeosstud
Rodney Butler
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Zeosstud wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:15 am Worked on making sure that my "Favorite" arcade games that support high score saving all have the right .mra and updated .rbfs today.. By my count over 70% of the games I care about all have High Score saving working, right now.. That is crazy..

Thanks to everyone that is working on this stuff.. Makes this old man happy and is a great 54th Birthday present ( Sunday )..

Donkey Kong
Galaga
Dig Dug

From my list the 3 that I bet a lot of people will be super happy with when they are finished, I know DK and Galaga are already being looked at, just wanted to send a late night shout out, I do not know how you guys do it, but I sure do appreciate it..

-Zeosstud
Rodney Butler
I am glad you like this feature.. we were tackling the systems that support more than one game first. Excited that JimmyStones and now BlackWine are helping (doing most of the work)! Super excited that Pacman has flip now.
jimmystones
Core Developer

I concur, good to know people appreciate it :)

I've set up a project on GitHub to show what's in progress (and to keep track of things in my head!)

https://github.com/JimmyStones/Hiscores ... projects/1

Nearly there with DK!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

@alanswx, @jimmystones, @blackwine

Thank you so much for your hard work which is very much appreciated from my side as well!! :mrgreen:
retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

I'd like to throw Moon Patrol onto the list for Pause and High Score retention. :)
jimmystones
Core Developer

Request accepted :)
jimmystones
Core Developer

Donkey Kong now has high score save/load and pause (and by extension so does the dodgy Donkey Kong 3 bootleg and Radar Scope), enjoy :)
Alkadian
Top Contributor

jimmystones wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:47 pm Donkey Kong now has high score save/load and pause (and by extension so does the dodgy Donkey Kong 3 bootleg and Radar Scope), enjoy :)
Excellent news, many thanks!
mhartman

Unread post by mhartman »

jimmystones wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:47 pm Donkey Kong now has high score save/load and pause (and by extension so does the dodgy Donkey Kong 3 bootleg and Radar Scope), enjoy :)
You rock my friend. Thank you!
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Brilliant Jimmy. This is the one I've been waiting for
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Wow!!