Kung-Fu Master Core

bigrico2000

Kung-Fu Master Core

Unread post by bigrico2000 »

At the end of the stage when Thomas goes up the stairs, i don't remember him standing visible at the top of the steps. I believe he walked up the steps to the next stage and you couldn't see him any more. Love the game thanks to everyone who made it happen. 8-)
kaz321123

Re: Kung-Fu Master Core

Unread post by kaz321123 »

This game loads for a few seconds, and then crashes.

Something must have happened during the last update. It was working fine before.

Just reporting.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

i see the same thing happening at the end of the stage but my core just works fine and i updated a few days ago.
catenaccio

Unread post by catenaccio »

MostroW wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:27 pm i see the same thing happening at the end of the stage but my core just works fine and i updated a few days ago.
Same behaviour at the end of the stage, but it is working fine anyway
_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

bigrico2000 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:24 pm At the end of the stage when Thomas goes up the stairs, i don't remember him standing visible at the top of the steps. I believe he walked up the steps to the next stage and you couldn't see him any more. Love the game thanks to everyone who made it happen. 8-)
Thanks for confirming that i'm not mad.

Thomas walking to the outside of the roof is strange.

That bug not being fixed so far is stranger...
[-Enforcer-]

Unread post by [-Enforcer-] »

I wonder if that will ever be fixed? It's not gamebreaking of course, but it just feels off when Thomas is not disappearing and walking into the upper screen at the end of each stage. Since we all use the Mister for that perfect accuracy ;)

shertz

Unread post by shertz »

This has been reported years ago. Once again another early 80's arcade game gets ignored after its released much like donkey Kong, tron, dk3, etc. Pretty sad since the mister prides itself on its 'accuracy'. These games including kung-fu master actually work better on the raspberry pi.

tcdev

Unread post by tcdev »

shertz wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:12 am

This has been reported years ago. Once again another early 80's arcade game gets ignored after its released much like donkey Kong, tron, dk3, etc. Pretty sad since the mister prides itself on its 'accuracy'.

This game was ported to MiSTer from another project which never claimed to be 'finished'. I suspect the author of the port is either unaware or unable to fix this issue.

jrcp_kun

Unread post by jrcp_kun »

mister needs a new one then. We will wait for it. Its amazing game

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

I had some free time this weekend so I decided to take a look at the core and see if I can figure anything out.
I came up with what I would call a hack job because I couldn't get enough information to do it the way the hardware does...even MAME does it a...different way.
While looking into the core, I also noticed that sprites were off by a few lines (really noticeable in Lode Runner) so I figured I'll tweak that too.
Attached you'll find the "test" core that you should place in your _Arcade/cores AFTER you rename your original IremM62_20230226.rbf file to something else or back it up.
This core also affects other games (Kid Niki, Battle Roads, Lode Runner....) so, if you are interested, try it out and let me know of any issues that have come up with this change. If all goes well, I'll submit a pull request and see if it gets accepted.

Attachments
IremM62-Sprite-Fix-Test.zip
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 94 times
lagerfeldt

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

That would be awesome. Lode Runner is unplayable for me due to this weird offset.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

shertz

Unread post by shertz »

Flandango wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:25 pm

I had some free time this weekend so I decided to take a look at the core and see if I can figure anything out.
I came up with what I would call a hack job because I couldn't get enough information to do it the way the hardware does...even MAME does it a...different way.
While looking into the core, I also noticed that sprites were off by a few lines (really noticeable in Lode Runner) so I figured I'll tweak that too.
Attached you'll find the "test" core that you should place in your _Arcade/cores AFTER you rename your original IremM62_20230226.rbf file to something else or back it up.
This core also affects other games (Kid Niki, Battle Roads, Lode Runner....) so, if you are interested, try it out and let me know of any issues that have come up with this change. If all goes well, I'll submit a pull request and see if it gets accepted.

Thank you 🙏

HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

I checked Loderunner, Spelunker (had also offset) and Kung Fu Master and the two mentioned bugs are gone. Thank you very much! Finally someone who cares for golden age arcade games :-)

jrcp_kun

can you submit the fix in order to update_all function??

_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

I can confirm that the "ending stairs glitch" in KungFu Master is fixed.
Awesome work, Flandango!!

[-Enforcer-]

Unread post by [-Enforcer-] »

Thanks alot!

Spazmoid

Unread post by Spazmoid »

Thank you so much - @flandango you wouldn’t be able to also fix bombjack if you have some more free time - when you jump to the the top of the screen theres a part of his head that appears incorrectly - I have an original board and it don’t do it there

lagerfeldt

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

Also in Bombjack, the logo is shifted halfways.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

Spazmoid

Unread post by Spazmoid »

Hi @flandango - just another thing I noticed on kung fu master is that if you have hi score saves enabled and score over 100k then the hi score in the game defaults to the original hi score of 48110 and adds a 1 in front (hence you get 148110) so effectively it never displays the correct hi score in game, but the score board on demo saves it correctly - any ideas as I’ve tried deleting the nvram - it did this before your fix too so you haven’t broke anything here 😂

HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Is there a time frame when the core with the fixes will roll out over update_all?

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

I submitted a pull request on the core's github page so it's up to the core's developer/maintainer to accept it and release it.

IanDav

Unread post by IanDav »

It's fixed. Yipeeeeee.

alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Thank you for the fix!

jrcp_kun