CPS1 RAM Requirement

dano

CPS1 RAM Requirement

Unread post by dano »

I'd checked the wiki and can't even find CPS1 entry.

I'm just wondering can this run on 32 ram??
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: CPS1 ram requirement

Unread post by rhester72 »

As far as I know, only NeoGeo requires more than 32MB
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

dano wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:58 am I'd checked the wiki and can't even find CPS1 entry.

I'm just wondering can this run on 32 ram??
Yes, it does. With 32MB all games run flawlessly.
sow-gin

Unread post by sow-gin »

Thanks for the clarification, I don't know why it is so hard to get documentation on SDRAM requirements for Arcade cores.
Every webpage I have been reading says that Arcade cores do not require additional SDRAM. I have tried so many Arcade
cores along with CPS1 cores and just get a blank screen and I was always thinking I had the wrong core, mra or rom file.
Now it turns out that is was just adding some SDRAM.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

in case someone googles what they can play with the stock RAM - i have found that only the genesis core would run without SDRAM expansion. all the other cores i tried with the stock RAM, i would just get a black screen or garbled graphics

i have not tried CPS1 without expanded SDRAM so i cant comment, altho sow-gin is also saying they could not run CPS1 with the stock RAM. but i do specifically remember not being to play SNES/NES/GBA/GB when i first got my mister

cores may be different now and optimized for the stock RAM, but that was my experience.
basically, the mister isnt complete without SDRAM upgrade
12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

PikWik wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:42 am in case someone googles what they can play with the stock 32MB of RAM - i have found that only the genesis core would run without SDRAM expansion. all the other cores i had tried with 32MB i would just get a black screen or garbled graphics
You seem to confuse the type of RAM with its size. Many cores require an SDRAM expansion to supplement the onboard DDR3 RAM, see wiki. However, with exception for playing some larger sized Neo Geo games, 128 MB SDRAM is not required but the "old" 32 MB expansion will be sufficient.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

ahh, i do apologize if i confused anyone

i tried a number of cores with the stock RAM and found the genesis core was the only one that loaded without issue and was playable.
for me, all the cores i wanted to play (SNES, NES, GBA, GBC, neogeo) wouldn't load the game and i would just get a black screen

i know smokemonster made a video showing what cores would work with the stock RAM, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g471imXA7U
and it would be awesome if someone could make a followup with the latest cores and compatibility with the stock RAM

TL;DR - from smokemonster's video, the stock DE10 nano will play ao486, atari 2600, older arcades (pacman, DK, galaxian), genesis, sega master system, & turbografx
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

There is no "stock 32MB". "Stock" is the RAM built into the DE10-Nano on-die (and it's a LOT more than 32MB). The 32MB (and 128MB) SDRAM module is separate, and required now for _most_ cores (Genesis is a notable exception).
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

bah, sorry yall
i see what youre talking about now :oops:

(i dont know why i had it stuck in my head the stock RAM on the MiSTer was 32MB. i edited my responses to just say stock RAM)